Gnarla's Story

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try giving Gnarla some ice cream - vanilla flavour is a fave with our poorly mums... will up her calcium a bit also. Raw chicken wings (whole) are also a fave.

As she is rather underweight, may I suggest 5 or 6 small feeds a day - her tummy may have shrunk a bit by going without for a while.

Is she drinking much? If not, she may need another dose of fluids (possibly by IV). If she is drinking OK, put some honey or Nutrigel in her water - or even some electrolytes - just to give her a boost.

If you are supplementing the pups feeds, maybe you could mix up some of the formula for Gnarla too...

We had a completely emaciated large breed mum a while back, and the above is what we did to help her get back on her feet... it worked a charm.

T.

Just supporting what T has said about vanilla ice-cream. Good quality vanilla ice-cream can be great for humans who are in a wasted state.

And it's the one magic ingredient to hide dogs' pills in.

If there's any powdered vitamin supplement for dogs, it could be mixed in with the ice-cream.

Edited by mita

What the hell is wrong with people.

I hope she hasn't suffered starvation for so long that it's damaged her. :cry:

Mita, we've trialled a few supplements, there's a newish one called Young At Heart, it's a really good supplement for all ages and has no nasty taste. I've found protexin is still the best replacement for gut flora and is also available in soluble form. Unfortunately both are probiotic you can't use probiotics and antibiotics together. :(

Her vet has probably recommended whatever will suit. It might just be that all she can have is lectade to drink and chicken soup meals.

I do sear red meat in front of anyone who needs encouraging (so they can get all the cooking smells) but she might not be up to digesting it just yet. Poor girl.

Small donation coming from me on behalf of SSR. :grouphug:

xAnna

Good for Cheryl you have done an amazing job getting her and looking after her and her babies.

Would it be any good maybe getting the local rag in Narrandra in on the it and do a story and let people know in your area what some of their people are doing.

This is severe enough to maybe hit a Current Affair and Today Tonight, they love exposing these stories, it may make people aware to not let these sorts of things slide and turn a blind eye.

Huge Hugs :grouphug::grouphug: to you Cheryl we do feel your anger and disgust and pain in finding this girl in this state and what's worse she had her babies and lost a couple just tragic.

Maree

CPR

This is just heartbreaking and without what you have done Cheryl there is no doubt this girl and her remaining pups would've died a painful and slow death. There are just so many people out there who should never, ever own a dog/pet/child. I'll look at my bank account and see what I can send your way - may not be till the end of the month though as I just had $2300 in unexpected vet bills myself last week.

Oh and Happy Mother's Day Gnarla and Cheryl!

Just putting this out there, i have no idea about pups, but is there any chance she will lay on them if she is not wanting to feed them, are they in danger by staying with her?

Hats off to both you Cheryl & OH for doing the amazing work you do.Just wonderful. Without you both poor Gnarla , her babies would have all suffered an horrendous end. Just left to strarve to death :( a huge heart felt thank you.

Edited by BC Crazy

Those pictures just break my heart and makes me so mad. I hope you can take the matter further as these people should never own any other animals. I hope she makes a full recovery and goes into a loving home and all the pups can pull through.

Cheryl I have next to no spare funds at the moment but I do have a spare 5kg satchel sitting there and a sewing room full of fabric, is there anything at all you need for either Gnarla or the babies? A jacket of her own maybe.

A jacket would be perfect! We were only discussing putting one on her today. She is about 50 - 55cms. It is very mild here tonight (may be some rain coming) so she is OK for now! Thank you kelpiecuddles!

Try giving Gnarla some ice cream - vanilla flavour is a fave with our poorly mums... will up her calcium a bit also. Raw chicken wings (whole) are also a fave.

As she is rather underweight, may I suggest 5 or 6 small feeds a day - her tummy may have shrunk a bit by going without for a while.

Is she drinking much? If not, she may need another dose of fluids (possibly by IV). If she is drinking OK, put some honey or Nutrigel in her water - or even some electrolytes - just to give her a boost.

If you are supplementing the pups feeds, maybe you could mix up some of the formula for Gnarla too...

We had a completely emaciated large breed mum a while back, and the above is what we did to help her get back on her feet... it worked a charm.

T.

She is extremely emaciated! I am trying to give small feeds but she is reluctant to eat anything at all without some heavy duty coaxing - mostly from a prone position beside her. Tonight however I have some good news. I put her AB's into raw mince and she ate this and some more very readily. I'm thinking she may have only ever had raw food in the past! We are giving her Lectade and Nutrigel (which she doesn't mind eating. I will try the formula for Gnarla too tomorrow. She seems to be drinking Ok as the water is disappearing from the bowl. I will have to try the ice cream as well. Maybe some for me and some for her ...lol. :D Thank you for your suggestions.

Have made a donation to RADAR's account and have added Gnarla to our fundraising page (I hope that's okay, let me know if there's any problem)

http://www.littlelegsdogrescue.com.au/fundraiser-for-project-senior-team.html

Hope we can help this precious mum and her babies with more donations very soon. xxx

No problem at all and thank you so much. We all have our difficult (and expensive) cases but Gnarla's case is heartbreaking. I cannot begin to feel her loss at losing so many of her litter. I know she will be needing follow-up with the vet as well so every little bit will help immensely!