Jack Russell Boy Needs A New Home...

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the correct section in which to post this question.

:mad There is a 3yo male Jack Russell that lives up the road from my place. He belongs to a 16yo girl who no longer wants to look after him, thank goodness, as she has not done a very good job in caring for him so far. His name is Macca and he is kept in a small concrete-paved car port and is not allowed into the house or even into the grassed back yard since the owners mothers new boyfriend has moved in with his large irish wolfhound type dog. I have felt that this poor dog has been neglected ever since I found out about him approx 12 months ago and I am finally trying to arrange for this boy to be surrendered if I can find a rescue that will take him in. I think that he is being fed okay but he doesn't get any attention, love, walks etc and his small living area is rarely cleaned up and is almost always covered in poop. I'm led to believe that he is neutered, microchipped and vaccinated but I will need to confirm this in the next couple of days. He is apparently a very friendly dog but is so bored atm that he does try to escape under the fence. There could also be an issue with him being food protective/aggressive but I don't know if this is a current problem or has been resolved. He will also be surrendered free of charge and I can organise transport to a rescue group or foster carer within 100kms of Melbourne.

I will be trying to get further info and a photo in the next few days or so but if anyone has any recommendations on how to better help this boy, please let me know. :pray:

Thanks!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they really care what happens to him to be honest. He could still just sit there in their carport indefinitely if I can't find somewhere for him to go as they are not proactively doing anything to find him another home. I'm sure it will be up to me to take him to wherever he goes to when he leaves their place, and I guess if I can find him rescue interstate I would find some way of getting him there if necessary. I do believe they also have another dog that is currently an indoor/outdoor dog that they no longer want - a shih tzu or a maltese cross or the like, but I am not getting involved in the rehoming of that one if I can help it. I'm not sure how neglected that dog is but I guess I will hear more about it in due course. Any suggestions for Macca dogmad?

Can you get a picture to me [email protected] then I can let you know if I can take him, do you know if he gets along with other dogs as I have a carer in Benalla that could probably take him in. Is he microchip and to whom because they will need to sign him over also is he desexed, no problem if he is not because we will get him done, just if he is would be good to get the certificate.

This is a photo of the two dogs needing to be rehomed. You will see the conditions that they, especially the JRT, are living in. What you see is the whole area available to him. No wonder he is bored out of his brain, the poor little thing!

post-33027-0-43664500-1368768533_thumb.jpg

Edited by iggy mum

I'd put a call in to the RSPCA or AWL if I knew of dogs living like that.

If you do them the favour of helping them offload their now unwanted dogs, they won't learn a lesson for next time...

T.

won't be against their rules - shelter, food and water. Can be as crappy as anything but if those elements are in place, nothing will be done.

If you do them the favour of helping them offload their now unwanted dogs, they won't learn a lesson for next time...

T.

won't be against their rules - shelter, food and water. Can be as crappy as anything but if those elements are in place, nothing will be done.

Exactly dogmad, apparently they've been reported once before and nothing was done for just those reasons.

Regardless T, the dogs need to get out of there and I'd rather find them rescue with the best chance of a good life than leave them there whether or not it teaches two young teenagers a lesson in animal care/responsibility or not. I can't see the point in letting the dogs suffer any longer.

And just to let you all know, these photos were taken through the hand hole in the carports' front door which matches the door in the rear of the photo. These poor dogs don't even have the stimulus of seeing anything on the outside of that enclosure except for the little bit of sky between the top of the walls and the roof. Just heartbreaking :cry: And the owners mothers new boyfriends big dog [wolfhound/lurcher type] lives in the back yard which is on the other side of the gate in the rear of the photo. It barks a lot of the time apparently and had even got out and killed a neighbours chooks! Biggest trouble is that the parents are not setting a very good example to the teenage kids regarding animal ownership.

Edited by iggy mum

T.

Yep, there is a Jack down the road who lives in a dog run, permanently. She never, ever, ever gets out (even by their own admission), the run is only about 2.5 msq. Very depressing. The RSPCA have been notified and went out there only to say that the dog has food, water and shelter and nothing they can do. What about enrichment? :(

Edited by Clyde

I sent you an email but I'm not sure if it went through.

I got it and have replied. It seems my reply got lost in the www black hole. Will send again.

Have just forwarded my reply again. Let me know if you get it!

Edited by iggy mum

T.

Yep, there is a Jack down the road who lives in a dog run, permanently. She never, ever, ever gets out (even by their own admission), the run is only about 2.5 msq. Very depressing. The RSPCA have been notified and went out there only to say that the dog has food, water and shelter and nothing they can do. What about enrichment? :(

Exactly Clyde - when oh when will that unsatisfactory definition be broadened to include some exercise time and exposure to sunlight for instance :mad

Poor dogs - why on earth to those people keep them?