Would You Guys Go To The Emergency Vet For This?

Inka3095

Shibas I find react very differently to so many things and are very stubborn dogs. If the vet has seen her and doesn't think there's anything wrong then maybe you just have a super sensitive dog mixed with a very stubborn dog. Give her a few days and hopefully she'll be right as rain.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute rubbish about spoiling her, I have only once had a dog react so bad to desexing and he was a dog with very little pain tolerance, took him back to the vet the next day for pain relief and he came good.

Speying is major surgery and owners often forget because its all done so routinely.

I agree. She just had major surgery for dogs sake. Guarantee if any of us had the same surgery we'd be pretty bloody miserable. If it were my dog I'd take her to the vet to be sure. Good luck I hope she is feeling better soon

Just saw your post, did the vet not consider giving you some stronger pain killers?

Edited by Aussie3

She is the weirdest dog! It's like she's forgotten how to lie down and now thinks sleeping on ones feet is normal...

I got home from work at 4pm and my bf said he'd been driven mad trying to make her rest all day. Transferring from her crate to her pen to outside to a light walk and then just ignoring her... none of it worked and all he heard all day was the noise of her falling against the sides of the crate as she fell asleep and slumped to the side before righting herself to stand again...

Couldn't handle it any more and took her to the emergency vet centre. I think the nice vet thought I was dramatizing the whole situation but that aside, she didn't recommend anything except an anti-inflammatory which she gave in injection form there and I have some for home for the next 4 days. It's just a non-steroidal but I'm sure it's a good idea.

No signs of infection, nothing wrong with the wound as yet, healing well but obviously very sore as she's very tender to touch and guarding.

However.. has now been an hour and she's identical to how she was. Standing, swaying, her nose now touching the floor and she's alternating between falling sideways and falling forward which is squashing her nose and making her wake up suddenly..

SO FRUSTRATED :(

Non-steroidals are great pain relievers! Neurophen is a Nodsteroidal for example and they have the added bonus of settling down any inflammation that is happening internally with will also decrease the amount of pain being produced.

My girls were on tremadol and a NSAID (non steroidal) for 5 days after their desexing and were very sorry for themselves. I cuddled them for three days before they stopped moping and went back to playing with toys etc- and one of them is a dog that didnt limp with a fractured leg and on another occasion a torn ligament in her toe!!!

I wish I could be more help but the best I can do is cyber wishes that she is a little better over night and tomorrow!

She is the weirdest dog!
she is a shiba...

Your poor girl seems like she is not doing too well at all :( It would be so much more helpful if the little buggers were more honest about what they feel. You never know if it's serious or they are trying it on.

Loki had a very bad time getting desexed, he reacted to the anesthetic very badly and he had to stay in over night because he wouldn't wake up. Yet once home, not a problem. He treads on a sharp rock on a walk however? Major limping, shaking, "carry me!!!!!!!!" tanties... Go figure? :confused: (not the slightest mark on his foot.)

Mad little dogs, shibas.....

I'm sorry but I don't believe dogs put on an act and pretend to be in pain, even if they are being a sook for them it is real.

let me tell you the story of Loki and the limp :)

When he was 2 he escaped from the yard and was hit by a car. Sadly, he broke his pelvis in two places. Because he was in pain, he was possibly spoilt a bit :o He decided that a limp got him attention and good things... So for the next 4 years everytime he didn't get his own way this magical limp would appear. For example, when I went to a cetain shop I would buy him a tasty marrow bone. If I went to the shop (with him) and didn't actually buy anything this magical limp would appear. This magical limp appeared everytime I tried to bath him, or he had to go to the vet... or even sometimes when I told him off for trying to eat the cat food. It was the most amazing limp. Except the limp would change sides depending on which way he was walking...

Poor guy, was obviously in so much pain.... :laugh:

He didn't "put on an act" but he got a reaction that got him treats, so he will play that card if he can..... lil bugger :laugh:

Should point out, it's not breed specific because poor boxhead is a close relative and he wouldn't notice if you chopped off an ear, he'd still keep bouncing around. :) Nothing rocks that dudes boat.

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

Do you have some ace bandages or some vetrap? Could you try a body wrap or put a tight-ish t-shirt or coat on her?

Obviously you don't want to irritate the wound with clothing but it may calm her.

As a general statement I will say I have been to the emergency vet once for an opioid injection after patella surgery on one of mine and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. :) We have to assume it is pain and treat accordingly. If after that they are still acting strange...well..okay. :laugh:

i must be the mean one of the group! So long as she has had her meds, then I would just put her in another room, curtains closed etc to keep room quiet and darker and just let her get on with it, eventually she will have to lie down to sleep.

She is the weirdest dog! It's like she's forgotten how to lie down and now thinks sleeping on ones feet is normal...

No signs of infection, nothing wrong with the wound as yet, healing well but obviously very sore as she's very tender to touch and guarding.

However.. has now been an hour and she's identical to how she was. Standing, swaying, her nose now touching the floor and she's alternating between falling sideways and falling forward which is squashing her nose and making her wake up suddenly..

SO FRUSTRATED :(

Well obviously its really hurting her to lie down. Its not normal for a dog to want to sleep standing up, so uncomfortable & that is not being a sook or wanting attention.

Th small wound may be healing well & look ok but her insides may not be so good. If she is not lying down or more comfortable over the next day or so I would be seeking a 2nd opinion from a different vet.

Competence doing surgery as well as individual dogs reactions can vary too.

I'm going to call the vet who did the surgery tomorrow and ask for a follow-up surgical visit explaining she's not doing very well 4 days post surgery and we need some help.

Tonight she was licking the wound really vigorously so I had no choice but to put her collar back on and she's been standing up ever since. I FORCED her to lay down with me on the couch and put my hands under her chin to rest her head on. She fell asleep immediately and must have had terrible dreams because was twitching and whimpering in her sleep. Is breaking my heart! Woke up and tried to leap off the couch after about 10 minutes and has been standing and swaying on her feet since.

She won't tolerate anything on her cut. I tried a bandage, ripped it off, tried one of those tegaderm things from the hospital that don't take your skin with it when they come off... ripped that off too. I think we'll have to go down the sedation route tomorrow even if the vet tells me it's a bad idea. I don't know what else to do to give this dog some rest...

Could you lean a whole bunch of blankets or pillows against one side of the crate so she can lie/lean on her side but still be upright. Maybe she just wants to be upright, I know after I had my spleen out I was quite comfortable sitting up to sleep by lying down was awful.

Nope, she's meant to be a red and white but she has this black coloured neck that became really obvious after her last visit to get a bath and they decimated her undercoat with a furminator.... I'm just waiting to see if her colours change again... weird huh!

I loved the story about the limp <3

That photo shows her hunching some... she is more than likely in pain - and 4 days after surgery she shouldn't be. Poor little thing...

Something isn't right, and hopefully the vet will be able to make her more comfortable. Be prepared for another surgery if there's a possibility of reaction to the internal stitches.

Fingers crossed she is just a sook about abdominal pain like my Lab was, and that she starts perking up soon.

T.