Familys Horror Day Out

tlc

hard to imagine that a car could just drive along, stop people get out and shoot what they "thought" was a wild dog then just drive off. What kind of person does that?!

amongst others, people who are heartily sick of seeing the damage feral dogs are doing to their livestock, and to local wildlife .....

We were about to go for a walk in a National Park in Sydney and saw this husky just run across the road from the nearby oval and disappear into the National Park. There were signs there saying no dogs allowed and hefty fines. I tried to find the owner but he was nowhere to be found. If that dog was trapped or shot by a ranger I would not be surprised - but it wouldn't happen and there are fairy penguins around the area. Thoughtless bloody owners. The dog eventually reappeared after a while and ran back to the oval where presumably its idiot owner was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't condone any sort of thrill killing by testosterone driven youths with guns... the shooter needs to be prosecuted under whatever laws he may have broken, without any doubt.

But.... who in their right mind will let their dog run off to do whatever it likes while they fluff about getting the kid out of the car, ostensibly to do same?

There is responsibility for the incident on both sides of the equation here - but one side is just not seeing theirs at all.

T.

What a terrible experience for anyone but when out in the bush I guess people expect animals are safe to be let free. It is possibly a misconception that may need some public education! Certainly will make me think twice in the bush

lets hope the breeder provides them with a lot more then just a puppy. How to properly care for it while travelling should be top of the list

Maybe it's just the cynic in me but I wouldn't donate a puppy to a family who lets their dog run off, offlead in public...

Glad there is someone else thinking the same as I am... the family just dont seem to understand that they were also in the wrong by allowing their dog to wander off out of sight on a country road.

Maybe they learned a really hard lesson... maybe not...

T.

lets hope the breeder provides them with a lot more then just a puppy. How to properly care for it while travelling should be top of the list

Maybe it's just the cynic in me but I wouldn't donate a puppy to a family who lets their dog run off, offlead in public...

Glad there is someone else thinking the same as I am... the family just dont seem to understand that they were also in the wrong by allowing their dog to wander off out of sight on a country road.

Maybe they learned a really hard lesson... maybe not...

T.

I know I would be asking for a signed commitment to never leave her unleashed when travelling. This isnt a breed famous for its high trainabality in obedience, its a working dog with a pretty high level of making executive decisions isnt it?

EG

Do your homework on the breed BEFORE deciding anything. The way your question sounds you haven't as of yet.

A husky can come in any color or combination of color(s) ranging from pure white to pure black and anything in between. The eyes can be any color or combination of colors including light blue, dark blue, green. amber or brown. They can have two of the same color, one of each (bi-eyed) or eyes that have two colors in the same eye (parti-eyed). Any of these are normal. Some people have claimed that the ice blue eyed ones go blind. That is NOT true.

Huskies are a special breed that most definitely is not for everyone. Yes, they are beautiful. Everybody loves them. And they have many good points as well as bad.

The good points:

1. They love people of all ages.

2. They love company.

3. They are extremely intelligent.

4. They are easygoing and forgiving.

5. They are clean with little or no “doggy” smell.

6. They are generally quiet. They rarely bark, but will “talk”

or howl like their wolf ancestors for no reason.

7. They don’t require a lot of food. (get good fuel mileage)

8. They are honest. Their body language and voice can be

taken at face value

9. They are not fussy eaters and will eat anything that doesn’t eat them first. But they do require a proper diet. (see # 6 on the next page)

10. They usually get along with other well adjusted canines

but will take up a challenge if offered.

The bad points:

1. They love people …. any people. This is sometimes

seen as a lack of loyalty.

2. They are not guard dogs in any sense of the word although they may come to your defense.

3. They have a STRONG desire to run. This cannot be

trained out of them.They must be kept in a secure

area. They are escape artists like a hairy Houdini.

4. They are extremely intelligent and mischievous. You

have to be smarter than they are to stay ahead of

them. Don’t laugh. It’s true, they are smarter than

most people.

5. They are too independent and strong willed to make

it through obedience training. (see # 4 above)

6. They are very keen and efficient hunter / killers.

7. They must be kept occupied. A bored Husky is a

destructive Husky. (see # 10 on next page)

8. They shed. A LOT! Year round. Then twice a year or more they “blow” their coats. This takes shedding to a whole new level.

9. They dig …. A LOT! You could rent your yard

to NASA to train astronauts on.

10. They need company, either human or canine and will

be miserable without it. Though they can survive

outdoors they really need to be inside with their

“pack”……. YOU!

11. They can live 12 to 14 years. Maybe longer. This is

not a bad thing. But can YOU live with a 2 year

old that long? That’s what it’s like with a Husky

in your life.

Know what you are getting yourself into. If you can't handle the challange unfortunately it will be the Husky that pays the price.

If you do decide that you can handle the challange, go through a rescue group. DON'T go to a pet shop or a back yard breeder.

Source(s):

25 years of being owned by Siberian Huskies. I currently have 14 (15 until one died this past summer from medical issues) Huskies most of whom were rescued by us.

True dog shouldnt be off lead next to raod. Yes wild dogs are a problem for livestock and farmers do and should have the right to shoot them. But people dont have a right to drive along and shoot any stray dog they see. There is nothing in that article to suggest the dog was on or near any land or livestock owned by the shooter.

Fault on both sides but i cant condone shooting a loose dog on sight by any individual passing by.

Agree with this.

Yes wild dogs are a problem for livestock and farmers do and should have the right to shoot them. But people dont have a right to drive along and shoot any stray dog they see.

Which would explain this...

His firearms have been seized and gun licence suspended.

There are some utter idiots out west.

A friend lost one of his favourite kelpies while moving his cattle along the stock route.

eg country road. 70 head of cattle grazing along as the traveled. walking beside them keeping them off the road was his kelpie. she was not even on the shoulder of the road. she was just on the edge of the grass watching the cattle. He was pushing the cattle along as saw the car pass then speed up before it swung off the tar and collected her before speeding off even faster.

He said over the years he has lost others the same way. Some people are sick, if he hadnt shot their puppy, he is probably one of the ones that would have run her down anyway.

• 2 months later...

It is pretty strange for sure. Husky owners know or at least should be aware that off leash in a non confined or fenced area is almost always fraught with danger. This is one of the FIRST things told to potential owners. There are the rare 1% that will be okay off leash. It is not a maybe he will be okay off leash, it is almost considered a certain that he WONT be okay off leash.

Either way it is a very sad situation for all concerned, I would be pretty confident in thinking that the breeder who has donated a puppy will have given thorough rules and advice on the care of their new furbaby.