Zig Had Another Turn Last Night

Staffyluv

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it was a long time between being crook & eating it, I would take Ziggy off the lamb.

I have a dog here who is very liverish, he has a very low tolerance to oils & fats. I used to give him lamb ribs for breakfast, & from time to time he would do exactly as Ziggy was doing, eating huge amounts of grass, then consuming a lot of water to bring up the mass. Some nights I would be up & down all night, letting him in & out, & cleaning up vomit, which was basically comprised of large tightly woven balls of grass.

When I removed lamb, inclufing offal, from his diet, the problem disappeared. I substituted lamb for rabbit, & feed chicken or duck carcases, turkey wings, or roo mince with VAN for dinner. I have even been able to supplement the evening meal with some coconut oil with no adverse effects. Coconut oil is supposed to aid digestion.

ETA All good wishes for a quick recovery coming your way sausy.dog!

Thanks.. Zig had an issue when visitors gave him bacon once - he was so sick, so I have always monitored the level of fat in his diet.

He is just on chook mince and a little soaked kibble (when he feels like eating) for a few days.

Our vet just called to see how he was. He has pretty well slept the whole day.

I think a well earned kip for both of you is in order... spooning in a nice warm bed under the doona should do the trick...

Glad to hear he's OK... and hope that you find out what is making him sick.

T.

Totally agree with this. :thumbsup:

Lay off the grass Ziggy, drugs are bad mkay. :rofl:

It's probably got nothing to do with Ziggy's problem but girl does this when her reflux is bothering her.

She can be lying there asleep and then she will jump up and rush outside and frantically start any large amounts of grass.

She has also vomited a couple of times because she was scoffing the grass and it tickled her tonsils!

Hope Ziggy is feeling better

Edited by CavsRcute

So glad he's feeling better.

I had a horror run a couple of months ago - a shoulder injury followed by a leg injury, with a broken toenail that got infected (just for variety's sake). It never rains but it pours, glad he's home and on the mend now.

Give him some get well soon belly rubs and neck scratches from me, he's such a lovely looking guy and always strikes me as a great little character.

Thanks Wobbly, he is a character - I have to give him that and he keeps me on my toes..

He is bit better today than he was yesterday, so I gave him a little kibble as well as a small amount of cooked chicken mince.

He is none to fussed on the cooked chicken - so my son gave him a bit of raw chook and he ate that.

To me, him eating tells me that he must be feeling better.

I don't know if I will take him to training or not tomorrow - I guess I will just see how he goes between now and then.

Zig had another 'event' last night but I managed to calm him here at home and took him to the vets first thing this morning.

The vet thinks it could be seizures but we need to rule out everything else first.

I can see why they thought poisoning last week as it is the only thing that seemed to fit - eat grass, shaking, white gums, frantic behaviour, elevated heart rate..

Full blood work is being done and I get the results tomorrow after lunch - but the vet said often these come back normal.

I am going to try to remember to video his behaviour next time it happens.

Last night was the fourth time he has become 'frantic' and eating grass like there is no tomorrow, shaky and but last Thursday was by far the worst he had ever been.

I turned the TV off and just sat here with him on the lounge in the dark with just the laptop on, being as quiet as possible. He seemed to settle after about 5 minutes or so.

We went for a quiet walk this morning and then to the vets and he is sleeping now.

He did the same thing last week, he slept all day Friday after the events of Thursday night.

Oh no, sorry to hear this staffyluv :(

we had been going through a similar thing with Renae, but not as serious as what Ziggy has been experiencing.. Renaes liver showed up with some unknown high levels of toxins too, which was very strange. Shes rarely outside to even eat something bad.. We keep thinking it 'may' have been to do with a change of flea treatment, which the vets cant outrule entirely, but they don't think thats the problem.. It does seem strange more dogs are going through similar of late that i keep reading about confused.gif

Hope they get to the bottom of it soon! sending Ziggy my postive healing thoughts x

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Thanks all, I am really hoping it isn't seizures.

The vet is doing a full blood count, checking liver enzymes, kidney function and looking for anything out of the ordinary.

The main thing that led him to think seizure is that he has had 2 'episodes' the same (although last night was no where near as bad as last week) in the space of a couple of weeks.

Last nights was the same as a couple of other times, where I just thought he was feeling sick (eating grass).. But it is like he doesn't even know I am there when he is eating the grass.

It always happens after he has been sleeping - he wakes up, throws his head back and licks the air a bit (like he is going to be sick), then runs outside and eats and eats grass. But he is never sick after doing it.

The next day he is pretty exhausted and he tends to sleep all day.

I am keen to get the results of his blood work.

Obviously this is just anecdotal guessing, but having seizures myself, I'm often left with strange metallic tastes in my mouth. If they are seizures perhaps the same thing is happening and the grass helps him somehow?

Seizures can exhibit a wide variety if symptoms, even fly snapping, so I guess it is a possibility.

Monte was always super hyper during the post ictal phase and in between seizures in a cluster. His seizures were fairly violent and they used to make him hungry and exhausted once he finally "came down" from his manic stage.

I hope you get some answers soon Staffyluv. Videoing is a good idea.

Zig had another 'event' last night but I managed to calm him here at home and took him to the vets first thing this morning.

The vet thinks it could be seizures but we need to rule out everything else first.

I can see why they thought poisoning last week as it is the only thing that seemed to fit - eat grass, shaking, white gums, frantic behaviour, elevated heart rate..

Full blood work is being done and I get the results tomorrow after lunch - but the vet said often these come back normal.

I am going to try to remember to video his behaviour next time it happens.

Last night was the fourth time he has become 'frantic' and eating grass like there is no tomorrow, shaky and but last Thursday was by far the worst he had ever been.

I turned the TV off and just sat here with him on the lounge in the dark with just the laptop on, being as quiet as possible. He seemed to settle after about 5 minutes or so.

We went for a quiet walk this morning and then to the vets and he is sleeping now.

He did the same thing last week, he slept all day Friday after the events of Thursday night.

Staffyluv - With all the blood work that has been done, has the thyroid been tested ?

The reason I say this is that a friend had a problem with a seizure with their dog and it came back as a problem with the thyroid gland.