Non-chewable/extra Strong Outside Dog Bed

Mollyrulz

I have an 18 mth old dog (Lagotto) which cannot stop chewing his outside dog bed :confused:

I put the Vicks vaporub on the corners and around the bed but he waits for a few days then starts chewing .... a small hole which becomes bigger by the week ... I keep putiing on Vicks and he goes for another spot!... he's out-witting me (LOL)...

I currently have one of those "trampoline" type of bed with a Flea Free Cover...

Can someone recommend something he won't chew on?

Thanks

If he really is a chewer -give up now and get him something you do not mind him chewing up!

It could be a phase he is going through and will give up eventually although I have had chewers who enjoyed a chew all their lives (14+)

I had the same problem. We were going through a hession bag every 3 weeks on my boy's bed. I "rescued" an old trampoline mat from the streets hard rubbish collection and attached that to all of the hammock beds with bolts and nuts. It took a little while and we needed to drill through the frame. That was a year ago now and I still have beds intact.

ETA the trampoline mat from a childs trampoline is what I'm talking about here so I managed to cover 5 beds out of the one mat.

Edited by Airedaler

There is a DOLer panlewis who makes beds which are tougher than most. Custom steel frame with the canvas type of awning material I think it is. Maybe PM them and see if theirs would suit you?

I can't remember the exact details but I know they do something different at the corners so it's harder for the dogs to start chewing there because that is usually how the problem starts.

I know some kenneled dogs who were chronic bed destroyers but didn't destroy these beds.

They are in NSW but the beds can be shipped, not sure where you are?

He has chewed through 4 "replacement" cover or whatever you call them.... my son'd Lab had this bed and never chewed on his bed... but this one is a bit of a nightmare. Luckily he does not chew on my Outdoor Furniture :laugh:

I thought he was going through a "phase" but unfortunately I think it will be a permanent habit...

There is a DOLer panlewis who makes beds which are tougher than most. Custom steel frame with the canvas type of awning material I think it is. Maybe PM them and see if theirs would suit you?

I can't remember the exact details but I know they do something different at the corners so it's harder for the dogs to start chewing there because that is usually how the problem starts.

I know some kenneled dogs who were chronic bed destroyers but didn't destroy these beds.

They are in NSW but the beds can be shipped, not sure where you are?

I am in Brisbane - how do I PM them?... sorry - not very tech savvy!

Buy 1 bottle of Tabasco sauce (supermarket)

1 x spray bottle (500 ml)

put about 4 cm of Tabasco sauce in the bottle, fill with water.

Spray entire bed with mixture. If dog continues to eat the bed, put more Tabasco in the mix

Spray bed daily ... probably for about 2 weeks, until dog learns that the bed tastes nasty.

My cavaliers who just loved the cable ties on the beds, ate them off as soon as they were on, soon learned once the Tabasco was sprayed on. Yep, we had a bit of mouth pawing, but they learned to leave them alone.

IMHO, this is about the only thing which works.

Otherwise use Bitter Bite from the pet shop. I haven't had much luck with that

I've handled this problem by finding an old pallet and some old carpet scraps (you can generally get them free from the bin behind a carpet company). Use roofing nails or carpet tacks to secure the carpet to the pallet. Dogs find this hard to destroy, and even if they tear up the carpet, you can replace it for nothing.

Try a Kuranda bed...expensive but very hard to chew up. :)

+ 1 ..... these beds are a bit pricey but very strong. I brought 2 , 5 years ago & they still look like brand new. Fantastic quality.

Edited by BC Crazy