Harry Suffered Bloat Last Night

Flashsmum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first 48 hours after bloat/torsion surgery are the critical ones - sounds like all is going to plan so far, so fingers crossed he is good to go home tomorrow.

In a couple of weeks, you will only have the scary memories, OK? Funnily enough, Harry probably won't... *grin*

Hang in there, Harry is in good hands and will be home soon...

T.

Thanks again, all. I am on tenterhooks until that 48 hours is up (about 2am tomorrow) and then I think I'll start to feel a bit more confident.

The vets have been wonderful, and explained everything so well. It's sort of a bad thing that I have read so much about bloat since having great danes, so I know all the bad stuff! I am being more hopeful with each call from the vet. The one that was on today called about 6.30 and told me he is still going well. He's not eaten, but they know that Harry is not food driven, so feels that he will eat once he gets home.

I rang my boss and told him what had happened and that I will need to go home when he is discharged, hopefully about lunchtime, and he was do good about it. He said that if I needed to get him in the morning and not come in at all it's ok. I have the best bosses in the world. They are doggie people and understand how important ours are to us. I am grateful for so many things, and am humbled by everyone's thoughts!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart :worship:

He's home!!! He hadn't pooed at the vet's, but as soon as he got out of the car at home, he did!

He's now lying in his favourite spot, on the floor next to my bed. Tried to get him onto his own soft bed, but he didn't want to know. He's very quiet and keeps dozing off, so hopefully he'll sleep a bit and help the healing.

They did stitch his stomach whilst they operated, so at least it shouldn't twist again. :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone, you've been so supportive to a stranger and her dog, this really is a great community.

Go Harry!

The pooping is a good thing - hope you rang the vet and described it for them... they love that sort of thing... *grin*

Easy on what you feed him for a few days while he's still healing, and in a couple of weeks time it will seem like a distant memory.

T.

Go Harry!

The pooping is a good thing - hope you rang the vet and described it for them... they love that sort of thing... *grin*

Easy on what you feed him for a few days while he's still healing, and in a couple of weeks time it will seem like a distant memory.

T.

Yep, did that :laugh:

Happy tears here! So glad your beautiful boy is home :thumbsup:

At least my sad and frightened tears are happy ones now, and I'm so glad. It's a wonderful world where strangers can cry over our dog (as I have done many times for other's).

ETA: I've never quoted within the quote before!

Edited by Flashsmum

Poor Harry had to go back to the vet yesterday, and then again this morning!

He had a bad night on Monday night, in pain and distressed, and not wanting to stand, but settled again by morning. I called the vet about 4am and she said to give him more pain meds, which seemed to work. He doesn't get up to toilet, so we need to get him up and walk out with a lead so he'll go, and he collapsed when he was coming back in.

His gums are very pale, and his red blood cell count had gone from 32 to 28 yesterday, and he won't eat anything.

Yesterday the vet gave us some tablets to stimulate his appetite, so far haven't worked.

We took him back again this morning for another blood test this morning and red blood cell count is now at 26. A full blood count is now being done, although the vet said she in not overly worried, but wants to see if there are any underlying issues.

About midnight last night Harry seemed to turn a corner. He all of a sudden relaxed, stopped panting, curled up into his cat position, sighed and slept!!! I have never been happier to hear a dog snore :thumbsup:

At the vet's this morning he was much more alert, and was sniffing up on the desk!! When we got him home he sniffed food, licked it, but didn't eat yet, but at least half interested.

Now fingers crossed pain is managed well enough (won't eat so has to have Zymadol which makes him high, so trying half dose), he poos and blood count comes back good, then I will be happy!

Oh no poor Harry :(

Fingers crossed the bloods come back fine and the count improves. Is there something he really loves to eat like BBQ chook? Give him a big kiss from me and sending hugs to you, I know how it feels when you just stare at them wishing you could tell them it's all going to be ok :hug:

Thanks for the hugs, they DO make me feel better :)

He loves BBQ chicken, fish fingers, hot dogs, etc, etc but just turns his head away from the food. This morning he sniffed the fish fingers that had BBQ scrapings from the hotplate on them, licked them and left them. At least he sniffed and licked, so hopefully will soon start wanting to eat them.

I just want my clown back :cry:

How scary Flashsmum... I hope he recovers soon :(

I'm a bit paranoid about bloat - I don't have a giant breed by any measure (she's about 25 kilos) but she has a really, really deep chest - almost a sighthound-y body. So it's something I'm conscious of.