Advice On Introducing Two Dogs

Perry's Mum

On Friday night I am acquiring a new Koolie - Friskie. Friskie is 12 1/2 - her owner died and she is coming from Geelong on the plane to live with us. She arrives around 9pm.

Perry, who is 10 1//2, has always been an only dog except when we have had fosters. Fosters have arrived in daylight so I have been able to introduce them carefully and separate for a while if necessary. I think they will get on fine in the long run but I am concerned about the introductions.

Any advice on introducing the two? I am on my own. Do I take Perry to the airport and introduce them there on neutral ground? Or leave Perry at home, pick up Friskie and introduce them in the house. We live in Canberra so it will be dark and cold.

All advice gratefully received.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot depends on your vehicle, since you are on your own. If you intro them at the airport, then you have to drive them both home. If you have separate crates for them, no drama, I would vote for the airport intro as it is neutral.

But if they have to share a back seat or wagon back etc. it will be too hard to properly supervise them and drive safely simultaneously. I would give them a brief intro at home and keep them separated until the next day when you can do a proper intro.

I would go the quick intro that night at home then separate till morning IMHO. Too easy for things to go wrong in the car, uncrated & not worth the risk.

I agree with this - I don't like bringing new dogs home at night, have found it much better to do intros earlier in the day and then spend time observing etc.

Always intro on neutral territory. Best if you have someone to help you though.

Alternatively you could do this - it will sound ridiculous but I have found it to be a really good way of managing when you are on your own. Tie one dog up to a post etc. Walk the other dog around them (with a wide berth so they can't touch) in a circle - 3 times in one direction and then turn around and go 3 times in the opp direction. Then swap the dogs over.

Hopefully you won't see any signs of aggression from either dog at this point.

Then take them for a walk - best if you have two people but you can only do your best.

Don't leave the dogs together unsupervised for some time until you are completely sure they are OK with each other. I'd say for a couple of weeks.

Also, with the new dog, don't do much at all with them for a couple of weeks, let them just relax and settle into the new environment before you start taking them out anywhere or having people/other dogs around.

Hope this makes sense.

I always let the new dog calm down, settle in and gain it's trust before proper face to face introductions. If that means a baby gate or crate in/out for a while so be it. I have never had a fight as by the time they are actually introduced that novelty of a new dog and smell has worn off completely. I would wait until the new one gains her bearings.