Breed Recommendations?

denali

I have a friend who wants to get a dog.

He is looking for a small to medium breed, that is easy to look after, good travellers, isn't too fluffy or feminine looking,

happy to exercise but also ok to be left at home while he is at work without destroying everything.

Grooming is also something he is ok with.

i know a lot of it is management and training, but breeds help too :)

so any suggestions would be great!

Edited by denali

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Italian Greyhound

they are high energy and destructive as puppies. I still crate my puppy if I have to go out and cannot take her, would not trust her as far as I can throw her, actually strike that, I bet I could throw her a long way, she's so little :laugh:

A PBGV maybe? I don't know much about them really, but all the ones I met at shows have been so happy and easy going, and they're perhaps not as feminine as a Cav.

When he says low energy, how much exercise is he willing to give?

A PBGV maybe? I don't know much about them really, but all the ones I met at shows have been so happy and easy going, and they're perhaps not as feminine as a Cav.

When he says low energy, how much exercise is he willing to give?

He lives near a dog beach, and walks there every morning.

So his canine companion would accompany him for that. And maybe extra in the evenings apparently.

ooo just realized you have a cavalier! what does your friend think about them ?

I do :)

Two of them actually!

They are beautiful dogs :)

I don't think he would own one, but he does love mine haha

Potentially too girly for him. Doesn't help that my boy is a very "pretty" dog. Most don't look as girly as him haha he should have been a girl!

I do :)

Two of them actually!

They are beautiful dogs :)

I don't think he would own one, but he does love mine haha

Potentially too girly for him. Doesn't help that my boy is a very "pretty" dog. Most don't look as girly as him haha he should have been a girl!

When I first started looking at Cavaliers many years ago (was a life long dream to own one) My husband said he wasn't keen on them as they were too much of girly dog (not that he knew anything about them at that time). He wanted a border collie..

Anyway we went to a dog show and saw many of them and he fell in love with them that day. In fact we ended up buying a young Cavalier that was being shown that day !

The One we bought 'Joey' was quite a pretty looking male Cav. We ended up being given 'Joey's Mum (Renae) a few years later by their breeder.

Now years later we have young Miah, well she has more of a tom boy look about her and acts like one ! laugh.gif In fact because she's so heavily marked (shes a Tri) she kind of looks like a mini border collie laugh.gif and acts like one too!

They do have such a versatility about them can be quite active or quite laid back as you probably have experienced ..smile.gif

Ps.. I do get tho why he might want a more blokey type dog .

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Cocker spaniel? Ours is happy enough with a few trips to the park each week although we do have a pretty large suburban backyard as well.

From what I've heard he's never been the destructive type, doesn't dig or destroy his toys, he occasionally gets a hold of my partners socks but they're still ok after a wash :p

If he's going to get a puppy then he'll probably need to put up with some destructive tendencies to begin with, what about adopting an adult?

Cockers love company as well but providing you start as you plan to continue they can be quite happy outside all day providing they have some stimulation

The Toller and Aussie terrier aren't exactly what I would call low energy breeds!

I'm following this thread with interest as overseas friends of mine are looking for a breed with similar requirements... Their previous dogs fitted perfectly but they have realised they were exception within the breed (they had a very laid back Dalmatian, amongst others)

The Toller and Aussie terrier aren't exactly what I would call low energy breeds!

I'm following this thread with interest as overseas friends of mine are looking for a breed with similar requirements... Their previous dogs fitted perfectly but they have realised they were exception within the breed (they had a very laid back Dalmatian, amongst others)

I have met a couple of lovely laid back Dalmatians and my In laws had Australian Terriers over many years and they were all very chilled out too.

A Toller would enjoy trips to the beach every day; then so would most dogs.