Nsw Bushfires - For Newbie Members!

Brandiandwe

Here in Terrigal on the Central Coast of NSW the smoke is thick and although the fires are a good 40 mins from me, I just found ash on my lounge! That is scary that the embers are flying around this far down. I'm following our local police page on Facebook and an out of control fire was dangerously close to a service station at Doyalson, it has now hit it :(

I have family that live near Doyalson I didn't realise it was affecting that area.... Can I please have the link to the FB page?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Terrigal on the Central Coast of NSW the smoke is thick and although the fires are a good 40 mins from me, I just found ash on my lounge! That is scary that the embers are flying around this far down. I'm following our local police page on Facebook and an out of control fire was dangerously close to a service station at Doyalson, it has now hit it :(

I have family that live near Doyalson I didn't realise it was affecting that area.... Can I please have the link to the FB page?

Brisbane Water Local Area Command. People in the area are posting what is actually happening there, hope your family are safe.

https://www.facebook.com/BrisbaneWaterLAC

Didn't know there even was an OT section! I'm too new.

I'm close to the springwood, mt riverview fires. Not in direct trouble, but unpredictable weather is the only concern currently.

Best of thoughts for those right in harms way, and especially to those who have unfortunately already lost homes.

Be safe Stan's Mum, Stan & Maddie :crossfingers:

Thanks bertie we'll be ok we're too close to the ocean to really affect us it's the Northern end of the Coast that's bad. The smoke is unbelievably thick here, the roads are closed all over the place. Thankfully the wind has dropped now it was 70k's an hour earlier.

Didn't know there even was an OT section! I'm too new.

I'm close to the springwood, mt riverview fires. Not in direct trouble, but unpredictable weather is the only concern currently.

Best of thoughts for those right in harms way, and especially to those who have unfortunately already lost homes.

Stay safe Ren.

I am away caravaning atm but where I live in the Port Stephens area the fires are horrendous. Homes lost etc. William town air port is closed. Access roads to get into Nelson Bay are also closed.

Thoughts are with all families & their beloved animals effected by these dreadful fires. Thankfully our home is safe for now.

Thankful for the cool change at least. Haven't looked at the news or gone outside yet.

Even where I am (near Hornsby) the air is full of fire smell. Hayfever central. All I can think: OMG, these poor people. :cry::cry:

At Northmead it's the same. I won't be outside today because of asthma, but it really does pale into insignificance!

Story in the Maitland-Mercury from a journalist, Belinda-Jane, who helped rescue a lady, her dog & goat. Then got the police to help her rescue 2 teenage boys who wouldn't leave the family's border collies & a litter of puppies. She says she's not a hero. But she was a true friend of the animals & their owners:

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/1848837/i-helped-save-two-lives/?cs=171

First human fatality, yes. I also grieve for all the wildlife and any livestock and domestic pets who have died in the fires as well.frown.gif

Watched an amazing news story on a family who were not permitted into the fire zone to save their dog, chooks and ducks. Once the danger was over they prepared for the worst as they drove closer to their property and saw their neighbours homes razed - their own home was burnt to the ground and they began to grieve for their pets. As they turned into their own driveway, however, what should greet them but the dog guarding the chooks and ducks and keeping them safe and well in the driveway! Touched a chord with me.

Watched an amazing news story on a family who were not permitted into the fire zone to save their dog, chooks and ducks. Once the danger was over they prepared for the worst as they drove closer to their property and saw their neighbours homes razed - their own home was burnt to the ground and they began to grieve for their pets. As they turned into their own driveway, however, what should greet them but the dog guarding the chooks and ducks and keeping them safe and well in the driveway! Touched a chord with me.

Hopefully will touch the chords of those who say: it's just a dog. Hopefully it is true and not the beginnings of an urban myth.