Raw Meaty Bones...yes Or No?

Pinchy

I have had my Border Collie pup for almost a week. He is going so well and we just love him!

He is currently eating Royal Canin (that's what the breeder had him on). I bought some chicken frames and cut one into a piece about the size of my palm and held it for him so he didn't inhale it. He loved it.

I was under the impression that this was pretty much a must for dogs teeth and gums.

When we went for our vet check, our vet suggested that we avoid the bones because they see just too many complications from bone fragments in dogs. She recommended a dental kong so I got one but he has absolutely no interest what so ever:( he just licks it and leaves it.

I just wanted asome opinions on whether or not I should give him the bones? Hoe many people here are in favour? Do the risks outweigh the benefits?

I was really looking forward to giving him bones so maybe it's just my preconceived idea that they are the best thing for him?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh I'm so over vets and their anti raw !

Do you have a holistic vet in your area ? If you do I would check them out :-)

Raw meaty bones are fabulous for teeth cleaning, chicken wings , necks , roo tails , brisket bones :-)

I break the chicken wing to make it long and would hold it for my pup , chicken necks I used to freeze as it takes longer to eat and good for teething .

Never leave them alone with bones in case something happens .

It's normal for them to regurgitate so don't be scared if they do this ..

Read up on raw , join a raw feeding group :-)

Have fun :-)

Thanks mumof4girls:)

A holistic vet I'm not sure, I would have to investigate.

I have read a bit about the raw diet, but I'm not confident I could get it right without some more research. I'll have a look for some groups though:)

I am really keen to be giving him the bones, and I don't want to dump the vet, I'm a bit loyal like that. But I love that I can come here and get a variety of opinions and make my choices????

Ugh I'm so over vets and their anti raw !

Exactly my thoughts too (yes I was actually thinking of typing 'Ugh!' before I saw your reply LOL!)

Fortunately there are many vets that are pro-raw too (and many who will not have an issue with it despite their own personal views on diet).

Can you give a general location so someone can give you an alternative?

If you happen to be in the Windsor/Richmond region, try the Bligh Park Pet Health Centre which is the clinic of Dr Tom Lonsdale (of www.rawmeatybones.com )

FWIW I have given raw meaty bones to my dogs for around 20 years now and never had an issue.

My pugs get chicken frames, supervised, each night for dinner.

You will always find someone to tell you a horror story about a dog choking on a bone, just like you'll find someone to tell you a horror story about anything. But with some common sense you can go a hundred lifetimes and not have an issue with bones.

My dogs have lamb flaps every night as part of their dinner. the only time anything has ever gone wrong was when my basset got a piece of bone that must have been just the right length somehow stuck across the roof of her mouth, I flicked it out with my finger and it was all good. Just use good common sense and you'll be fine, turkey necks are great as an option to help clean teeth :)

You don't have to feed exclusively raw for your dogs to enjoy meaty bones. So long as you supervise them (mainly / especially while they're young), make sure bones are appropriate size and NOT cooked they're fine and an important tool for boredom busting, dental health, diet and general happiness.

My vet is fine with me feeding raw. A problem has arisen with one of my dogs having raw meaty bones. The bones are causing constipation and he needed an anaesthetic to flush him out so no more meaty bones.

I've fed my dogs raw for the last 10 years and I now feed them Big Dog BARF.

Not being able to feed bones has resulted in teeth problems with my dogs. They had beautiful clean, white teeth and now after all this time my almost 10yo boy had to have a dental scale and clean and needed two teeth extracted. The 8 1/2yo girl is ok so far. They are having whimzees dental treats now insead of bones.

Edited by cavNrott

I've been giving Miah raw chicken frames since she was quite young, but suitable chew sizes to her age throughout that time.. always supervised. She's not had any issues *touch wood*

Ive tried other raw bones, but haven't felt they were safe for her,

I don't give our old Cavalier any raw bones now due to her age and not being able to chew properly anymore.

When we took Miah for her first vet visit to our vets, the vet asked what we were going feed her. He of course tried to promote their balanced commercial food, but I said I wasn't interested as were going feed her a raw diet. He didn't persist but said well then becareful she doesn't get high calcium levels.

I give her chicken frames 2 to 3 nights a week mostly on it own or with a small bowl of raw veges after.

Ps Miah does get a few other options every so often now that aren't raw, but mostly its a raw diet she gets fed :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

We fed Joey and Renae raw bones throughout their lives but they still had teeth problems. Some breeds of dogs because of their mouth structure apparently can get teeth problems regardless (according to the canine dentist that we spoke too who worked on their teeth). We are hoping Miah's teeth might be different as shes got a longer snout than Joey and Renae laugh.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

My BC's got some lamb ribs last night, they haven't had them before but they loved them! They also get chicken frames whenever I get a chance to go past the meat supplier. I'll also pick up the dog bone packs at the supermarket sometimes. They love them and we've never had a problem with bones!! As puppies they got chicken necks, wings and sometimes drumsticks.

My 2 guys get a meaty bone or a chicken carcass daily. Touch wood, we have never had a problem. I was told by their breeder that as long as you don't feed weight baring bones ie leg/shank bones & they are supervised whilst eating that its fine. My Vets always commented on how wonderfully healthy their teeth are.

I've got dogs here that if I combined their ages they're around 60 years worth. I've fed them all meaty bones all their lives and all I have to show for it is immaculate teeth. Admittedly, I dont leave them unsupervised with bones. Occasionally one might get a bone stuck on her tooth and I have to get it off for them. I did find early on feeding them cut marrow bones didn't suit, because Penny used to scrape the cut surface and wore her little front teeth down, and once Feather became badly constipated, but that was because I didn't feed her a bone with enough meat on it, it was a spine that was mostly bone.

What I mostly give now are lamb briskets (I think that's what they are) it's the ribs and cartliage, chicken frames and turkey necks.

I've stopped feeding dry which they used to have for breakky, now they have chicken frames instead. I can feed 6 dogs breakky for $1

Thank you guys for all of your replies.

Bones will be back on the menu from now on. I think I just needed some positive thoughts that I was doing the right thing.

I'll start with the chicken frames and some flaps when I can find some locally.

Would I do a meaty bone for one meal and then kibble the rest at the moment? I'll need to have a look at the right portion size for his weight and growth.