Puppy Buyers

Jed

Guest Clover

My brother and sil are currently raising a small x breed baby (14 weeks at the moment, got him at 8 weeks). And have had no problems with him. He is a happy well adjusted little dog. And both work full time at the same times.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think that the moral of the story is "be careful before you conclude that a person's socio-economic circumstances automatically make them a bad (or good) dog owner"

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Christina have to agree 100%. :( That's why there are hardly any breeders on this site any more.

Haredown Whippets, if you are referring to my posts can you show me please, where I made any reference to socio economic circumstances? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

In all fairness though that's an 8 month old dog who has never been taught to be alone suddenly stuck in a backyard all day. This isn't an issue caused by the owner but one caused by the breeder not giving that dog the opportunity to learn that apart is OK sometimes.

In all fairness though that's an 8 month old dog who has never been taught to be alone suddenly stuck in a backyard all day. This isn't an issue caused by the owner but one caused by the breeder not giving that dog the opportunity to learn that apart is OK sometimes.

Oh for goodness sake! Do you seriously think the breeder caused the dog to have separation anxiety, and that it would not exist had the breeder removed the dog's companions sometimes?

No one even knows if the dog in that thread actually HAS separation anxiety. True separation anxiety is not common. If a dog has never been on its own or been taught how to self settle it wouldn't be uncommon for it to howl or take time to adjust to being on it's own.

Oh for goodness sake! Do you seriously think the breeder caused the dog to have separation anxiety, and that it would not exist had the breeder removed the dog's companions sometimes?

I think most dogs need to be taught to self settle and learn how to relax on their own. If a dog has never been allowed to learn how to self settle or given opportunity to adjust to being on it's own, and has always been with human or canine company how can you expect it to immediately be ok on it's own?

Given that you don't know the dog, its current owner or its breeder, that's a whole bunch of assumptions you just made.

The dog has not been "suddenly stuck in the back yard" for a start.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I still can't stop laughing about the soup Nazi meme...

No dogs for anyone!

Arguing a whole other set of issues here. And for what its worth florise, no one said the breeder caused squat, but a massive change in routine and circumstance occurred and it'd it would take a lot of adjusting. That's a fact, that's certainly what I garner from that thread. No one should be blaming owner nor breeder. That's all the fact I could glean. And good on the poster for asking for help. Sheesh.

I agree with Huski 100%

ALL dogs need to be educated to stay on their own and enjoy their own company and the sooner the better.

Some breeds of dog and some individuals take longer than others but I believe that we often do not give enough thought to this aspect of their eduation.

I agree with Huski 100%

ALL dogs need to be educated to stay on their own and enjoy their own company and the sooner the better.

Some breeds of dog and some individuals take longer than others but I believe that we often do not give enough thought to this aspect of their eduation.

Absolutely

It is naïve to think that a dog can go through it's whole life with someone at home 24/7 and it will never need to be without human or dog companionship. Owners are doing their animals a huge disservice if they cannot cope alone. Companions die, owner circumstances can change in an instant, dogs need to be flexible and adaptable.

Absolutely

It is naïve to think that a dog can go through it's whole life with someone at home 24/7 and it will never need to be without human or dog companionship. Owners are doing their animals a huge disservice if they cannot cope alone. Companions die, owner circumstances can change in an instant, dogs need to be flexible and adaptable.

That is the most sensible thing I have read in a long time. My first dog was so bonded to me he starved himself near to death when I left him for a few weeks to go on an overseas holiday. I have felt a responsibilty to teach all the dogs that followed that they don' t need me to survive.

Absolutely

That is the most sensible thing I have read in a long time. My first dog was so bonded to me he starved himself near to death when I left him for a few weeks to go on an overseas holiday. I have felt a responsibilty to teach all the dogs that followed that they don' t need me to survive.

Yep and whilst they may be happier with me around and enjoy my company, if I died tomorrow or my circumstances were such that I could no longer keep them, I know that they could all successfully rehome to working families if need be.