Apartment Dog Breeds

Arlizng

Hi Everyone, :)

I've been debating over some breeds for a long time and i hope you can offer me your feedback. I am enamoured with these breeds :

- Samoyed

- Finnish Lapphund

- Keeshond

- Miniature Long Dachshund

What are your thoughts of any of these breeds living in an apartment. I don't mind the grooming, but i want my dog to be happy and comfortable living in a small space.

And...Go!

p.s- Thanks in advance for your feedback as I am not taking this decision lightly.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe any dogs may be suitable DEPENDING on what activity level you plan to commit to .

So the question is

What are your plans exercise wise on a daily bases every day of the year & what your are expecting from your dog

My understanding of all of these breeds (and forgive me if I'm wrong) but they can ALL be quite vocal. I think you need to pick a quieter breed for apartment living for the sake of your neighbours.

I show in the Hound Ring and I've yet to meet a quiet Dachshund of any type when it thinks someone is near its "space" :laugh: .

I'm 99% positive I"ve been told that Samoyeds are a vocal breed, particularly when happy. The Lapphund is a working breed I believe and working breeds are often bred to be vocal. At a recent show there were some very, very vocal Keeshonds, including one who was very, very crate protective.

As an aside a Fauve would also be unsuitable so I'm not saying no because I don't like any of those breeds :laugh: .

I would think a retired greyhound would be ideal.

I believe any dogs may be suitable DEPENDING on what activity level you plan to commit to .

So the question is

What are your plans exercise wise on a daily bases every day of the year & what your are expecting from your dog

My understanding of all of these breeds (and forgive me if I'm wrong) but they can ALL be quite vocal. I think you need to pick a quieter breed for apartment living for the sake of your neighbours.

I show in the Hound Ring and I've yet to meet a quiet Dachshund of any type when it thinks someone is near its "space" :laugh: .

I'm 99% positive I"ve been told that Samoyeds are a vocal breed, particularly when happy. The Lapphund is a working breed I believe and working breeds are often bred to be vocal. At a recent show there were some very, very vocal Keeshonds, including one who was very, very crate protective.

As an aside a Fauve would also be unsuitable so I'm not saying no because I don't like any of those breeds :laugh: .

I would think a retired greyhound would be ideal.

I tend to agree with both of these comments - if you are home most of the day and into running and dog sports (or other activities that challenge the mind of the dog), there is probably no reason you couldn't keep something like a border collie in an apartment, so depending on your lifestyle and level of commitment many different breeds could fit in well, but that said something with a known compulsion to bark may not be the best choice for remaining on good terms with the neighbours.

My personal choice would be for a large rug like dog, many of those would be quite happy snoozing on a couch most of the day so long as they were walked (and in my experience had some lap time :) )

Thanks for your replies.

As much as i would delight in the sammie's happy voice, i get that my neighbours may not feel the same.

@ snowdog

I would be able to walk my dog an hour a day, so i dont think a border collie and i would be a good match.

I know it sounds generic, but i would love for my dog to enjoy spending time hanging out with me. I enjoy teaching my previous dogs tricks.

@Trisven13 and @dotdashdot

I have nothing against the breeds you suggested but they aren't at the top of my list. The whippet seems a little fragile in my limited experience of the breed.

@KJJ

Unfortunately, i work full time. Gotta bring home the bacon! What might be large rug like dog breed do you have in mind? Anything smaller than a great dane? :)

@ westiemum

I would consider a westie. Thanks for the reminder.

@persephone

I would be more than happy to take my dog to obedience class (beyond puppy school?). I have never tried dog sports, but it does look like fun. I live on a 3rd floor. I would have to take my dog outside or use a portable loo.

I would say age and temp of dog was a major factor, a pup left in an apartment allday may not be ideal, an older dog who has been walked first would probably chill and sleep till you got home.

When i firt left home i took my bitza, i bought half of a victorin terrace ( upper level, no garden), i also bought a second mutt from th pound.

I walked them for an hour in the morning, took them out for the same when i got back and let them out before bedtime on the alleyway by my door, never even thought of it as hard.

I believe that Lupphunds can live in apartments. Assuming their owners do the training required and are happy to put in the time for toilet stops etc. My girl lives inside during the day so not much different to a dog in an apartment.

The problem is you cant have a lazy or off day- rain hail or shine, sick or broken you would need to go out for toilet breaks. I know I couldn't do it so will never personally live in an apartment ( because the dog bit of the equation isnt negotiable!!)

Re barking- my Lupphund only barks when I come home and she learnt that off the Kelpies. Like any breed its about training them acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. Talking to breeders about their lines is a great way work out more specifically if they are likely to be barkers etc.

I think the first step is to have a really good look at your lifestyle and work out what your willing to compromise on. I think you could find suitable dogs from all of breeds but I think it will be a matter of finding a breeder who is breeding the right litter for you and has the experience to pick the right pup.

As an aside Lappunds I have found are quite 'independent' so perhaps look at how much you want your dog to hang out with you. Do you want a velcro breed or one that is happy for a cuddle then does their own thing. I have Kelpies the ultimate velcro dog, but having a lappie is a great balancer as she dances to her own tune if that makes sense.

If you like the fluffy spitz kind of a dog I could not go past a Chow Chow for an apartment dog.

They are not overly vocal nor overly energetic, extremely clean in their habits and don't mind their own company if you are away from home.

I second the consideration of the dogs age. Raising a puppy in an apartment is a huge undertaking, particularly if you are single, and I say this from a place of experience. My pup and I lived in a second floor apartment for his first 20 months.

He has never been a particularly vocal dog though he would alert bark for visitors (not residents). The toileting was hard though. There were many middle if the night trips to our local park because he would only go on grass. I also needed to be really prompt on my trip home from work and I couldn't go out after work or do overtime unless I took it home with me. As an adult Olle is really chilled in the house, but as an adolescent dog he needed longer twice daily walks for the mental stimulation.

That being said we saw all sorts of dogs living in apartments when living in the inner city from small white fluffies to German Shepherds, Labs, Staffies and even one very chilled BC.

Edited by emgem

If you like the fluffy spitz kind of a dog I could not go past a Chow Chow for an apartment dog.

They are not overly vocal nor overly energetic, extremely clean in their habits and don't mind their own company if you are away from home.

And if you want a less fluffy version the Chow Chow comes in a shorter coat as well (which I didn't know about until recently). Also a Shar Pei may also be worth considering.

I come from a country where 99% of young people not living at home anymore live in apartments. And many, many of these people have dogs. Your chosen breeds are all quite common and I personally know several Lappies, a few Samoyeds and a couple of Dachshunds all happily living in apartments.

The dog does not exercise indoors, so it doesn't matter if your home is small. You shouldn't rely on your yard for exercise either, so the size/existence of that doesn't matter. I lived in 1 bedroom apartment with a rough collie and worked full time. No problems, the dog got his morning and evening walks and we had a fenced off park nearby.

All of the breeds have a tendency to be a little barky, but this is a training issue and if addressed early enough, won't be a problem.

I'm planning on moving overseas again and given my circumstance over there I'll probably end up living in an apartment again. I'm not loving the idea, but not because I'm afraid the dog's not going to be ok with it. I just don't like having strangers one wall away from me. :D

I think your first (and not an insignificant) obstacle will be getting a landlord that will allow you to keep a dog in an apartment.

After that it comes down to your commitment level. Few breeds can't be kept in an apartment if the owner is prepared to put a lot of time into making sure their mental and physical needs are met.

Avoid 'vocal' breeds. You have the potential to get the boot from an apartment based on neighbour complaints

FYI, there is nothing fragile about Whippets. However keeping a young Whippet amused enough not to trash your apartment could be challenge. Crating all day is not the answer for any dog IMO, regardless of where you live.

My toy poodle girl would be perfectly happy never to go outside - she'd have made an ideal apartment dog!

Chows can be pretty stubborn though so you would have to be willing to put in a lot of work with them training wise.

--Lhok