Prescription Medication Online

Just wanted to ask if anyone has bought prescription medication online for their dog. My dog's hot spot and other allergy items are pretty much under control. Occasional outbreaks causes us both much grief. Last time, the vet put us onto an anti-itch spray made by Virbac called Cortavance which really helped but it was over $80!!!

While searching for prices for Advantix last night, I came across an Australian online shop that sells the same stuff for $42.51 but I obviously have to provide a script from the vet. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the website's name- but has anyone purchased medication online? Did you have any problem getting the vet to write out a script?

Kind regards,

truehorseaddict

Edited by truehorseaddict

I'm not a vet, but the spray seems to be similar to what someone with eczema/ dermatitis uses for flare-ups?

Like a steroid cream (in spray form)?

Could you ask the vet if a steroid cream/ ointment from the chemist might have a similar effect?

Lower dose steroid creams/ ointments) don't need a prescription. Over-the-counter @ chemist.

Also, have you tried antihistamines for your dog's allergies?

Apparently the human type (e.g. Claratyne etc.) are OK for dogs, but you must ADJUST DOSE for dog's weight.

Have a look for threads on dog allergies.

From memory, some dogs respond better to some antihistamines than others and can be some trial and error involved.

Good luck.

This whole " script" thing is something that I have had to deal with as well in as much as the Vet I have been going to in our home town refuses to give me a script which enables me to save at least $70 every 2 months on Stella's current meds compared to the Vet I see at our holiday destination that we visit at least twice a year that has no issues with giving me a script which allows me to save $$$$ because I can shop online. Errrrr.....

Thank you for all the replies, it's great to get advice from all of you.

I put my girl on Zyrtec when I see her show her usual signs and the Cortavance spray helps to relieve the ichyness. I also use Advantix, and Capstar if needed, and an essential oil mix on her coat to keep any fleas looking her way at bay. Most of the time, this is quite a good routine. I so hate to see her suffer.

Thanks again for your input!!

Kind regards,

truehorseaddict

I'm not a vet, but the spray seems to be similar to what someone with eczema/ dermatitis uses for flare-ups?

Like a steroid cream (in spray form)?

Could you ask the vet if a steroid cream/ ointment from the chemist might have a similar effect?

Lower dose steroid creams/ ointments) don't need a prescription. Over-the-counter @ chemist.

Also, have you tried antihistamines for your dog's allergies?

Apparently the human type (e.g. Claratyne etc.) are OK for dogs, but you must ADJUST DOSE for dog's weight.

Have a look for threads on dog allergies.

From memory, some dogs respond better to some antihistamines than others and can be some trial and error involved.

Good luck.

Cortavance is much safer to use over a long term basis than the traditional creams, it has a different mode of activity.

A lot of clinics won't do it as there are issues with drugs being seized by customs or being expired or not actually what they are meant to be but again it can depend on what drug it is. The clinic I'm at currently doesn't write scripts for websites as observed a couple of patients recently given drugs that weren't effective (ie. expired or possibly not even correct drug). They do often send scrips to pharmacies.

A good thing to check is if your clinic charges a script fee (all I've worked at do).

I am surprised any vet will give out prescriptions for medications they sell at considerable mark-up. Mine certainly would not - they charge double and sometimes triple the price available on-line or from the chemist.

It is not always about markup. Medications at the pharmacy are often heavily subsidised by the PBS. Medications from the vet aren't .

It's not unknown for vets to buy medication from the pharmacy. I was waiting for a script when the local vet came and placed a rather large order with the pharmacist for an often prescribed pain relief drug. I happen to know from personal experience that this vet charges $5 for each tablet when this drug is dispensed. A very hefty markup indeed.

Edited because I typed in scribble.

Edited by cavNrott

Human medications from pharmacies are subsidised as well remember so the price is a lot lower. Take away the subsidy and you would fall over if you knew how much some common medications actually cost.

Online is cheaper because of lack of overheads like a store front, extra customer service staff etc.

I don't mind paying a reasonable mark up to support the vet business - same as I buy the branded milk and not the supermarket brand to support dairy farmers (apparently most people don't agree and go for the cheapest).

I do baulk a bit at paying double and triple at the vets for non prescription items I can buy at the pet supply shop more reasonably though.

Thank you for the continual interest and views.

The website I was thinking about buying from is based in Australia and therefore should not have problems with customs. But I will certainly check with them about expiry date.

Rather in shock over the vet buying medication and turning it around for a quick mark-up. Obviously I live a sheltered life and shock easily. lol

Am I allowed to post the name of the Australian website that I was thinking about buying from under the forum rules? Just thought other people might be interested...

The website I was thinking about buying from is based in Australia and therefore should not have problems with customs. But I will certainly check with them about expiry date.

Rather in shock over the vet buying medication and turning it around for a quick mark-up. Obviously I live a sheltered life and shock easily. lol

Am I allowed to post the name of the Australian website that I was thinking about buying from under the forum rules? Just thought other people might be interested...

Why don't you read the rules to check? You ticked to say you'd read them when you signed up here :)

Why don't you read the rules to check? You ticked to say you'd read them when you signed up here :)

geez, saucer of milk, minimax? and the smilie you used didn't lessen the impact!

why not just help them out instead?

truehorseaddict, registered members on this forum often post about where they buy their stuff and identify the websites from which they made their purchases, even going so far to say that they had a better buying experience with X company than they did with Y company.

if you have a good experience with any particular company related to this forum's vast topics, then feel free to let the rest of us know also :)

Yes, please post the online store as I would be interested.

My vet happily writes a script for me, one of mine is on 'Mobic" and its $30 at the vets, $12.50 at my chemist.

I did find an overseas online chemist last year who was selling Optimmume for about a quarter of the price I pay for it, vet wrote a script for me too, only when it ariived it was like water and turned out to be another brand and did nothing for her, when I read the smallprint in the add it said they used similar products to the real thing, didn't stop them using pics of the original thou in the listing.