Zig Had Another Turn Last Night

Staffyluv

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tlc our yard is very enclosed, with locked gates - unless it was a neighbour over the back fence, there really isn't anywhere that someone could get to him.

I sprayed a few weeds out the back a couple of days ago with some Zero but it has rained since then and I did as the instructions said and didn't give him access to the area for about 4 hours (the bottle said 2 hours or until the product was dry).. Even the vet said it is unlikely it was the Zero as it was a couple of days ago and it has since rained and he only became sick tonight..

There is no poisons around that he could get into.

The one thing I did think about a while ago is my Arum lilies out the back but he has never touched them before (I know they can be toxic to dogs).. I will check them first thing in the morning and it looks like they have been walked on or nibbled on, I will pull them all out..

He hasn't been anywhere as he is on rest due to a leg injury the last week.

He had his breakfast as usual this morning (a few lamb ribs). Then he came into the office with me and a few times we got up and played ball and did some little bits of training.

Dinner was about 6pm and he had 120g of roo steak. Within about half an hour of this he started to salivate a lot and run outside to eat grass.

He came back in and run back out to eat grass again then came back for a drink of water.

He did this 5 times over the space of about an hour - I called the vet at this stage and they suggested I bring him in just in case he has eaten something he shouldn't have..

It is literally a 5 minute drive and by the time I got there he was reaching his neck out to breathe and trying to be sick without success.

His eyes were red, his gums were a bit pale but not to bad, his breathing was laboured and his temp was up. He started to shake at the vets so that is when she suggested they keep him over night, knock him out and flush his system..

I can go back between 7 and 7.30am to see him and if he is better, he can come home with me, if not, I can bring him to my vet (where the cost to keep him won't be as much)..

I doubt I am going to get much sleep - I just hope he is fine and doing well.. they did say they would call if anything happened..

Well it sure doesn't sound like he has had the opportunity to get into or consume anything he shouldn't have. From what you described it almost sounds like an allergic reaction to something or a bite of some sort.

I can imagine you won't sleep a wink tonight.

Hoping the vets get to the bottom of it quickly.

Thanks all, I can't sleep. Poor little guy.

On gosh, I hope he's okay. :(:crossfingers:

Could it be related to when he was sick the other week do you think??

Moosepup it is very similar symptoms (the grass eating and frantic sort of behaviour) but much more exaggerated than it was - I wonder if it is related..

Well it sure doesn't sound like he has had the opportunity to get into or consume anything he shouldn't have. From what you described it almost sounds like an allergic reaction to something or a bite of some sort.

I can imagine you won't sleep a wink tonight.

Hoping the vets get to the bottom of it quickly.

He was sick (not as bad as this) the other week.. I didn't even relate the two until Moose pointed it out.

I wonder if there is something in the yard he is eating - the only plant out there that would be an issue is the Arum Lilies.. I might pull them out tomorrow to be on the safe side..

If anyone in Canberra or Quangers wants some white Arum Lilies you are welcome to them (I might put a few in the front yard)..

We have some ants in the yard but there really are not any bugs around at the moment - could be a spider??

Sorry guys, my mind is working over time.. I hope he is getting a good rest and feels better in the morning.

We haven't really been separated (apart from 2 short trips away) since I got him 18 months ago..

All fingers and toes and paws crossed for speedy recovery

hugs to Staffyluv

and also to sausy.dog

I sprayed a few weeds out the back a couple of days ago with some Zero but it has rained since then and I did as the instructions said and didn't give him access to the area for about 4 hours (the bottle said 2 hours or until the product was dry).. Even the vet said it is unlikely it was the Zero as it was a couple of days ago and it has since rained and he only became sick tonight..

I aksed my lawnmower man about these types of sprays years ago and he mentioned that it can stay on what was sprayed for few weeks as it actually gets into the root system and can stay there , even if it rains after the 3-4 hours the bottle says it is ok

I didnt get around to checking it out further as didnt use it at all when told that as I had 2 that loved eating grass

Hope everything goes well. Fingers crossed for Zig.

Very quiet at our house tonight too. Our Dachie is in hospital with Haemorrhagic Gastro. :(

Hope your little one recovers quickly. My tiny weeny Myrtie had two bouts in under 12 months :( and has recovered well.

Healing thoughts from the pack here.

Hugs Staffyluv, I really hope Ziggy is better in the morning.How scary for you. It does sound a bit similar to last time but much worse. I wondered about an allergic reaction to something. I thought symptoms could get more severe with each exposure?