Familys Horror Day Out

tlc

True dog shouldnt be off lead next to raod. Yes wild dogs are a problem for livestock and farmers do and should have the right to shoot them. But people dont have a right to drive along and shoot any stray dog they see. There is nothing in that article to suggest the dog was on or near any land or livestock owned by the shooter.

Fault on both sides but i cant condone shooting a loose dog on sight by any individual passing by.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems certainly very strange that the car pulled over first and then the dog apparently ran over to it, as the family describes it. And some punishment should be in place for the shooters, I would also hold anybody I found shooting into my property from the road responsible and expect the police to follow up any report I made, especially if the rego had been correctly recorded. Not sure if that would be an issue for the landholder to follow up or if the police can do that on their own.

I just really wish that Peppa's family showed any kind of learning curve that would help prevent a similar incident occurring again. And the fb page is just ridiculous beyond words.... There are nutters claiming all hunting and shooting any animals should be punishable by law and anybody who kills any animal is apparently taking some kind of perverse pleasure in it.. Where do these kind of nutters come from? They appear to congregate on fb in astonishing numbers...

What I don't get is who lets their dog out on the side of the road OFF LEASH and allows it to wander off????

No, it doesn't justify the dog being shot but frankly when I started reading the story I thought it was going to end with the dog being run over and the car driving off.

That was my first thought too.

I just had a look at the Facebook page, it's a world gone crazy!

I feel for them losing their dog but there is so many times these days where people won't take some/any responsibility for their own actions. It was their job to keep their puppy safe.

The shooter was an arsehole, but the family made a terrible mistake and learnt a painful lesson. :(

I have also had the page pop up on my wall and going by what I have read on it, I doubt they have learnt any lesson at all. They blame nobody but the shooter, certainly not themselves for the dog being not only off leash but also out of sight. I also expected that the dog had been run over the first time I read an account of the events and it wouldn't be the first time, either.

Plenty of people seem to have no concerns at all about letting their dogs roam around off leash and even out of view. When bad things happen, it is somebody else's fault.

Obviously I do not condone the dog being shot from the side of the road, which is illegal but if I found any dog, regardless of breed, on my own property, I would also shoot it, where it was safe to do so. I have made the experience that if you chase them off they will return later to finish the job of killing my poultry and by the time a ranger arrives to impound the dog it tends to be long gone anyway.

Best to keep your dog on leash unless you are on your own property or in a designated off leash area.

People going on about a husky looking nothing like a "wild dog" seem to be unaware of the issues rural areas face regarding feral dogs that can be of any breed or x breed and truly their appearance has nothing to do with their ability to kill stock, as long as they are over a certain size. Same with the comments regarding it being "only a puppy" and "perfectly rehomable". From a distance, you cannot always judge a dog's age and a seven month old husky would be of a reasonable size. I have yet to meet a farmer who goes out of his way to try and rehome what appears to be a feral dog, growing up without human contact makes them less than desirable or manageable as pets.

^ This.

I saw this on facebook and thought owners are as much to blame as the shooter. I would never let my dog off lead in any rural area if I did not know the land owners. I often come across loose dogs while riding and unfortunately they don't often look "wild" but chances are if they are away from home they are up to no good.

What I don't get is who lets their dog out on the side of the road OFF LEASH and allows it to wander off????

No, it doesn't justify the dog being shot but frankly when I started reading the story I thought it was going to end with the dog being run over and the car driving off.

That was my first thought too.

I just had a look at the Facebook page, it's a world gone crazy!

I feel for them losing their dog but there is so many times these days where people won't take some/any responsibility for their own actions. It was their job to keep their puppy safe.

My thoughts exactly.

I hope it's being clearly explained to them that they must never let another dog, if they get one, do the same thing. Keep it on a lead in a strange place, certainly dont let it out of their sight like they did with this poor puppy.

Ms Grant said she heard a vehicle pull over about 100 metres down the road over the crest of the hill, at which point, Peppa took off in the direction of the car.

The dog could also have been run over, etc...

A very hard lesson to learn about not letting your dog run loose... I feel sorry for the family (especially the little boy), but they really need to own up to having some responsibility for not keeping their own dog safe and under effective control in a public space.

T.

Quite - what if it had managed to eat some bait whilst loose? People are so very stupid and careless with dogs.

If my dogs are out of my sight they are not under effective control - simple!!!!

Yes it is terrible, I feel for the family but there are always three sides to every story. That particular famer my have had stock mauled very recently? they may be sick of roaming dogs. I love dogs but have one roaming on my place and it may not go home. I ahve ewes with lambs, calves, pet cheep, cattle cats dogs etc, they are my first priority.

Just to clarify, while it was a public road, it was a dirt road that runs through a pine plantation. Not farm land or private property. People commonly go to these plantations to ride motorbikes, walk dogs etc. because there's not any through traffic.

From what I understand, the pup was let out of the car and the owners intended to follow it but the woman had to stop to get her son out of the car and put his gumboots on (no idea what the husband was doing).

The 'shooter' was not a farmer but rather an individual who went hunting for feral animals.

I absolutely agree that the owners made a mistake in letting Peppa vanish out of site over the crest, but I think a lot of assumptions are being made about the situation that aren't true and these people are being judged pretty harshly.

Yep, agree with the above. My dad & I used to drive through there when we went rabbit/fox hunting in the area. It's not a farm area, it's a pine plantation that a lot of people go hunting/4WD in.

I know the owners are at fault too, but this was not a farmer protecting anything.

^ I 100% will say there seems no logical reason in the situation we have been told, for the dog to have been shot.

However people are not making assumptions at all about the owners being irresponsible. It is fact that they let their dog off the leash and let it run off.

If you need to take your kid(s) out, you do that first. I always do that. In fact whenever my dog is in my car, he doesn't come out, until I have nothing left to do, except get him out, and he is on his leash.

FFS, surely in an unknown area you would scope it out before letting a pup run free?

Anything could have happened - fallen into a whole, broken a leg/neck, bitten by snakes, run straight back onto the road and hit by the next car.

I do not agree in anyway shape or form with the shooting, but it's pretty simple who's at fault and none of that fault lies with the shooter.

EDIT - sorry weisnjac my arrow is pointing up but this was for the post before yours, actually kind fits with yours as well :)

I will also say, that if the hunter has done anything illegal in terms of when/where he was hunting, then he definitely needs to be charged. My point of him doing nothing wrong, was in terms of not knowing the animal was a pet as it was on its own at the time he saw it.

Edited by BoxerB

^ I 100% will say there seems no logical reason in the situation we have been told, for the dog to have been shot.

However people are not making assumptions at all about the owners being irresponsible. It is fact that they let their dog off the leash and let it run off.

If you need to take your kid(s) out, you do that first. I always do that. In fact whenever my dog is in my car, he doesn't come out, until I have nothing left to do, except get him out, and he is on his leash.

FFS, surely in an unknown area you would scope it out before letting a pup run free?

Anything could have happened - fallen into a whole, broken a leg/neck, bitten by snakes, run straight back onto the road and hit by the next car.

I do not agree in anyway shape or form with the shooting, but it's pretty simple who's at fault and none of that fault lies with the shooter.

I said they were at fault too, I'm not saying they are not to blame. Just pointing out that it wasn't a farmer protecting stock as they were not near any. And getting hit by a car in that area is highly unlikely.

I think the shooter is to blame also, I wouldn't pull up next to a dog & shoot it for no reason. Who would? If it was on a property, then yes, but on public land? The news report I seen said police confirmed it was a point blank shot. How could someone get a point blank shot at a feral dog?

I live next to a pine plantation, and it's not uncommon to come across a dog, then see the owner a bit further away. I don't like it, but it's not uncommon around here. I wouldn't pull out my gun and shoot it because it was alone.

As I said, not defending the people, but to say the shooter wasn't to blame is just.. sick, imo.

ETA: Just seen you ETA :laugh: All good, just making a few points as I know the area.

Edited by weisnjac

Well, the owners also described the puddle of blood being 3m from the road so unless the shooter swerved off the road and drove right up to the dog to delver this point blank shot then I believe they simply do not actually know what the expression means. It sounds to me like they are trying to describe that the dog was shot from a very short distance away?

Either way, if it is as you say and people go shooting there regularly, you'd have to be an idiot to let your dog (and a Husky of all breeds, with a reputation for poor recall) off lead in that place I would think...

As I said, since the dog was shot from a public road and such it was illegal and there should be consequences but nobody made things up from what I can see in this thread. The owners admitted fair and square to letting the dog off leash and the dog took off and they were unable to call her back. This is stupid and now they should know but I fear they don't. Hopefully they will not do such a thing again and hopefully the shooter cops the fines or whatever the rightful punishment is.

Overall I am sad for the dog and also the little boy but looking at the photos of their child interacting with the puppy makes me think they may be a little blue eyed about responsibilities and also dangers of dog ownership in general...

Get real folks. Lots of hunters allow pig etc dogs off lead and out of sight in rural areas. That is why there is a market for GPS tracking collars. IMO shooting the husky was a thrill killing disguised as altruism.

I certainly don't condone any sort of thrill killing by testosterone driven youths with guns... the shooter needs to be prosecuted under whatever laws he may have broken, without any doubt.

But.... who in their right mind will let their dog run off to do whatever it likes while they fluff about getting the kid out of the car, ostensibly to do same?

There is responsibility for the incident on both sides of the equation here - but one side is just not seeing theirs at all.

T.

Get real folks. Lots of hunters allow pig etc dogs off lead and out of sight in rural areas. That is why there is a market for GPS tracking collars. IMO shooting the husky was a thrill killing disguised as altruism.

GPS collars have a place if you are genuinely hunting with your dog, which may require the dog be out of sight. A trained dog I might add. With a job. Not a pet puppy out and about on its own with a small child about to join in this fun. Not to mention to be within the law you need to be on a private property or a property you otherwise have permission to hunt on.

I cannot speculate what made the shooter take the shot and have repeatedly said it was illegal and action should be taken. Yes, it may have been a perverse pleasure in killing fluffy baby huskies. Or drunkenness. Or an amazing amount of meth or speed in his system. Or maybe he thought the puppy was actually the Easter Bunny in disguise and would bleed magical candy instead of blood. I don't know and I said what he did was not right either way.

Neither was what the family did though. They did not mean it but they put their puppy in harm's way and it was harmed. And I do hope they learnt the lesson that was to be learnt and no other dogs or God forbid their child will be put in a similar position. Just because everybody does it does not make it a good idea.

Well, the owners also described the puddle of blood being 3m from the road so unless the shooter swerved off the road and drove right up to the dog to delver this point blank shot then I believe they simply do not actually know what the expression means. It sounds to me like they are trying to describe that the dog was shot from a very short distance away?

What was said on the local news is police confirmed it was a point blank shot & the dog was then dumped off the road. No one will ever know what really happened. I'm talking years ago when we used to go hunting up there, people may not any more, and I highly doubt these people knew that anyway, seeing as they were not from the area.

So the dog came right up to the car? Or did they get out? That seems a little strange. You don't need to get a dog to point blank to kill it with a high powered rifle.... Wierd. It certainly makes it sound unlikely that the shooter thought it was a feral dog, since a feral dog wouldn't come close enough to the car to be shot at point blank