Puppy Help Please!

TrevX

Spent the day cleaning the house (again-as we lost a pup a few months ago to parvo as well) I couldn't have it happen again.

Guess will learn next time to make sure pups have all vacc records! I am an honest person & to be honest it wouldn't have bothered me if puppy was vacc when I bought her aslong as I knew ahead so I could get her her shots etc.

but oh well, some people aren't as honest or care about their animals as much as some. :(

sorry but seeing as how you have had parvo twice now at your home you need to make sure any dog coming to live with you has been vaccinated and vaccinated well and truly at least 10 days before bringing them home. And if friends want to visit with their dogs you should be warning them about the risk to their dogs and advise them to leave them at home.

If you had a dog with parvo in your house/yard only a few months ago, the chances of the new little one being reinfected when she comes home from the vet are going to be high...

Parvo is one of those insidious diseases that can hang around a VERY long time. Best recommendation is to wait at least 12 months before bringing a pup to your place.

I had a litter of rescue pups in June this year who all had parvo - and I'm not allowed to have any pups on my property now for at least 12 months... 18 months would probably be the safest bet IMHO.

Fingers crossed your little girl doesn't get reinfected when you get her back from the vet....

T.

You should probably do some research on parvovirus and what you need to do.

It can live in the ground for a very long time and infect new dogs coming in..

A vaccination will not stop a dog getting sick, it simply makes them less sick and the duration less if they have been vaccinated and the vaccination given time to work..

My boy is fully vaccinated and he still caught kennel cough, but it wasn't a bad case and didn't last long.

Puppies go downhill very quickly when they are not feeling well. Being so little, they dehydrate very fast if they have a temperature and don't have the correct fluids..

I hope your pup makes it but in the sad event that she doesn't, please don't get another pup until you are sure your home and yard are clear of parvovirus.

I am still trying to work out how you can post, then go to the vet and get a diagnosis of parvo and be back posting again all within the same hour. One would think from the first post the vet appointment had not yet been made. Odd.

I am still trying to work out how you can post, then go to the vet and get a diagnosis of parvo and be back posting again all within the same hour. One would think from the first post the vet appointment had not yet been made. Odd.

Posting seems to be via iphone, so can post from anywhere....just saying

So in the time the op has been here he is moving the America with his boxer girl friend and bullarab simply to own a dogo. He/she then gets a new puppy and takes it to their parvo infected house where the puppy quickly contracts parvo. We then find out that the OP owns multiple dogs but only plans to take the bullarab to America. I'm wondering what is going to happen to the other dogs in this scenario? It just rings not true to me.

Not to mention that OP has already had another puppy die from parvo only a few months ago. Surely he would have been given all the information regarding bringing another puppy into the home or would have read up on the disease!

The thing to understand is that even if a pup has had its first vaccination, due to the possible effects of maternally derived antibodies, full cover may not be given until the pup has had the FULL series of puppy vaccinations (first vaccination from 6-8 weeks of age, second at 10-12 weeks and also it is generally recommended that a pup get its last vaccination in the series after 16 weeks of age). So if your pup had only had one vaccination it was likely far from covered. Given you have also had parvo there not long ago, and parvo can live in the ground for a long long time (and can be resistant to all but the strongest veterinary grade cleaners), then the fact that your pup got parvo is unfortunately a bit of a no-brainer.

I would strongly suggest researching the effects of Parvo and the role of vaccinations. You may also want to refrain from bringing any more puppies into your house (at a minimum until after a FULL series of vaccinations - and even then it can be risky). Also remember not to go visiting other pups for a while as you can carry it on your shoes and clothing etc. This is very worth reading: http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/WSAVA_OwnerGuidelines_September2010.pdf