The Cone Of Shame

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

Thanks Perse - great advice :) I think I'll take him for a gentle walk down the street if he's feeling better tomorrow.

Also thanks HW will ask about that stuff if the licking doesn't get any better

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hankodie

Aw we put him to bed early and I turned the lights off to get him to settle but he won't stop whining even though he's next to our bed :( I'm trying not to pander to him too much but he doesn't want to put his head down and is panting quite a bit...

Guest hankodie

I just moved to the couch because OH has an early start and Hank wouldn't stop whining, plus it's cooler out here with the AC.

He still hasn't settled and keeps trying to paw the cone off... as well as try to give me lots of kisses, lots of cone to the face going on :o I think I'm just going to wait it out until he gives up and goes to sleep. It' might be a long night :o

Guest hankodie

Woo hoo! He's finally settled down :D I got him up on the end of the couch and he stopped playing up. Mind you I have to rest my foot inside the cone to comfort him, if I take it out he starts sooking.

The things we do... :o

That cone looks huge, my mastiff x didn't have a cone that big!! When I picked her up from the surgeon after having TPLO surgery she had the cone on and it only really came a few centimetres past her nose, it did look like it had been cut down though.

Thankfully she didn't really need it as she sat for about an hour (in the car) with her head hanging :o I ended up stopping and taking it off and she laid down and went to sleep.

Have you seen the Kong Cloud collars? I've heard they are really good. Might be harder to take off unsupervised if you can get one in the morning. I think Petbarn sells them.

Try and get one of these. My dogs are way more happy wearing this than the bucket which is clunky and noisy when they bang into something. When the pup chewed a hole in it (other dog wearing it) I taped it up like a bike puncture. And it's like a pillow when they sleep.

I've never needed a cone for any dog after surgery. I always ask for minimal shaving as they mainly lick at the shaved area/clipper rash, not the stitches. Something soothing on clipper rash can work wonders. I keep an eye on them and watch to see exactly where they are licking and so long as it isn't right on the stitches I leave them alone. If they start on the stitches I distract them and keep them near me always for the first couple of days. After that they never bother about the stitches at all. I cannot imagine any dog needing a cone on for 10 days with the possible exception of eye surgery.

If only he were little.

For little dogs if you just put them into a baby jumpsuit type thing they can't get to it.

Obviously have to take them for toilet breaks. But it is very effective.

Maybe you could try the same with a shirt?

I will be interested to see what Deniki does, he is being desexed next week.

Hopefully he won't need a cone or jumpsuit haha

ETA: they exist! Google medical pet shirt

Who knew :)

Edited by denali

Poor Hank :( Nixon reacted exactly the same way, and we were both too soft to leave the cone on him when it was making him so sad. I bought a cloud collar which he really likes, but he could still reach his bits if he was determined. It did make it a bit more difficult for him though. I don't think he was specifically trying to lick his wound, but like Hank he's a regular downstairs groomer normally anyway! :laugh:

The vet said to keep him away from the wound for 5 days, but it healed up so quickly and looked so good I stopped worrying after about 3, so hopefully you won't have to keep the cone on Hank for very long at all.

I hope he's feeling better this morning!!

Guest hankodie

lol snap denali. That's exactly what I had to do last night - he kept getting up and pawing the cone off so I eventually took it off but he went right back to fussing over the incision wound again.

So finally I put some old PJ pants on him in the hopes that he'd settle and he did! Finally got some sleep :o

here he is wearing the pants of shame. Obviously going to look for a more permanent solution today but he prefers it much more over wearing the cone :o

post-44927-0-66530700-1392158098_thumb.jpg

Getting restitched isn't fun and does happen so just be vigilant and I would not leave him home alone without the cone - what if he rips the stitches out while you are gone. My male dog ripped stitches out of his foot in seconds and a friends male ripped his desexing stitches out in about the same amount of time :eek:

Guest hankodie

Not only did you take his nuts but you put him in pink pants laugh.gif

He does look less upset in that photo!

LOL I know, I feel so bad but they were the only ones I could find :rofl:

That's awesome - he looks so cute! I tried putting an old pair of undies on Nix when I had to go back to work, but they were long gone by the time I got home at lunch to check on him. pyjama pants is a much better idea :)

Awwww Nix! hahaha what is it about retrievers, they seem to have the whole 'looking pathetic and dejected' act down pat. Odie was desexed plus had a liver biopsy done and she wasn't nearly as sooky as he is :laugh:

Getting restitched isn't fun and does happen so just be vigilant and I would not leave him home alone without the cone - what if he rips the stitches out while you are gone. My male dog ripped stitches out of his foot in seconds and a friends male ripped his desexing stitches out in about the same amount of time :eek:

Oh no frufru, that sucks :eek: I assume he had to get put under again? Poor thing