• Never bitten
  3. 3. Have they bitten another animal?

• Snap, no bruise
    • Hard enough to bruise
    • Hard enough to break the skin
    • Hard enough to requre stitches
    • Fatal attack
    • Never bitten

The results have surprised me, to be honest. I expected fewer incidents because of the education level of those on the forum.

Probably the fact that a lot of people on here have owned/fostered many more dogs in their life than the average person is contributing to that. Spend enough time with dogs and you'll see all manner of crazy behaviours!

---

I answered no, no and fatal because we've had 3 bitches so far who've caught mice for us. Who needs cats ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted 'never bitten' for the first two questions since my dogs have never bitten a person or a dog. But I voted "fatally attacked" for the last since once a blue tongue got startled and jumped up on my dogs, who in return got completely spooked and picked up the blue tongue and shook it, causing fatal internal injuries.... and the vet we took the blue tongue to had to put it down.

The other thing is you asked if people had EVER had a dog that had done this, this, this etc. I am quite sure most people have become better educated as they have gone on, I certainly have. So whilst they may have owned a dog that has, for example, bitten someone, it may have been their first dog. A couple of dogs down the track that senario may well never happen.

Yes 100% accurate for me.

Over the course of my 44 years I've owned and fostered/cared for hundreds of dogs so have obviously experienced lots of different things.

If we were to talk ONLY about my Fauves, my answers would have been very different.

I removed my poll answers... for the reason that my history with dogs is 50 years worth .. and we have had LOTS of dogs pass thru ... most of them working . Some house dogs have been chosen as they would nip/bite when asked . This is no longer acceptable - but it used to come in handy! People had more awareness and respect for a dog's capabilities back in the 'old days' .. and it was , in this part of the world, anyhow , pretty much expected that a dog growling at the gate, or on the back of a ute would most likely bite - that dogs meeting up would scuffle - so extra care was taken , and people were careful.

My GSD Rogue bit my fiancé hard enough to leave a scar.

The reason was that off leash dog who was a lot smaller than her had charged up to her while she was on lead. She desperately wanted to kill it and My fiancé had to haul her up off the ground to stop her getting the small dog. In the process she bit him on the arm.

Oh and bush turkeys are delicious. So are rats. Both have met their demise in my backyard. Yuckkk

Edited by lovemesideways

I'm a proud mother today. My sbt girl Stussy killed her first mouse last night! Six years worth of trying and her dream has finally come true! I'm pretty sure she ate it so no kisses for her today. I'd like you all to ignore the fact that the only reason this achievement came about is because the stupid mouse crawled into a no kill trap stored under the laundry sink (not even baited/set!), she woke me to tell me and I had to pull it out by it's tail so she could grab it. Usually she scratches the cover open and it hops out and runs off.

Are we counting birds and lizards? :o

I did :laugh: we've only lost a bird in this house.

I did too. A rat and some birds.

Argh. The skinks and sparrows around here are often toast, much to my displeasure. I will mark them both as killers...

• 1 month later...

My previous dogs never bit another person but were hell on Indian Mynahs.

Jonah who is fear agressive has snapped at people who ignored the growls and drawing away when I first got him and he snapped at me at 3am one morning when I found him sleeping on the couch,but he is doing a lot better now.

He has gone for other off lead dogs who have come running up when he is on lead but not connected yet and I am now at pains to keep off lead dogs away.

He does chase birds etc and may kill something if he catches it but it hasnt happened yet.

I haven't done the poll cos not sure how to answer last one. My GSD has never bitten as such but he does kill rabbits (vermin numbers here)

He used to bring them alive to my husband - bit like retrieving I guess. After watching my husband quickly (and humanely) kill them, he decided to cut out the middle man. He usually catches them round the middle, pauses till they are still and quickly moves to their head, kills them instantly with no marks or blood and walks away. I find his "bite inhibition" absolutely amazing.

[NOTE: We actively discourage our dog to chase and catch rabbits.]

Does anyone else have similar?

I haven't done the poll cos not sure how to answer last one. My GSD has never bitten as such but he does kill rabbits (vermin numbers here)

He used to bring them alive to my husband - bit like retrieving I guess. After watching my husband quickly (and humanely) kill them, he decided to cut out the middle man. He usually catches them round the middle, pauses till they are still and quickly moves to their head, kills them instantly with no marks or blood and walks away. I find his "bite inhibition" absolutely amazing.

[NOTE: We actively discourage our dog to chase and catch rabbits.]

Does anyone else have similar?

I think a lot of farmers and the like would be happy to have him come visit! Haha.

Rosie went off after a rabbit the other day and to my great shock she called off him when asked. He definitely would have been dinner had she not…

Current dog has never bitten a human. She has drawn blood by scratching them when jumping up because someone was getting treats out and she got way too excited. That person had very thin skin. I carry bandaids now and for some people, I put her on lead when I see them because I know they will get treats out even if she's jumping at them. Ie they inadvertently reward that behaviour.

She has bitten a dog hard enough to draw blood, the dog was attacking her at the time, she was on lead and the other dog (a whippet x) was not.

She hasn't bitten another animal - tho some crickets didn't do very well when she decided to carry them around in her mouth - she didn't squash them tho. She has had the opportunity to kill mice, rats, blue tongues, birds inc guinea fowl, cats but has not. She just barks at them. Does enjoy chasing them but doesn't catch them.