All These Dog Napping Stories

*kirty*

My facebook is currently filled with stories of stickers on fence posts, painted marks on the foot path and men in vans pretending to be council rangers, all trying to steal dogs. It seems like every day there is a new story about people trying to steal your dogs. Are these true? Or are they urban myths? I'm not in a position to leave my dogs inside when I'm out but these stories make me nervous. :(

Some are true and some are hoaxes. The original fence marking ones were only true in the UK however it would seem from police reports that spotters in some localities have picked up on the practice, probably got the idea from the internet warnings.

Personally I would imagine that the hardened dog theives wouldn't use such obvious markers...with GPS locators in most smart phones they would just click a button and could send the precise coordinates everywhere. Sigh.

Hoax or not, anything that makes Joe Average take more care in keeping his dog with him or securely contained is, in my mind, a good thing.

Well, there's currently a plea for help on the AWL Qld Facebook page.

Owner of a young Staffy that got out.... has witness saying a woman picked him up & put him in her car, saying she knew him & would return him. She said his name was something like 'Mossy'.

But the owner said her dog is Kingston. He wasn't wearing his collar & ID because he'd had a bath. But he is microchipped....

At this point, poor owner doesn't know if the lady had the best of intentions .... & will discover a mistake. Or if her dog's been stolen.

Owner gives her mobile phone number for anyone who can help:

https://www.facebook.com/AWLQLD

I guess some of the stories are true, but a lot do sound like hysteria and urban myth. A lot of people who's dogs get out seems to prefer to say they were stolen rather than admit their yard isn't secure. It gets more sympathy and frees them of responsibility.

I know of one dog-napping incident in my city recently, a dog was taken from a rural property... Owners put up hefty reward and a week later someone called up and said their friend had given him this dog, and he would like the reward for it. They were happy to pay, so the finder arranged for them to go to his other friends house and meet some other person there and pay for it... All very dodgy...

I guess some of the stories are true, but a lot do sound like hysteria and urban myth. A lot of people who's dogs get out seems to prefer to say they were stolen rather than admit their yard isn't secure. It gets more sympathy and frees them of responsibility.

This.

90% of "lost" ads on my local buy, swap and sell say "stolen", because everybody wants your variety Heinz57 friendly staffy mix you know.... They aren't a dime a dozen or anything, being given away for free on the same page....

Even if there were legitimate dog fighters out and about looking for dogs all the time, everywhere, all they had to do around here is drive down the street and pick up a couple dozen strays. Even so, I imagine they could only use so many dogs before they run out of room or their bins/backyards get full of dead dogs.

Most posts get comments saying the dog was seen wandering near xyz, so obviously it is just roaming, not stolen.

There are always wandering dogs up here, mostly bull breeds and crosses of so there are plenty to take if anyone really wanted to.

I must admit to being very concerned about one of my dogs in particular though as she is an entire female of a breed growing in popularity and is friendly to everyone. When we go out she is usually left inside the house just so I don't worry about her while at work.

It's something I worry about with my poodles. Desexed of course, but any 'in vogue' breed would be a concern.

I just posted on another forum - but will mention again - our whippet was stolen from our family home (front yard) when I was a toddler. Idiots thought she was a baby greyhound. They then threw her out the back of a moving truck. Luckily we got her home again safe and sound.

In small towns you can eventually learn the whole, sordid story. In this case we did - someone saw her being scooped up from the front yard, and then another person saw her being thrown out of the truck - and then handed her in. Both of these people knew my Dad, who taught at the local high school. But he didn't find out who was driving the truck.

Anyway, thank goodness for honest people.

My dogs are kept very secure and well away from the front yard. I figure a thief might take a while to work out they are both desexed and useless for breeding, and by then it might be too late and I don't want to take that risk.

I have spoken to a few people whose poodles have been stolen. Absolutely devastating for the people it happens to.

It has been a major issue in the Hawkesbury and Hills districts Kirty. Confirmed by police (dog fighters stealing dogs).

The story about marking houses has been going around for years apparently and has not been relevant here.

Really worrying I agree. Perhaps pop into bunnings and get a really good quality lock that is easy to open/lock for your gate.

Mine are all inside if I go out. Two are crated, two with their legs in the air on the couches.

I wish I could leave mine inside but they are far too naughty! And working full time, its not fair to crate them. The IGs come to work with me most days but I cant take 6 dogs lol.

Might get a combination lock for the gate. Easier to open regularly. The yard is set well back from the road and my dogs aren't exactly high on the list of dog thieves (all old, desexed and/or non-target breeds) but I guess you never know.