Rspca $1000 Adoption Fee

lil_toe

Hmmmm, I hope you don't ever fall in love with French Bulldogs if that's the case!

They're now creeping up to $3500+ plus through registered breeders - limited register either desexed or with contracts to be desexed.

There are some ridiculous prices being asked for non standard colours through non registered breeders as well. There's a couple of non-registered breeders who constantly have litters who are asking $10,000+ for blue's, merles and other colours. (From what I've seen health testing is done on 'some' of their breeding dogs).

Im on an Frenchie facebook page and the other day someone posted a link to Gumtree where someone had a three line add for their entire female Frenchie, asking $6500. She sold quite quickly :mad

Sorry to go off topic...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I adore Frenchies - wouldn't own one as I don't think I'll ever have a brachycephalic kind of dog but yeh - I couldn't justify that kind of money for a pet. and I'd bet that you're buying an entire bitch for 6500 I doubt you're planning on having her as a pet. Probably planning to use her for BYB.

anyhow, as you said - getting off topic.:)

Hmmmm, I hope you don't ever fall in love with French Bulldogs if that's the case!

They're now creeping up to $3500+ plus through registered breeders - limited register either desexed or with contracts to be desexed.

There are some ridiculous prices being asked for non standard colours through non registered breeders as well. There's a couple of non-registered breeders who constantly have litters who are asking $10,000+ for blue's, merles and other colours. (From what I've seen health testing is done on 'some' of their breeding dogs).

Im on an Frenchie facebook page and the other day someone posted a link to Gumtree where someone had a three line add for their entire female Frenchie, asking $6500. She sold quite quickly :mad

Sorry to go off topic...

I fell in love with a Frenchie the other day - had lovely, smoochy cuddles.. OMG, they are so incredibly adorable.

Sadly, out of my price range..

I have no issue with rescues selling the cuter dogs for more money to help fund the dogs that are deemed not as cute..

There are always more costs to cover, than there is money, so make a bit extra on the cute ones - go for it..

I imagine they would just drop the price if it proved to be a barrier to rehoming

I hope so :) I posted a similar comment about the shelter I support jacking their prices up a few weeks ago (can't find the link just at the moment). I Notice they seem to have put the prices back down (they went from 415 for an older dog, to 615 for cuter, younger or otherwise apparently more "valuable" dogs).

I just don't get it - I could never justify spending 1000 on a PET. It's not a question of mixed breed, rescue or any other - for me if I was forking over $1000 it would be with proven bloodlines for showing, breeding or working (or combination of above).

My pets were well over $1k. They are desexed, not shown and not working dogs. They are pets.

I wouldn't pay that for a dog of unknown history or parentage though.

Paid $1k for my pet too from a Reg. Breeder, he's not shown and is desexed etc. I'm assuming now when I want to get another it will be well over $1k. Well worth the money as mine has a brilliant temperament and health wise has been exceptional.

But no would not pay that amount for an unknown crossbred dog.

Can remember a time when crossbreds were almost giveaways as they couldn't sell them.

problem is breeders havent been watching and they have priced their puppies as if they are bargain basement in comparison to cross bred and non papered dogs sold in pet shops and some going out via rescue. Take a good look at what the prices really are - start at the big commercial breeders pumping out puppies at 1200 a throw like they are lollies. Its nothing for a first cross oodle to sell in a pet shop for 1500 plus. If they can get that we should be able to get double or triple

if the RSPCA can ask that price for a mutt bred without any forethought or care with such a bodgey description ours are worth a bloody fortune and its time we priced them accordingly.

When the selling price of pups by registered breeders takes precedence over choosing carefully vetted, responsible owners that's when ethical dog breeding has gone to hell in a hand cart.

Edited to delete errant comma.

Edited by cavNrott

I agree good breeders should be able to ask what they like, it would just suck if all purebred dogs ended up costing the same as Frenchies and the like.

I'd have to get a rescue if that was the case.

Yes - its a dilemma isn't it ? However, in everything else I do I get paid a fair amount of money for what I do in comparison to what others who do the same do. But the service I provide as well as the product when I sell a puppy is always a donated service and that is something that goes on for 15 plus years.

Isnt enough that we spend so much more on producing the product and ten providing services including advice, support, take back , and boarding options free of charge for a decade plus without also being asked to sell our product at way below the price we could get and closer to what it's worth ?

Seriously if the RSPCA think they have a product in this dog which is worth $1000 - its a bloody insult to ask a breeder who has done what's expected of them to make predictable babies not to consider massive price rises.

When the selling price of pups, by registered breeders takes precedence over choosing carefully vetted, responsible owners that's when ethical dog breeding has gone to hell in a hand cart.

i agree but I can find responsible carefully vetted owners who will pay more for my puppies if I put the price up just as I can if I give them away for free.

In fact some will say pay more greater chance of them being responsible - clearly that's part of what is going on with the RSPCA.Since when do they get dibs on being able to choose responsible owners who have more money to spend?

No doubt the people who have bought Princess will think up a cute breed name for this little cross bred dog, thus we will have yet another 'new' breed that has 'hybrid vigour" That much sought after exclusive quality that is the realm only of cross bred dogs :(

I only hope the people who bought this dog will seek training. It evidently has a few unwanted habits that may very well see it back in the shelter in due course.