Dogs Eating Things They Shouldn't

moosepup

Nacho threw up about 15 thin strips of leather this morning. :eek: Needless to say, the throw cushion that they once delicately fringed will now be relegated to the bin.

If he brought it up fine and did a wee and poo as normal and is being his usual (mental) self would you just monitor? Or do you get them vet checked anyway? I've never had a dog eat such a quantity of an inorganic object before. :o

ETA: by monitor I mean I have to go to work today but will be home early.

Edited by moosepup

Little rascal!

Once they throw it up I tend not to worry. One of my cats ate a cupcake pan (it had nice bits of muffin attached) the other day and I just popped her in the outdoor enclosure to eat some grass. About 30 min before dinner she started licking her lips...gave me heaps of warning! Threw it up and then ate dinner no problem. Her Mama ate some string unbeknownst to me some years back and, whilst she threw it up, had a very raw and sensitive tummy for a few days. On vet advice I starved her for 24 hours then started her on steamed chicken and rice. My Dally ate a plastic bag (fishy flavoured!) at the beach when he was younger - whipped him straight to the vet for an emetic. Threw up everything and was immediately fine. Did the same thing a week later but apparently a second trip to the vet taught him a lesson and he never did it again.

Thanks TSD! Nacho does not fall in the camp of dogs that are capable of 'learning a lesson'. I know this because I've had to stick a piece of paper to the glass sliding door at Nacho level as 3 head bangs later and he's still not sure what the heck is happening. :laugh:

Upon further inspection I'm pretty confident that what came up is all that went down and his tummy is flat so I think I'll just watch him. I'm just so glad he threw them up as I had no idea he'd even eaten them! I thought I'd puppy proofed but he loves to teach me I'm wrong. :(

One of my pugs eats a lot of weird things, and if he throws it up and then is happy/normal afterwards I'm okay and don't usually worry. If he's still a bit listless and not himself I'll keep an eye on him, but they usually tell you when they are finish puking up whatever random household item they've eaten.

Unfortunately Boston never learns, he keeps eating random things. Even if I think there is nothing in the room he can eat, he finds something or pulls something off something or rips a piece of the wall off to eat, etc

I wouldn't worry either, and I've got a Boston too! Except she's 5 years old, and doesn't show any signs of abating.. :laugh:

When I first got her I was paranoid about everything weird she ate, and she's been to the emergency vet a few times. But unless it's something that is actually toxic, or likely to cause an obstruction, I just keep a watchful eye on her and pay attention to her eating and drinking etc. :)

Mine eat weird stuff all the time. Most of the time I don't even know about it, I just find the evidence in their poop!

I think I am blessed with dogs that have amazing digestive systems, I've found a fair few poops with plastic bags entwined in them, but had no inkling that something wasn't right before the fact.

The worst one recently was when I cleaned out the fridge and found about half a birthday cake hiding in the back that had been there so long that it was just a cake shaped piece of mould. It had been wrapped in foil, so had just ended up at the back of the fridge and been forgotten about. I threw it in the bin, then came home hours later to lots of tiny pieces of foil all over the kitchen, and no mould cake. They all survived that one with no issues, although the bi started to live in the cupboard after that.

One of them also ate 4x the dose of worming tablets last time they were due for worming. I'd left the packet on the kitchen bench, and evidently one of them thought that something I usually need to force them to eat would be a tasty snack. :shrug:

leather is not too bad .. plastic and stones etc are worse :)

You now need to do another check around - and when he is left alone .. he is preferably in an area in which there are only HIS things to chew ;)

Wait until you have to follow him around tugging on 'poo-on-a-string' ;)

I've found the dogs always help out with that one. They are usually so surprised to feel something odd that they run off, and I just have to stand there holding the string until they've run far enough for it all to come out :laugh:

One of mine, Feather I suspect once ate the elastic netting that you get on some preserved hams. I only realised when I was doing poo patrol. She's the one who jumps up to raid the rubbish bag before I bin it. I was lucky she passed it with not problems.

leather is not too bad .. plastic and stones etc are worse :)

You now need to do another check around - and when he is left alone .. he is preferably in an area in which there are only HIS things to chew ;)

I thought I had pers but this might have slipped my eye as he's never paid any interest in it before. Will be extra vigilant don't worry. :D

I have really long hair, like past my butt, and I have had to remove a strand from Nachos bottom that had some poop dangling off it. Nacho is proving more challenging than Moose ever was. :rofl:

Edited by moosepup

When Tilba was a puppy she ate a hole the size of a b/b plate in her bedding. She then went outside & ate copious amounts of grass for like an hour then threw up the bedding. Same here disintegratus she's such a guts that she's chewed up foil that's been wrapped around food, that only a week ago. I got up to see lots of tiny pieces of foil everywhere. She's chewed the foil pouches the cat food comes in to name but a few. I've now bought a kids sized wheely bin for the rubbish, I now just need to get the human family to always use it. :D

Erik ate a baited fish hook. $1200 and 2 days later he came home stitched up and the hook in a little plastic container we have kept to remind of us of the horror of abandoned fish hooks. If it hadn't been Erik it could have been a wild animal that doesn't have a loving owner to rush them to hospital.

A little while ago I had the joy of cleaning up maggoty vomit. Goodness knows what Kivi had found in the minute he was out of sight, but apparently his stomach rejected it. It was the single most revolting thing I have ever had to clean up. Vomit is disgusting enough without consisting entirely of dead maggots floating in stomach juices. Kivi was pretty sorry for himself for about an hour there until he had brought up the last of it. I hope it gave him a conditioned aversion to maggoty things.

Pickles actually chews her stuff up into small easily passed morsels - her fave snack is old woollen blankets... and they tend to digest quite nicely... errr!

It's the synthetics that make for the most colourful poo patrols around here... *sigh*

T.

Guest donatella

Little turds!!

Mine shredded a bed (to oblivion) 3 weeks ago and Lucy had a few vomits for the next 24 hours (and no poops). I ended up taking her to the vet to get her xrayed to rule out blockage just in case. She was fine the second we walked out of the vets of course :hitself:

Hope your naughty guys are okay!