• Never bitten
  3. 3. Have they bitten another animal?

• Snap, no bruise
    • Hard enough to bruise
    • Hard enough to break the skin
    • Hard enough to requre stitches
    • Fatal attack
    • Never bitten

I didn't even think about other animals when answering the first time. Mine have killed birds, rabbits, possums, rodents etc.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Kira has ever killed anything that was ever alive, but Tip did kill penny lizards, mice, rats, birds,frogs (oh the poor screaming little frogs) and several snakes- yes he was a terror (umm Terrior, but neither ever even looked sideways at a human or another dog. With luck that will continue.

Di

1 My golden bit my son when he was a pup, my son accidentally sat down on his leg frown.gif

both learnt valuable lesson and were very concerned about one another.

A doberman who bit a man who jumped the back fence 6 ft wooden, she chased him he jumped on the fence, so did she, bit him he screamed fence broke and he ran off. don't know how bad he never came back I watched from my bedroom window. I was 8 when it was over went into dad told him the fence is broke and Shar needs to be let inside. After the full story and a ripped shirt on the fence she got to sleep with me that night. ( FYI single beds are hard to share with dobermans even if your little) It was about 5 months after this she broke though the fence chasing a strange dog off got hit by a car. passed instantly I was devastated. crying.gif

We got her as an attack trained guard dog (so the guy who got away was pretty lucky) about 2 yrs earlier at a different address when someone broke into our house through my bedroom window. My brother had a bed in my nannas room where I just happened to be sleeping that night. He picked my brother up and started walking out but bumped nannas bed, She woke and grabbed my brothers hanging arm and screamed, he ran off after dad chased him with a disarmed ww2 rifle. (Can't be fired, but we had been getting broken into alot) If I had been sleepin in my own bed things could have been very different. Cops told dad where to get her, said the guy would probably come back. She was specifically taught to hate men, (Apart from her owner) very nice soft spoken guy, dad had to meet with her 5 times before he could bring her home, loved woman and children but the mower man had specific instructions for us when he came.

Hadn't told that story in years, think I might just go cry myself to sleep now.frown.gif Miss her so.

2 Had a Rotty that had a fight with a staffy, no skin broken,

3 Goldens mostly lizards, bearded dragons, Had a rotty (different one) who was fast enough to get possums on a tree studded property (3 or more trees within 2 m squared) never broke skin just frightened them or broke their necks.

Edited by Angeluca

I think all mine have broken my skin with puppy bites, but I excluded this. Milk teeth and old lady thin skin are not a good combination.

As with others, the "other animal" category is problematic. I encourage them to kill mice, rats, gophers, squirrels, and depending on where I live, rabbits. There is no way they would attack a sheep or pig or other larger domesticated animal. Chickens? Might be a problem, or they might just fetch them and bring them to me.

Doesn't answering the most serious response scew the statistics ? What is it your trying to achieve? Bunching a persons lifetime of dogs down to 'the most serious' response doesn't achieve a thing in my mind. Except to point out we're human and make mistakes, miscalculate, misjudge and have lapses of attention.

Boofy has bitten me, twice. He's very possessive with bones and I made the mistake of not realising this, when many years ago, I attempted to take a bone from him.

Has he bitten another dog? Sure he has, all of them have when they've had scraps over food. Monte I think was one of the few pugs I've known who never ever attacked another dog trying to steal his food.

Olivia is actually quite a pushy bitch and she will use aggressive tactics regularly.

The difference with these bites or signs of aggression is size and capacity. A topic we all often have squabbles over on this forum. When Boof bit me I moved my hand away shocked. He had marked me. When he did it again I simply picked him up by the scruff. You couldn't do this with a larger dog. I then collected the bone with my free hand and I let him know I was displeased. I have no doubt he was ready to do battle with me to keep his bone though!

The same when they get into scraps over food. I just pick one up. I am not overly concerned about injury to myself because their bone structure, poorly placed/distributed teeth and size means they lack the ability usually to do any great damage. Besides which, they've never tried to bite me when I pick them up..... unless it is Boof with a bone.

They rarely do damage to each other too, for the same reasons above, unless they get hold of an ear. I've seen a couple of bleeding ears over the years but that is all.

Edited by ~Anne~

Zig has never bitten, me or anyone else.

He has never shown any aggression or bitten another animal. Even when he was attacked, all he did was drop to the ground. He doesn't defend himself, which honestly, I don't think is a good thing at all.

I only answered the poll based on Ziggy.

The last foster dog we had here, Zippy, killed and hunted birds in the backyard. But never bit anyone or anything else. She was very submissive when it came to other dogs..

Ronnie

No

No

Yes, she loves hunting all sorts of little creatures living in our garden Lizard's mostly and Cicada's at the moment.

Diesel

No

Yes

No

Diesel was attacked and he bit in self defense however being a Stafford his one bite was a good one, ever since he has had fear issues and issues with other male dogs on his property, thankfully iv been taught to manage him but its always in the back of my mind that he has the ability to do damage.

Do you mean outside dogs, or include pack members?

My current dogs have never bitten another dog,( my Wie did, required vet visit), however I did have a scrap which ended in a vet visit between 2 of mine not long after one arrived.

My cattle has nipped the back of someone's leg once.

My dally has killed many rabbits and birds and a he and my Wei got a cat once too.

I have a lot of dogs lol

Gypsy-

people: has bitten several people, but never broken skin, just hard enough to bruise(and will never have the chance to do more damage)

dogs: again yes, but never broken skin(again, I just keep her the heck away from strange larger dogs)

other animals: no, she is EXTREMELY gentle and loving with other animals

Gem-

people-she bit through my finger by accident a few months ago. she has given a lot of people split lips, black eyes and bloody noses however lol not from her teeth though, she has a tendency to skull crack people in the face when she gets excited...

dogs-no

other animals: no

Happy-

people-no, but she used to be fear aggressive, ad would lunge snarl and snap at people(she's fine now)

dogs-she had broken skin, again used to be fear aggressive, and she has gotten dogs that came to close.

other animals: no

Paisley-

people-no

dogs-no

other animals-no

Baby-

people-yes, she has broken skin, and she has badly bruised. she bites when over excited and bites if someone reaches to grab her from over top. I keep her out if such situations obviously.

dogs-yes, she was spayed before attaining her Ch. title because she got really hormonal and started badly attacking my other dogs, no a problem now that she is spayed.

other animals- yes, she caught an ate a wild bird in my yard, and she bite my rabbit..but too be fair my rabbit jumped on her head while she was sleeping...(my rabbit is fine, she was just injured)

Rusty-

people-no

dogs-yes, he ripped my mom's dogs cheek open a few years ago, but for the most part, when he starts a fight HE is the one who needs vet care... my moms dog is the only dog has has ever done ANY damage too.

other animals-no

My rescue poodle has bitten and will bite any male that comes through my front door (excluding my son and husband) once they are in he is fine. We are aware of this and make sure he's being held or locked in a room before we let anyone in.

He came from a home where the children were being badly abused by their father so we don't know what might have happened to him.

The poll is fairly useless .. as multiples cannot be chosen - and only one incident , the most serious, can be logged .

Yes, given that most of us have multiple dogs, choosing the worst incident amongst multiple dogs is going to skew the results towards the bitey end of the spectrum quite a lot. Even with that distortion, the results show most people haven't had a break the skin, or worse, injury to dogs or people.

Edited by Diva

Never been bitten by any of my dogs.

dogs never bitten or killed another animal.

dogs however have given warning snaps to other dogs (mainley humping or puppy harassment)

Saying the my old rottie killed a rabbit by sitting on it and squashing the poor creature does that count ?

1. Hard enough to bruise

2. Hard enough to break the skin

3. Never bitten, doesn't seem to have prey drive for small animals, although I don't test that assumption.

This is a dog with reactivity issues, so he's muzzled with anyone but the family.

Yes - Bruising and a scratch. Someone ignoring my warning to not put their arm through the fence until I got the dog.

Yes - Caused by the other dog but my dog didn't back down. Just a few scratches but lots of noise.

Yes - RIP chickens, turkey, rabbits, ducks pigeons and many many lizards.

Digby:

Bitten zero humans, Zero dogs. Yes has bitten mice. He does have prey drive for cats however, but hasn't ever got close enough to one.

Delta:

Bitten zero humans.

Has Bitten other dogs when attacked, not hard enough to break skin.

Catches mice and birds. She more prey drive than you can poke a stick at. Catches birds regularly, but tends to put them in her mouth and let them out again, and then catch them again, and let them out again. She would love to chase just about anything, but I'm not sure what she'd do if she caught other things. The thing she would most love to chase are anything large (horses for example) as well as cats.