Freed Dog Mauled Shar Pei To Death

Podengo

Freed dog mauled shar pei to death

9855843.jpg

DANTE THE INFERNAL: The 2-year-old red-nose pitbull savaged and killed a shar pei called Terror.

A pitbull freed from the Napier dog pound after a community fundraising campaign has mauled a dog to death within days of being liberated.

Dante, a 2-year-old red-nose pitbull, was caught by animal control officers late last month and was due to be put down on Monday, March 10.

His owner, Teressa Kati, 23, could not afford the $532.30 Napier City Council wanted for unpaid registration fees and desexing fees, so she took to Facebook to see if anyone would pay the fees and make him their own.

In a local newspaper article on March 14, she described Dante as "an absolute honey" who loved being cuddled and playing with her two kids, Fury-James, 4, and Lahtezia-Lust, 5.

Instead of offering Dante a new home, people donated money - enough for Kati to pay the fees.

Dante went to her sister's house in the Napier suburb of Maraenui and was put on a run in the back lawn, where another dog, a 7-month-old shar pei named Terror, was on a chain.

Dante got off his run on Thursday night and mauled Terror to death.

Terror's owner said his children witnessed the attack, which left the lawn covered in blood.

The man said he agreed to look after Dante because Kati already had a dog at her Housing New Zealand house and was not allowed another there.

"I was next door. By the time I got there, it was over.

"I watched my dog die and he [Dante] still wouldn't let go. He was trying to rip his head off. There was nothing I could do. I watched him have his last breath. To make it worse, my kids saw it all."

He said the children were "hysterical".

"My backyard is full of blood. My missus doesn't want to go out there. Dante shouldn't have been allowed out of the pound."

Animal control officer Dwayne McOnie said he found a "horrific, bloody scene" when called to the property shortly after 5pm. Dante was known to be aggressive, and his owner had been spoken to in the past.

He was seized on February 23 because he was not registered, had not been desexed within the required time, and was not microchipped.

Terror's body has been seized as evidence, pending a council decision on whether to prosecute Kati. Dante is back in the pound in the meantime.

Agreed RJ, I was like surely no-one would call their children that. Chained dogs, a bull breed who's owner is obviously hopeless as the dog has caused issues, not desexed or rego'd. Then a chained up Sharpei called Terror.

The epitome of this was always going to end badly!!!!!!

That poor pup, pure Dante for having a moron owner, poor children for witnessing something do horrific. Thank goodness they didn't inadvertently get in the middle of it since dad was next door and they were obviously playing outside when it happened.

That woman should not be allowed to own any dogs!!!

Devastating.. The poor pup and those poor kids that saw their dog killed (one wonders why you wouldn't shove the kids inside, so they don't see any more than they had too but I guess that is easy to say in hindsight)..

I had to read the kids names twice - I thought it was some sort of typo..

I was like surely no-one would call their children that. Chained dogs, a bull breed who's owner is obviously hopeless as the dog has caused issues, not desexed or rego'd. Then a chained up Sharpei called Terror.

The epitome of this was always going to end badly!!!!!!

That poor pup, pure Dante for having a moron owner, poor children for witnessing something do horrific. Thank goodness they didn't inadvertently get in the middle of it since dad was next door and they were obviously playing outside when it happened.

That woman should not be allowed to own any dogs!!!

Yep disaster waiting to happen...

1. that dog does not look like a pit bull . . . or like the dogs that everyone calls pits in the American South. Too rangey. Chest too narrow. Not enough bone. Ears almost floppy. Muzzle too long.

2. "she described Dante as 'an absolute honey' who loved being cuddled and playing with her two kids, Fury-James, 4, and Lahtezia-Lust, 5" is absolutely in pattern for pit bulls. Their owners almost invariably describe them as affectionate toward family members, and ignore their reaction to other dogs.

3. hard not to be judgemental toward someone who would curse their kids with names like Fury and Lust, and their dog with Dante the Infernal.

Conclusion: Sick idiot owner ought to be locked up and should not be raising children, much less dogs. This has nothing to do with pit bulls and everything to do with idiot owners who like ferocious dogs.

I can't help but wonder how sick the people who donated to Dante's release must be feeling.

I agree. Neither owner has done their respective dog favour in this situation.

A seven month old shar pei male chained or tethered in the backyard was unlikely to welcome another male dog in its territory anyway and may well have started the fight but would not have been able to win. Shar Pei as a general rule do not respond well if first meetings with other dogs occur where they feel they are constrained or restrained. Pei are renowned for on lead and fence aggression in pounds and shelters.