• Never bitten
  3. 3. Have they bitten another animal?

• Snap, no bruise
    • Hard enough to bruise
    • Hard enough to break the skin
    • Hard enough to requre stitches
    • Fatal attack
    • Never bitten

Out of interest, I have provided an anonymous poll for members to record their dogs' biting history. I am aware that this poll might be skewed due to the educated status of a lot of DOL members.

When I talk about biting here, I do not talk about play biting or trained bites. I'm talking about defence, offence or prey bites.

I'm aware of the sensitive nature of this topic so I have made the poll anonymous. If people wish to share their stories I hope that no aggressive unsolicited advice will be given.

If you have more than one dog that has bitten, please fill out the poll for the most serious incident in each category.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of mine has snapped at me, he was very young and pig headed and it was the one and only time he has ever tried it. I think the trouble he got in actually shocked him. That's going back 9 years or so now.

And my youngster has broken another dogs skin, but in her defence the dog was attacking her at the time :/.

1) Never bitten.

2) She got into a massive barney with next doors dog once, next doors owner of the dog was warned what would likely happen to his dog if it got into her yard well in advance. Broken skin, unknown if needed stitches.

3) RIP Duckling.

Edited by DaffyDuck

One of mine has snapped at me but it was due to a very sore injury he had at the time. His teeth touched me, no mark, it didn't hurt.

Neither of my dogs have bitten another dog but my Aussie killed a bird when she was only about 16 weeks old :eek: she snapped it out of the air when it was down near the ground and broke its neck.

None of my dogs have ever bitten or snapped at a person.

A previous dog of mine attacked another dog of mine badly enough to tear skin and muscle. Other than that, none have injured another dog.

My dogs have killed several doves in our yard and a few wild rats over the years. They also killed our rabbits after the rabbits escaped from their enclosure.

I struggled a bit to answer, Issy has bitten a person, but the recipient of the bite did not stick around long enough for me to see if he required stitches. She did rip his clothing and draw blood but I can't say about the stitches. He was trespassing and opened the door without knocking - and she just launched at him, he ran so we never found out what his injuries were. She is extremely territorial and I am very careful with her if we have visitors, she is particularly bad at night if you are not well know to her. Family can wander in but nobody else. She has bitten a dog in retaliation when it attacked her and broken the skin but no stitches required. Alf has never bitten a person or a dog, neither of them have ever bitten any other animal but I would not trust them if they caught one of the neighbourhood cats that seem to be free to come into the yard at night.

Mine have never bitten a person or other dog, but they have caught a couple of the Myna birds that come in after their food, and they would likely kill rabbits and such.

When I lived more rurally many wild rabbits, a fox, 2 chickens and several snakes were killed, but those dogs passed long ago.

Edited by Diva

Neither of my dogs owned have bitten, I have no evidence of my old lab even getting to small animals unless he found them already dead, stinky and rotting.

But I think it's just a case of when and where Nova will catch something, he is an avid bird chaser, but so far he is too slow. (I'm not counting the numerous butterflies he's caught)

Edited by LisaCC

Stick with the most serious in each.

But that really doesn't help the survey.

One of mine snapped at a vet when he was sick and upset.

I couldn't think you can say he had bitten humans. It proves nothing about his temperment. The same dog had been swamped by small kids and groped all over a few days before...

On the other hand, both my boys have killed many birds.. :o It wasn't my fault, they would jump up and snatch birds out of the air...

I answered the poll using my bulldogs. They have never bitten anyone or anything. Simi (adult female) has growled and pushed a rude Pom into the ground, however said dog had raced across a park and launched itself at her face so I'd say her response was very restrained!

My JRT will bare her teeth and snap at us but that's because my husband has played rough with her and encouraged that response but she is a softy and loves all people. Both of the small dogs would have a snap at another dog if they felt threatened and the JRT has killed many rats, mice and lizards.

My boxer has never bitten a person or another dog thankfully. He didn't respond even when my in-laws mini poodle bit him hard on the face. He just stood there and waited for her to let go. embarrass.gifI have buried a rat, and several birds that were too slow though. All feral species at least....

yes, yes, and yes.

this is over many years .

Have bitten and made holes in people - and dogs - and caused a dog fatality .

Our dogs do scrap , often .. and leave scratches /bruises. Sometimes when they are working elsewhere with say, dogs owned by several workers ...there are fights leading to slit ears & much tenderness/bruising - nothing too drastic.

I remember once when my then young Kieran who was very tall (think deerhound) bounced up to a pet goat and grabbed her tail ...she accelerated ... and he was left with the tip of her tail! Not quite sure who got the biggest shock there - it wasn't intentional - he used to grab the horse's tail and pull .. guess he thought goat tails were similar?

My Mum's O E S from many years ago was a watchdog .. and folks knew not to come in . Men considered suspicious would often end up on the ground - as she always went for the groin area .... and it obviously hurt ! No blood ever ..but it was an effective deterrent. :o