Need Positive Vibes

biker girl

we are finally moving into our new house next Friday, after renting a bedroom from a very generous friend for the last 12 months.

I have just put a permit into the local council for "an excess of dogs" as we currently have 3 sheppies and a kelpie X.

We have been living in an area where the council is zoned for dogs & kennels etc and previous to living here, we were in Tassie on 2 acres where dog numbers were not so policed.

We are going to be living in a regional town on a good sized block and when I put the application in, I also had a covering letter out lineing my 30 yrs experience of dog obedience with various clubs and what my OH has done with nursing visiting.

I am getting quite anxious about the outcome as it is now down to "their" call.............

I normally am a very positive person, it's just "IF" they say NO to the 4 dogs..........frown.gif

Any kind words of encouragement???

btw it is the Barossa Council

Edited by biker girl

I hadn't realized you had moved to SA, welcome ! :)

I don't know what its like in the Barossa but all the best with getting your permit for them all.

I applied for one where we live in Goolwa for an extra dog (we now have 3) had no issues at all biggrin.gif

crossfingers.gif for you bikergirl !

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Good luck!

This is something I've worried about as we want to get a third dog and would have to get a permit. We're putting it off because I doubt we would get one approved where we are.

I guess worst case scenario if they say no you could always just ignore it and if they ever ask say its a friends dog that's visiting..?

All the best, I really hope it gets approved, you have lots of experience and knowledge behind the application which should help :)

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Having 4 dogs in a council area zoned for two, and relying only on the mind-their-own-business-ness of our lovely neighbours, I am reeeeeaaaally hoping this goes through for you!! Good luck!

Maybe worst case scenario, get the block subdivided, then technically it's two blocks so you can have twice the number of dogs ;) Although last time I looked into subdivision it was around $30,000 so that's definitely not the cheapest option :p

Thanks everyone thumbsup1.gif

Jules... we moved back in july last year, we had planned on only staying with our friend a few months, we were about to sign a contract on another house in Lyndoch back in Sept, but with the Olympic Dam expansion falling through, the flow on effect meant the Mike had to leave the job he was at as contracts had stopped and we had to pull out of signing on the dotted line :(

We both found work, but the banks weren't real keen on leanding $$ to us as we had only just started new jobs and most want at least 12 months working history............

We can never thank our friend enough who opened his house to the two of us, four dogs, two motorbikes and three cars for this length of time biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

We can never thank our friend enough who opened his house to the two of us, four dogs, two motorbikes and three cars for this length of time

Wow!! That is sure impressive. You must all be really nice people :laugh: :laugh: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope all goes well for you with the application.

I'm in the same boat Bikergirl, we've just applied for a permit for extra dogs, 4 in an area that allows 2, we've got 25 acres though & can you believe that they still restrict us to 2 dogs & the council has a reputation for being hard to get permits from eek1.gif

I think the people you have to win over are your immediate neighbours...

So I'd be taking the cutest best behaved puppy you have around and door knocking your neighbours, and explaining to them, that you've applied to keep extra dogs, and if you can't then the cute one will have to be PTS (or something suitably tragic).

Make it really clear that if they have any problems at all - with dog things - they can come around any time or put a note in your letter box and you will be glad to do all you can to sort it. (even if that means helping them find the night barker three blocks away - because your dogs weren't home when some dog woke them up).

I think neighbours who know that you are willing to listen to any problems they might have - rather than get defensive or aggressive about it - are less likely to complain. And if something does go really wrong, they are more likely to talk to you first before they go to the council.

I went round with my dog when she was a puppy and door knocked and introduced my dog to all my neighbours. Mostly in case she escaped, but also so they knew I'd be willing to listen. Occasionally one of them will let me know they heard my dog barking (from inside the house) just so I know... One in particular - but that's when she's rung the door bell - well DUH. No complaints at all - even from the dog hater across the road. And he's been known to write nasty notes and leave them in letter boxes or send them to the local paper.

• 2 weeks later...

been a week and haven't heard back from Barossa Council, yet.

It has given us time to get out and visit our new neighbours, one side has two rescue beagles and joking asked whether I would be able to help train her beagles biggrin.gif

The other side didn't even blink when we mentioned 3 Gsds, they were more relieved that we were going to be living in the house and not renting it out smile.gif

Settlement got moved back to this week sometime as the vendor ( who wanted a quick turn around) has had issues with their bank frown.gif

Mrs Rusty Bucket......don't have a cute puppy, though we did make it clear to come and talk to us first, that we are approachable and responsible with our dogs.

Oh and I also got our vet in Tassie from the past 8 years to e-mail a reference too..................