My Old Ewe Has Had Her Ear Ripped Off

Robbi

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbi have you thought about a couple of alpacas to guard the sheep?

Another idea is to put a couple of signs up saying "Wild dogs in the area, baits laid" and then warn the new neighbours. This has worked for a few stock owners around here.

The next step has been to shot the offending dogs when the moronic owners still don't contain their dogs. One poor owner lost 26 lambs and 4 ewes last year :cry::mad

Grumpette we have 3 and trust me with dogs they are no help, my lambs were taken last night by foxes in the same paddock. A neighbour had his alpacas all torn to bits in one night only a month or so ago by dogs :(

Donkeys are better but still can get injured they can also pick up sheep and toss them

behluka, when I was living on 134 acres with sheep, cows and horses, there was a period over a week where sheep were being attacked and killed. Chunks of wool were missing from the dead sheep. The farm manager and owners thought that it was my Rotty, which was impossible because when not with me, he was locked in the house. They were walking down the paddocks one morning after I notified them of another sheep down, when they saw a sheep fly through the air. They looked again astounded, only to wittness the shetland pony in the paddock with some sheep and mares pick up another sheep and fling that one through the air. Needless to say the pony went and they used another one to bring their mares into season, in seperate paddocks away from the sheep :eek:

Behluka are the alpacas in the same paddock? Research into guard llamas showed they were much more effective as singles, because in pairs they would stick with their own kind but if alone would bond with & protect the sheep instead.

Behluka are the alpacas in the same paddock? Research into guard llamas showed they were much more effective as singles, because in pairs they would stick with their own kind but if alone would bond with & protect the sheep instead.

I have a male that attacks sheep and the two other wethers have been together for 7 years and if separated just sit down and sulk. If my old pom cross went in there they would be straight at her or small kids. They go up to anything new and like spitting at my horses over the fence :mad We are looking at getting a llama (only because I think they are cool :o ) plus we are downsizing and will mainly only have my pet ones

Grumpette I have heard of horses/ponies drowning sheep, my stallion was starting to sheep toss around food so they had to be taken out of his paddock so now I just take Diego out for a day and left them in to do the weeding

Robbi I would approach the neighbours and let them know what happened and just inform them to be vigilent because any loose dogs on properties can and will be shot by some neighbours

Edited by behluka

Behluka, I am sorry to hear how many animals have been attacked in your area over the past few months, I realise that I am very lucky to have only an injured sheep.

I had a sweet old Alpaca for many years, he was a wonderful guardian, we never lost a lamb when he was in the paddock, I will seriously consider obtaining another after this incident.

Grumpette, at the moment we are minding our neighbours Miniature pony, my horses have shared the paddock with the sheep for many years but Napoleon the pony has previously only lived with other ponies, is it possible that he may have bitten the old ewe, I hadn't even considered that may have happened.

My son has just told me that on his way to school this morning he saw a blue heeler type dog scavenging in a bin on our road.

I am going to be hyper vigilante and leave the flood lights on tonight and keep the sheep right next to the house and take Napoleon out of their paddock.

The pony has been here about 6-8 weeks, he didn't even come into my head as he has behaved well since he arrived not even nipping at the other two horses, but now hearing about other ponies attacking sheep I have to consider that this may have occurred.frown.gif

are you allowed to shoot roaming dogs on your property or are houses too close by?

Not our property but the people who own it have brought in licensed shooters & warned the people who live in that area to keep there dogs under control or they will be shot.

They now it isn't locals but these idiots & had to take drastic action

Krislen,not that I noticed, the old ewe and her friend are now separate from the others next to a shed in a very secure little yard and shelter, and pony will be put in the small paddock very shortly. As I am typing I am looking out the window and the sheep and pony are all grazing near each other.

Earlier when I was spraying the ewes ear with the good old purple spray Yogi and Abbie my dogs were standing quietly in the yard watching what was going on, the ewe was not at all worried about them being near her. I don't know what to think, sometimes I wish they could talk.

Edited by Robbi

My young foal chased my poor pet sheep and in the process snapped off his horn, I looked out the window to see him pick the sheep up and throw him then run up to him, jump on him and paw him to try and get him to run.

I raced outside with a broom, and raced into the paddock, the young colt decided he really wanted the sheep to run and went to go in again and wore a broom for his trouble - he was an overly confident bolshey young colt. I had to drag my 90kg exhausted pet sheep under an electric wire and out the gate where we both flopped on the ground trying to recover.

Even though the colt was "only playing" he would have and did come very close to killing Groover .

Fingers crossed you ahve no more incidents

Krislen,not that I noticed, the old ewe and her friend are now separate from the others next to a shed in a very secure little yard and shelter, and pony will be put in the small paddock very shortly. As I am typing I am looking out the window and the sheep and pony are all grazing near each other.

Earlier when I was spraying the ewes ear with the good old purple spray Yogi and Abbie my dogs were standing quietly in the yard watching what was going on, the ewe was not at all worried about them being near her. I don't know what to think, sometimes I wish they could talk.

Just like in Babe. I so love that film, espesially after being introduced to herding :D

Sorry :offtopic:

baits laid warning sign is probably a good idea too. frown.gif

;) 'cept dogs can't read .

My vote is for the pony!! Horses can snap .. and he may have wanted her not so close .... They bite each other , so why not their paddock mates ?

My vote is for the pony!! Horses can snap .. and he may have wanted her not so close .... They bite each other , so why not their paddock mates ?

My meaning was for it to be placed where people could see it amd maybe they'd be more careful about containing their dogs.

If you are going to approach your neighbours i would just say that your sheep has been attacked and that you suspect wild/stray dogs and that you thought it best to warn all your neighbours so that everyone is aware.

That way you arent blaming anyone and if by chance it was their dogs then they might think about keeping them contained better.

I dont live in the country, but its a good start.

[perfect approach... then the new neighbours will not get defensive and antagonistic.

H

My meaning was for it to be placed where people could see it and maybe they'd be more careful about containing their dogs.

I know , sorry ... ;)