How Often Do You Have To Cut Your Dogs Nails?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always amazed when people say they don't have to cut their dogs nails.

We don't have much cement, our place is mostly grass so I have to cut the pugs nails regularly. Plus Boston has one nail that curls under, so it needs to be trimmed even more regularly. A normal nail trim is every two weeks, probably.

I have never cut Zig's.

We have a concrete drive down the side of the house that he plays fetch on.

I walk him on the footpath for about half his daily exercise (the rest is on the grass).

When ever I notice his nails and think I should trim them on the weekend by the time the weekend gets here, they seem to be fine again.

In all of Ollie's life, I think his nails were cut twice and that was when he got older and didn't do as much exercise.

He was walked the same as Zig is every day (unless it is really bucketing down).

Every 10 days here - 2 dogs and 3 cats. Dalmatian nails sit high up and don't wear down leaving the quick to get very long. Both dogs do a lot of running but not on hard ground. I like nails trimmed short for agility contact equipment too.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I dremel Bruno's nails every couple of weeks. He gets walked on concrete paths daily, but our backyard is mostly grass so that doesn't wear the nails down. Some of the nails don't need much done but there's one on each paw that doesn't wear down enough naturally.

I find the dremel gives a smooth finish and reduces the amount of scratching on our wood floors. Plus Bruno hates clippers but is fine with the dremel. I find doing it regularly is best as he's calmer about things that are just routine.

About every 2 to 4 weeks here. The backyard is mostly grass and most of the places they are exercised are grass and dirt so they don't wear them down much. Plus they drive me nuts clicking on the tiles and it makes them lose grip as well so better for them to be kept short.

Heidi is 5, and I have never cut her nails. She is walked twice daily, partly on footpaths and road, so I guess that has kept them at a reasonable length. Guess I'll have to get them manicured one day.

I haven't needed to do the Rotties nails for several years but the Pugs are done every week/fortnight while babies and every month or two as adults - they grow really fast. Cut and dremel for best results.

My cattle dog's nails grow very quickly, she has never been a very active dog so I think that is part of it. I used to have to get her sedated to get her nails done, so she had them done less often then.

I go to a different vet now and they don't sedate her there and they handle her really well, they have done a great job getting her more used to having her nails clipped. The vet recommends going every 6 weeks, sometimes due to my work schedule it gets pushed back a bit longer.

My other dog and my brother's dog never need their nails clipped. They are both very active dogs though.

Have never had to cut Marlos nails as we do lots of walks on the footpath. Dew claws get done whenever we are at the vet though, those things are sharp when they get long!