My First Dog

ktn

I first met Bob the scruffy silky cross as a volunteer dog walker at the RSPCA in November 2006. He was the first dog I made an emotional connection with after over 2 years working at the shelter. He was extremely timid and submissive and I immediately had a strong urge to take him home and care for him. The day I brought him home was one of my happiest.

I don't know how old he really was - despite the paperwork saying 3 years (top left photo) it was apparent he was much older, and had a quiet mature air about him. He became a very independent, confident and loyal friend who would never tire in looking out for me wherever I went around the house. The few days he deteriorated made me realised how much older he's become over the past 2 years, slower and shorter walks, sleeping more, balding nose and "greying" hair (bottom right photo). I only found out at the end he had cancer, but I am most grateful that he seemed to had waited for me throughout his sickest hours at the vets for me to bring him home first. I'm relieved that Bob went to a rainbow bridge on his own with lots of dignity - he had something to eat and even managed to walk around the house one last time, peed in the garden (he was toilet trained at home until the end!) and looked at all his favourite places in the house before collapsing in my arms. That gives me some comfort despite the huge hole he's left us. Although we all take in a pet knowing they will eventually depart, it seems impossible to be ever prepared to say good bye.

The 6.5 years with him feels so short now, and I wish we've done much more together (more than half of his time is spent waiting for me to return from work!). But I'm comforted to know that he seems genuinely happy with us. I'll miss everything about him from his mute grunty noises (he rarely barks), refusing to go walkies without me, always resting around eatshot from me, knowing how to play hide-and-seek, being so toilet trained, his distinctive body odour, to his habit of using our carpet as a serviette after every meal. Here's my tribute to my old friend Bob and my thoughts are with others experiencing the same pain.

post-14327-0-57161100-1370083083_thumb.jpg

What a lovely photo tribute to your boy. He looks very smart and cheeky :) Had to laugh about your 'using the carpet as a serviette' comment.

I'm sure he loved you dearly and would have stayed forever if only he could have.

Thank you for the wishes, sharing the grief with other dog lovers helps. To not forget him, I wrote a list of everything I love about him and have 10 pages and this list seems to grow the more I think about him. I recommend others to do the same, good way to turn the tears to smiles

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. There are never enough years with them, is there?, but it sounds like he did find the absolute best home with you.

I agree writing everything down is a powerful way of reassuring yourself that he will never be forgotten, I have been doing this with Tip (my Jack Russell) since he passed three months ago, and I can't believe the things I had forgotten that are coming back to me.

Let the tears flow and keep posting on DOL, we understand, and talking your feelings out helps a lot.

Take care

Di

• 3 weeks later...

I first met Bob the scruffy silky cross as a volunteer dog walker at the RSPCA in November 2006. He was the first dog I made an emotional connection with after over 2 years working at the shelter. He was extremely timid and submissive and I immediately had a strong urge to take him home and care for him. The day I brought him home was one of my happiest.

I don't know how old he really was - despite the paperwork saying 3 years (top left photo) it was apparent he was much older, and had a quiet mature air about him. He became a very independent, confident and loyal friend who would never tire in looking out for me wherever I went around the house. The few days he deteriorated made me realised how much older he's become over the past 2 years, slower and shorter walks, sleeping more, balding nose and "greying" hair (bottom right photo). I only found out at the end he had cancer, but I am most grateful that he seemed to had waited for me throughout his sickest hours at the vets for me to bring him home first. I'm relieved that Bob went to a rainbow bridge on his own with lots of dignity - he had something to eat and even managed to walk around the house one last time, peed in the garden (he was toilet trained at home until the end!) and looked at all his favourite places in the house before collapsing in my arms. That gives me some comfort despite the huge hole he's left us. Although we all take in a pet knowing they will eventually depart, it seems impossible to be ever prepared to say good bye.

The 6.5 years with him feels so short now, and I wish we've done much more together (more than half of his time is spent waiting for me to return from work!). But I'm comforted to know that he seems genuinely happy with us. I'll miss everything about him from his mute grunty noises (he rarely barks), refusing to go walkies without me, always resting around eatshot from me, knowing how to play hide-and-seek, being so toilet trained, his distinctive body odour, to his habit of using our carpet as a serviette after every meal. Here's my tribute to my old friend Bob and my thoughts are with others experiencing the same pain.

Oh Kat

I rarely look in this thread but did tonight and recognised it was you posting about dear Bob and then recognised Rosie in some of the pics of Bob, Kat adopted Rosie from me CPR a couple of years ago so Bob could have a mate while Kat and her husband were at work, they were the odd couple (the dogs not Kat and hubby :) but oh so loved and spoilt and what a life Bob had with you Kat, what a lovely tribute to him as well.

Maree

CPR