What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

I suppose it would be easy to make papers if you used 2 pedigrees, however i don't even think that is needed. My next question to these gullible people "to what nationally recognized registry would they be on? or is it just a piece of paper the puppy farmer or backyard breed made up?

of course I'd only say this to those who were rude about it otherwise I either try to explain, or leave it. the best one is my sister and her bull arab. Oh that one can go one forever and every time i get through to her she relapses cause I think her partner defends the dogs breeding.

My last effort was to show images google has on neo mastiffs, great danes, english mastiffs, grey hounds and bull mastiffs. I explain a basic consistency in type, height and weight and appearance style. And ask her to point out the obvious backyard bred, to show/purebred dog style. And she did great. considering her lack of eye, then we looked at bull arabs and we couldn't find 3 dogs that looked at the same or more then one that looked like her boy. and i explained that no one has bred a pure bull arab, and people who she states made the breed are self pro claimers, Her argument then is she can't find any info on the breed past them. I then say cause they aren't a breed and these yobbos have made websites and created a trend in naming a type of cross pig hunters have been doing for decades , they just called them their pig dogs, their mutts, their mates ect.

i wouldn't go to that much effort with anyone esle but i do love arguing with my sister cause she bites hard and then when i win it is kinda fun. Siblings huh?. to keep it above relationship damaging I do like her boy and I express that but i say all her lucky stars fell in that box to get such a nice dog as he is. Considering the potential bad combos that could be in him.

Edited by Angeluca

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Purebred: A dog bred from a pure female and a pure male dog, dogs bred from hermaphrodites and transgender dogs are not considered purebred :p

The other more likely scenario, if designer dog A mates with designer bitch A then that produces purebred puppy A.

Not many people think about crossbreeding going back generations, if mum and dad look the same then it must be a purebred dog

They aren't ANKC registered but I believe there is actually a Bullarab registry. There are some people working very hard to have them recognised as an actual breed. But most 'bullarabs' you see for sale are bull arabs crossed with something else, I see a lot crossed with dane and weimaraner.

Those pig hunters with true bullarabs certainly don't call them their mutts, they are very proud of them. They aren't a designer breed, they've been bred for a specific task.

They aren't ANKC registered but I believe there is actually a Bullarab registry. There are some people working very hard to have them recognised as an actual breed. But most 'bullarabs' you see for sale are bull arabs crossed with something else, I see a lot crossed with dane and weimaraner.

Those pig hunters with true bullarabs certainly don't call them their mutts, they are very proud of them. They aren't a designer breed, they've been bred for a specific task.

There are 2 'registries' ABBA and the Australian Bull Arab registry. And their standard differs slightly.

ABBA http://australianbullarab.com

claim to already have purebreds and claim if they are from a group of select breeders and can provide papers on request to registered pups that provide linage. And claim their main goal is to be recognized by the ANKC. but to not enforce DNA testing yet. they have a gallery but is is of the founding breeds ect and doesn't show any recent type establishment.

Australian Bull Arab Registry http://www.bullarab.com.au

From what i can gather by their website is they haven't actually established the breed, But intend to whether it's recognized by ANKC or just following their guidelines to establish a pedigree and type, they require DNA testing and believe there is enough to determine bull arab breeding to create a unique DNA series, and any blood that detects any other breed would not be eligible for entry to stud book. there gallery is of recent pics and shows a couple of dogs of different colour but same sort of shape and size. I also think all these dogs are from 1 breeder, so do all breeders follow this style or are they all doing slightly different things

So which would be a legitimate registry? or are they both or neither, are they just a group of breeders that type up papers like the oodles do out there.

in forums and on fackbook groups there are people quoting pedigree names and saying thins like warrego lines and hodgens lines and a another one or 2 can't remember but all this dogs look very different to muzzle short and wrinkle, broad deep chests and very front heavy, this dog also appears to have a natural bob tail gene going by a picture of his current little or long and short tails..(which none of it is in either's standard yet this person claims to be apart of one of these registries) to lean loose lipped but firmish facial skin most with a wrinkle in definition when at attention, athletic appearance med chest depth and balanced over all.

I have mentioned them to my sister she seen their website and thought about the DNA testing for her boy. In their standard he is way too tall but fits very other way.

I am going to call them for arguement sake when i take with my sister and for curiosity to see who they consider the founder of the breed. As Mike Hodgens seems to be an icon to some hated by others but menton by quite a few as the founder.

My elderly neighbour's 10 year old foxy passed away late one afternoon. She contacted Pets at Peace but they were't able to collect the dog until the next day so she contacted our local vet to see if they could pick him up. The receptionist then processed to tell her that no they couldn't take him and to just wrap him in 2 plastic bags so that nothing leaked out and then put him in the freezer. I cant tell you how upset she was at this lack of sensivity and from her own vet :(

My elderly neighbour's 10 year old foxy passed away late one afternoon. She contacted Pets at Peace but they were't able to collect the dog until the next day so she contacted our local vet to see if they could pick him up. The receptionist then processed to tell her that no they couldn't take him and to just wrap him in 2 plastic bags so that nothing leaked out and then put him in the freezer. I cant tell you how upset she was at this lack of sensivity and from her own vet :(

Very sterile advice from them. Practical but entirely tactless.

How awful for her. :(

Agreed how hard it is to say sorry we can't !!!! icon_smile_mad.gif

I had friends over on the weekend (who have a fat Labrador of their own), and the husband asked me what breed Trouble was... when I told him she was a Labrador, he said "you could fit 3 of her into Ralph" (which is sadly true)...

All the while, the wife is saying "we'll take you to our house and fatten you up"... aarrgghh!

Note to self - don't ever let these particular friends mind the dogs if I go away... errr!

T.

Exactly. I really struggle to understand why people can't be sensitive and appreciative of a situation and nice, when it's so easy to do- why be harsh?

Anyway to the purebred dog frustrations argument. What annoys me about the whole thing is people calling a spade a shovel, when it's clearly a spade. Or, why pretend/think/tell others/mistakenly believe that your '-oodle' is a purebred dog, when it isn't. Don't get me wrong I love bitsa's- I own one, my precious kelpie x, Mr Rexie- but he isn't anything other than a kelpie cross staffie! And no one could convince me he's a special kind of Kel-ord that should be left entire and then produce a new generation of unique, special Kel-ords (btw lol this was the best name combo I could think of quickly :) )

Same deal with 'oh this is my purebred Labrador (for eg)'. Me (usually) oh, who bred him? And you get the breeder's first name and where they're from, rather than a kennel name... Me: oh, that's nice. *general question re papers/breeder's prefix which results in a blank stare*. And then confusion about why my dog has 'papers' and theirs doesn't/can't have them. That's not really so annoying, as it's a result not of willful blindness, but ignorance and misinformation- it's the pretence that a dog is something it isn't that really irritates me. And people I know and like a lot, fall for it (Aussie bulldogs are another classic example along the Bull Arab line).

My rant over now! :laugh:

Exactly. I really struggle to understand why people can't be sensitive and appreciative of a situation and nice, when it's so easy to do- why be harsh?

Anyway to the purebred dog frustrations argument. What annoys me about the whole thing is people calling a spade a shovel, when it's clearly a spade. Or, why pretend/think/tell others/mistakenly believe that your '-oodle' is a purebred dog, when it isn't. Don't get me wrong I love bitsa's- I own one, my precious kelpie x, Mr Rexie- but he isn't anything other than a kelpie cross staffie! And no one could convince me he's a special kind of Kel-ord that should be left entire and then produce a new generation of unique, special Kel-ords (btw lol this was the best name combo I could think of quickly :) )

Same deal with 'oh this is my purebred Labrador (for eg)'. Me (usually) oh, who bred him? And you get the breeder's first name and where they're from, rather than a kennel name... Me: oh, that's nice. *general question re papers/breeder's prefix which results in a blank stare*. And then confusion about why my dog has 'papers' and theirs doesn't/can't have them. That's not really so annoying, as it's a result not of willful blindness, but ignorance and misinformation- it's the pretence that a dog is something it isn't that really irritates me. And people I know and like a lot, fall for it (Aussie bulldogs are another classic example along the Bull Arab line).

Unfortunately a lot of that comes from the "breeder" saying the dog is purebred etc

I meet a lot of people in my dog park with "purebred pugs" and I've lost count of the number of times I've gotten myself into sticky situations as I see someone with a new black pug cross and go up (with my two black pugs) and say "awww she's adorable, what's she crossed with?" and I get insulted looks while they tell me she's purebred (the nose clearly says otherwise).

Then someone said the other day to me "your dogs are amazing, they could be show dogs" and I was like, well no his head isn't quite right etc and their eyes glazed over, but their point was ... my pugs look like pugs and that is apparently rare :rofl:

How does one tactfully offer such advice to a grieving owner? It's good common sense, but not easy to impart under those circumstances...

T.

How does one tactfully offer such advice to a grieving owner? It's good common sense, but not easy to impart under those circumstances...

T.

I think leaving out the graphic idea of leakage would be a good start. I totally agree, very sage advice and very practical but hard to swallow in the circumstances.

I'm stepping in here to defend the 'Aussie Bulldogs'. There are a number of different registries and they are not all equal. I have 2 dogs that are registered with The Australasian Bosdog Society. We are very serious about getting recognised by ANKC and I don't think it will be too much longer before we are. We have changed the name of the breed to fit in with the ANKC rules, all pups are registered and come with papers (that have all the same info tha ANKC papers have on them), they are now up to 7th generation pups from Bosdog to Bosdog breeding. We have a standard, and although there is still variety in the look of some dogs it's no more than I can see in many other breeds that are recognised by ANKC. All breeding dogs must be hip and elbow score and the results must be below a certain score before their papers are upgraded to main for breeding.

It really annoys me when people are so dismissive of something that others are working so hard for.

In my first litter of pups I had a lovely lady purchase one of the boys and she was beside herself with excitement about him and while she was shopping for dog stuff she ran into a family friend who also happens to be a breeder (BC I think) and she said 'oh, is this for the mongrel mutt you're getting?' Rude beyond belief if you ask me.

I'm confused with the difference between purebred and pedigree.

From my understanding a purebred dog is a single breed, i.e a border collie from border collie parents that fits within the breed standards but not necessarily from a registered breeder

I was under the impression that dogs from registered breeders with a prefix were considered pedigree

So all pedigree dogs are purebred but not all purebred dogs are pedigree

...correct me if I'm wrong

From my understanding a purebred dog is a single breed, i.e a border collie from border collie parents that fits within the breed standards but not necessarily from a registered breeder

I was under the impression that dogs from registered breeders with a prefix were considered pedigree

My understanding too :)

My understanding too :)

So in the above example the owner of the Labrador is right in saying their dog is purebred despite the lack of papers