Obsessed With Chooks

sandgrubber

I think when we bring animals in to our life we are responsible for providing what they need to live an enriched life even if that doesn't suit what's easy for us. Even if your poultry might feed you at times all the more reason to give them a happy life while you can.

There should be no reason the chooks can't have time outside their small cage while the dogs are inside or outside tied up, surely? If you do it half an hour before dusk they'll even take themselves to bed. The dogs will survive!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got my first 3 bantam girls, I had fenced off the back garden which has lots of trees, dirt, weeds etc from the rest of the yard and had intended to never let my dogs mingle with them.

Same here they had 300 square metres with trees & a hen house 3 foot off the ground with a ladder up to it. Whole thing was a disaster. The chickens were happy, had unclipped wings so they could fly in case of need & the 2 gold spangled hamburgs slept in a tree.

Got them at point of lay, expensive, & I could never get near them.

The 2 Isa Browns I got that a man used to get from the chicken farm when they got rid of them both died after about 8 months, old age I think. Got 2 more. They were so friendly. One got a cancer/growth on its eye & another got fly blown. Despite my constant treatment it didn't last long, obviously I didn't catch it quickly enough or something. Cried my eyes out when they died, felt a hopeless owner so caught the Hamburgs & gave them to friends. Sometimes its easier to go to the shop & buy free range. Was for me.

In all honesty it wouldn't give me much joy as an owner to see them in the small coup. They are so happy wandering & digging even though the mess they make is unbelievable.

When I got my first 3 bantam girls, I had fenced off the back garden which has lots of trees, dirt, weeds etc from the rest of the yard and had intended to never let my dogs mingle with them.

Same here they had 300 square metres with trees & a hen house 3 foot off the ground with a ladder up to it. Whole thing was a disaster. The chickens were happy, had unclipped wings so they could fly in case of need & the 2 gold spangled hamburgs slept in a tree.

Got them at point of lay, expensive, & I could never get near them.

The 2 Isa Browns I got that a man used to get from the chicken farm when they got rid of them both died after about 8 months, old age I think. Got 2 more. They were so friendly. One got a cancer/growth on its eye & another got fly blown. Despite my constant treatment it didn't last long, obviously I didn't catch it quickly enough or something. Cried my eyes out when they died, felt a hopeless owner so caught the Hamburgs & gave them to friends. Sometimes its easier to go to the shop & buy free range. Was for me.

In all honesty it wouldn't give me much joy as an owner to see them in the small coup. They are so happy wandering & digging even though the mess they make is unbelievable.

Yep, they do make a mess, and when I had 5 in my yard even that wasn't enough room for them really. They decimated my native frog and lizard population. Now I only have one chook who free ranges and she still finds the yard isn't enough for her, even though I supplement her diet with bought chook food as well. She still gets out somehow, I've never seen where she escapes from but sometimes disappears for the day and I worry a fox will get her, or a neighbour just keep her, but so far she returns home, probably after stashing her egg in someone else's garden. :laugh:

Different chook breeds have very different needs and temperaments. I have an Australorp, 2 Orpingtons and 3 Pekin bantams (1 being a rooster) they are all super friendly even the rooster. They free range all day in the entire backyard and mix extreemly well with the dogs, cats and rabbits. At night they get locked in a cubby house type enclosure my husband built, they have done minimal damage to my yard but do make a bit of mess on the decking on the wet days.

I picked all three breeds because they are calm and not flighty, the Pekins even enjoy a cuddle.

we have recently been given a two year old female JRT with amazing pedigree because she wouldn't leave chickens alone. She is now trying to work out how to escape to a house a few doors away that has chickens. Thankfully their yard is very secure especially as we are replacing our fences.

If anyone decided they had too many dogs and ate a few to reduce their numbers, I think all of us would be shocked. This is routine with chooks.

not the best comparison , but I see what you are trying to say .They are your larder .Fairynuff . I still believe they could have more enrichment :)

and , no , I don't eat my chooks . :o have a friend who breeds chooks & ducks to eat though...- she has enclosed a huge part of her yard in which is her little'orchard' about 7 different fruiting trees, plus vines and chookies/ducks . It all seems to work well , and she always has fresh poultry . her hatchlings are always much loved and even named! Just cannot do it myself .

You can work on it but I think some dogs are going to be chook proof and some not. Hank had a few goes at trying to "catch" the cockatiels when we first got them. Each time a stern reprimand and put outside. He slowly got used to them riding around on our shoulders and then just ignored them.

When the chooks were tiny he looked interested in them and was given pats and treats for calm looking, after that I was happy to allow everyone free range outside.

Jake is different. From day one he didn't care about ducks, he slightly cared about turkeys and was very interested in the chooks and obsessed with the cockatiels. Time and rewards for good behaviour have lessened that and our naughty cockatiel has landed on him a few times. He's done nothing but I wouldn't leave him unsupervised with the birds. He's just not a calm dog and in a bird panic situation I feel he might snap.

You can train in ignore but I think you also need to understand your dogs inherent nature.

I have two birds now. In the house I have the 19 year old cockatiel and outside the female cockatoo. ( age not determined).

Somehow, both birds yell out 'oh Momma' if any dog about the house behaves poorly. First time I heard it from the 'tiel, I nearly fell over laughing.

On the whole the birds are ignored.

My dog LOVES our chooks. HATES birds, loves the chooks.... go figure

that's such a cute photo, just hangin' with the silkies. :D

Thank you, its one of my favs! i love how the chick is kinnda leaning into him LOL

Love it but in my house the tiels the naughty one. OH believes it didn't escape it's previous home it was ushered out.

:laugh: I can just imagine.... "and dont come back!!" :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that's how we got a Lori at the clinic I eventually found a home for. :D

• 5 months later...

and just as predicted the chooks are still living in that tiny cage.

Oh you people who love to criticize and who assume others are doing the wrong thing.

The chooks are now running free in the yard. The dogs aren't bothering them. It's taken months to get the dogs to realize the chickens are 'our' chickens and not something to chase. It can be done.

Edited by sandgrubber