Treats

Too many to name but I have them listed HERE. For training I prefer to use home made, soft, easy to break apart & not too messy on the fingers. Go to that link & you will see what I mean & why different types of treats have their place.

Roast chicken or other roast meats when I want to bring out the big guns. Otherwise, cabanossi, smoked sausage, cheese and bits of ham as mid level treats and kibble or liver as low level treats.

I only feed Happy Paws: http://www.happypawstreats.com.au

They go bananas for them.

:)

Thanks - might get a little bag of the puppy one to try. Quick question, is all the offal (or whatever hearts, liver, etc are called) okay for a dog? I read too much (eg liver) can be bad. Not that he will get a whole bag of treats in one go!

Will also try cabanossi which is cheap and soft for walking around with him - I read soft treats are better when 'on the go'.

On and is cheese really ok? Just as a couple of treats? I'd only buy good high quality low fat.

Cheese is fine and I wouldn't worry about low fat either. All my pups get cheese as part of their diet as well as for treats. Yes, the occasional dog is lactose intolerant but the vast majority of the time a dog which has never had lactose has issues because it's gut flora is not used to it - if they keep getting dairy right through puppyhood most of the time they retain the required 'bugs' to digest it.

Thanks - might get a little bag of the puppy one to try. Quick question, is all the offal (or whatever hearts, liver, etc are called) okay for a dog? I read too much (eg liver) can be bad. Not that he will get a whole bag of treats in one go!

Will also try cabanossi which is cheap and soft for walking around with him - I read soft treats are better when 'on the go'.

Do you mean the offal used to make some of the Happy Paws? I get the Perfect Puppy for my Chis and the treats are about the size of an M&M. Perfect treat size so unless you plan on feeding a whole bag (which I wouldn't recommend lol) he'll be fine.

The other flavours are cut slightly bigger but still treat sized. They go crazy for the Roast Chicken. :D

If you want me to send you some to try I'd be happy to, just PM me your address. :)

I get my pup in 5 more sleeps so I understand your excitement!

Do you mean the offal used to make some of the Happy Paws? I get the Perfect Puppy for my Chis and the treats are about the size of an M&M. Perfect treat size so unless you plan on feeding a whole bag (which I wouldn't recommend lol) he'll be fine.

The other flavours are cut slightly bigger but still treat sized. They go crazy for the Roast Chicken. :D

If you want me to send you some to try I'd be happy to, just PM me your address. :)

I get my pup in 5 more sleeps so I understand your excitement!

Thanks for that offer! I will just buy some though - I'll use them anyway. How long does the 250g bag last you? Or do you get the larger size?

I get the 500g bag and it usually lasts me at least 6 months. I also usually get the Roast Chicken, the Apperteaser (just as an occasional dinner treat) and sometimes the Tuna Fudge.

Lynn, the maker of Happy Paws, is a DOLer and a lovely lady. :)

My puppies get most of their meals during training sessions - so whatever I'd normally feed them.

This! :)

On show days, whatever happens to be going if I can't be bothered doing liver. Cabanossi, cooked sausages, leftover roast chicken, cheese sticks, just to name the ones that jumped into my head immediately.