Dog Wont Eat

chocchook

Hi I was after some advice. I have a 2yr old Standard Poodle he does not eat very often. He wont eat fresh meat or bones. At the moment i can get him to eat the meatloaf foods dog rolls from the supermarket. He will only eat one flavour thought. The problem is he will only eat every 4-5 days. I give him supercoat active biscuits he may eat a few of these every night but not much. He is really skinny. I have tried cooking veg rice and meat for him he will eat it for a day or two but thats it. If I try to give him bones or fresh meat sometimes he will eat this but then he vomits. The vet says he is just fussy but that does not help to get him to eat more. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get him to eat. I have struggled with his eating from a puppy

Thanks Sharon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...

for a week - note everything he eats - everything. treats, human food , grass, meals .... everything. You may then see some sort of pattern .....

What's his weight like?

When he eats meat/bones & then vomits- what sort of meat is it?

Does he have anything else chronic? Skin/breath/coat.. ?

Did he/does he have good teeth ?

When he toilets , does it change depending on what he eats ? Do you see any big differences in quantity/texture?

Personally i would find a new vet .

Does the dog have bad tonsils??

What did the breeder say/suggest.

The vomiting part isn't what i would consider normal

Not eating bones wouldn't be an issue for me many don't & we don't feed them ,

Is he active??

Is he feed the same time every day ,does he eat more at a set time .

Vomiting after being fed raw meat is common. I have a dog who can only eat meat cooked.

He sounds like your vet says, a fussy dog, if he has been like this since he was a pup. If a medical condition has been ruled out then you'll have to win him over with patience and perhaps variety.

Have your tried chicken? I've not met many dogs that will not eat a fresh, warm BBQ'd chook. I've also used cat food to tempt dogs that have been sick. They seem to like the strong fishy smells.

My boy went off his food when he was younger. A change of food helped, but he'd go off that too. Some people (Vets inclusive) said "fussy" but I swam against the tide on that notion and trusted my dog. He too was skinny and would appear hungry, but then baulk at food.

The reason why (as I discovered) was because he is sensitive to meat proteins and this caused him abdominal pain. So he would be hungry, but he knew what he was in for if he ate. I do not believe that a dog will vomit food because they're fussy and I do not believe a thin dog who is likely to be hungry would refuse food for any length of time without a good reason. Going on what you have written, I tend to believe and trust your dog is rejecting food for an honest and good reason.

I spent months …. years, in fact ... of searching, trialling, consulting with Vets. The more natural the food source was, the better he could manage and for longer periods, but even then he would eventually find he couldn't eat it. Seven to ten months at a stretch was the longest period for any one diet/meat protein source. Because he would pair the pain with the food, he would very rarely return to eating it, even after a long break. He will now eat chicken which I give to him sparingly (and only organic chicken), but he won't look at anything beef, lamb or rabbit. And yes …. I tried cooking the meats too. That only served to 'fool' his nose, but his body wouldn't be fooled.

Feeling I was at the end of the road and not being sure if I had a dog whose only eventuality would be that he would starve to death, I came across Augustine Approved product (SuperBoost) and its recommended whole raw diet (comprises of meat plus select veggies in select quantities).

My boy's been on that for 2 years or so now (the longest running successful period so far). *Touch Wood*. He's come a long way from where he was in terms of health and although things are not 100% perfect in terms of "cure" (not sure if there is one), his system is a lot stronger and more stable than it ever has been. His coat and eyes shine; he's energetic; and does not have the chronic abdominal discomfort or pain as he had before. In fact, although I remain very aware of the symptoms of his sensitivity, they are a lot milder these days and I've seen dogs with no apparent health issues not looking as good as my boy does.

Edited by Erny

My dog isn't very fussy.

But the fussy dogs I've met will all eat dried roo.

Most of them will eat roast chicken or cooked chicken.

When my dog has a tummy upset - I cook a cup of rice with a chicken thigh fillet chopped up in with it.

Most dogs like things that are a little bit salty - like we put salt on our food but not seawater salty.

My dog will eat anything wrapped in a sardine. I like the brunswick sardines in olive oil because they come from Canada and I hope the water there is not as polluted as the water in south east asia and off the African coast.

She also likes yogurt. Since yogurt is "processed milk" - most of the stuff that causes tummy upsets - has been processed into something more people (and dogs) can tolerate.

some people make "satin bliss balls" out of mince meat (cooked or raw - I think I'd cook it), mixed with egg and a few other things. Most dogs will eat that.

My dog - she usually turns up her nose at things like raw meat, bones - because she's not given those often. But if she sees another dog wolfing it all down - she will reconsider and try the food with more enthusiasm. So it might work if the bowl you offer your dog and he refuses - is promptly scoffed down by another dog in front of him. Do this with all dogs on lead so you have some control if he suddenly changes his mind. If he does change his mind - you can give him a bowl of his own. Start with small serves - not the whole dinner at once.

PS if you can't borrow the services of a dog for this... sometimes it works if you are the other dog. Ie You eat some choice food, then you offer a few bits of roast chicken or cheese or cooked meatball (no onion) and if he turns his nose up at it - you eat it with lip smacking enthusiasm...

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

The reason why (as I discovered) was because he is sensitive to meat proteins and this caused him abdominal pain. So he would be hungry, but he knew what he was in for if he ate. I do not believe that a dog will vomit food because they're fussy and I do not believe a thin dog who is likely to be hungry would refuse food for any length of time without a good reason. Going on what you have written, I tend to believe and trust your dog is rejecting food for an honest and good reason.

:thumbsup:

Guest hankodie

Has he had a blood test to rule out liver problems?

yes, this. I would strongly advise you to go to the vet and get them to run a blood test in case anything is amiss. Sounds like it could be symptoms of something like a liver shunt, though it might be a million other things as well. That's just from my experience. Bloods would be the first place I would start to rule out anything sinister.

Edited by hankodie

Has he had a blood test to rule out liver problems?

yes, this. I would strongly advise you to go to the vet and get them to run a blood test in case anything is amiss. Sounds like it could be symptoms of something like a liver shunt, though it might be a million other things as well. That's just from my experience. Bloods would be the first place I would start to rule out anything sinister.

Erny - how do you get wormers into him?

Pretend they are a treat, works best if it's given during a training session as they won't even notice the random odd one being thrown in isn't actually a treat.

Or else, treat, treat, tablet, treat.

Assuming there is not a medical problem with him I would try Satin Balls

This is the recipe I was given. This quantity made 11x115g patties.

Satin Balls -

750g. cheap hamburger meat (for high fat %)

5 weet bix

1.5 cups of uncooked oatmeal

6 tablespoons wheat germ,

1 tbs unflavoured gelatine

2 tbs vegetable oil

1 raw egg - shell as well

2 tbs unsulphured molasses

pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients and divide into individual serving sized patties. May be frozen.

The above quantity is 1/10 of the full recipe and is worth making this to see if your boy will eat it before making a huge quantity.

The other thing that I have never had refused is canned mackerel.

Edited by Airedaler

As well as a health check and review of the diet and food offered etc, I am wondering if perhaps if he is an entire male and has grown up in a breeders environment with bitches and other dogs, that may be playing a role in his lack of appetite. Some dogs take it to the extreme when they have "other things" on their minds! Also if he lives with other dogs in general, how does he fit into the pack structure? These things may have a role in his behavior with food.

Is your dog underweight? If he is then I would want testing to rule out any health problems eg Addisons since it is a standard poodle. If your vet has not suggested or done testing then I would change vets - I would not be happy with a "diagnosis" of fussy.

Has your breeder made any suggestions?

If there are no known health problems then does your dog get regular exercise and mental and environmental stimulation? I have found that dogs who have a "healthy" lifestyle eat and sleep better - just a suggestion ....

Edited by frufru