Neighbours Large Dog Can Get Into My Yard If It Wants

Guest donatella

Why go through your property manager (real estate). Go to talk to your neighbours, and get to know them. You never know when you will need good neighbours. Going through your property manager may be starting off on the wrong foot.

"Everybody needs good neighbours..."

The real estate agent can ask the owners of both properties to fix the fencing. It's up to the landlords to keep these sort of things inn good repair. I don't feel it;s starting off on the wrong foot. I would also go to the neighbours too and point out any concerns.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he can get out the other side as it's full panel fencing mind you I haven't seen if the brick wall goes the end so he might escape, the owner will want to know about that I'm sure!

I agree with Aussie on this. Doing something to contain the big dog is just as much in its owners' best interests, too.

Hope all works out well.

Don't chance it, don't look for signs the dog might not be friendly, just take whatever steps you need to secure it so the dog can't come into your yard. I would contact the RE as you have and I'd also have a chat to the neighbours next door. If it was me I would be really worried my dog wasn't safely contained in his yard. (well, if it was me I would have noticed the fencing wasn't adequate for my dogs, but anyway...)

Guest donatella

Thanks guys!! I'm waiting for the RE to reply I won't have a chance to talk to the neighbours until after work tonight. I've run into her once and she seems nice and I'm sure would appreciate knowing her dog isn't secure, i know I would be!!!

It doesn't help that mine are barking at the dog when it climbs up the wall damn them.

Guest donatella

Ok the RE said they believe the dog is fully trained and friendly and to knock on her door to have a chat she won't mind. So looks like it's ok for the dog to have access into my yard. Thanks RE.

Ok the RE said they believe the dog is fully trained and friendly and to knock on her door to have a chat she won't mind. So looks like it's ok for the dog to have access into my yard. Thanks RE.

err no. It might be fully trained when it's being given direction, but unsupervised? uh uh.

Guest donatella

Definitely passed the buck. I guess the only way to stop it is for us to work it out, I'm sure she's lovely and has no idea this is happening.

Definitely passed the buck. I guess the only way to stop it is for us to work it out, I'm sure she's lovely and has no idea this is happening.

She certainly has. It's not up to you as a tenant unless it was you as the tenant caused the insecure fence. It's up to the landlord to rectify the problem. Not good enough, and I'm speaking as a landlord lol.

The easiest thing might be to get a ladder and a roll of wire and some u nails, roll it out attaching one end to the fence at the top and overlapping it onto the fence at the bottom. By extending it along each fence it can be attached and pulled tight.

Bloody hell that's a worry. Hope you get it sorted Don, I know you are scared to walk your littlies on the street so to be scared to have them go out in the yard is a pain in the butt, hopefully a chat with the owners of the big dog will resolve it.

I am not sure it is the owner or RE agents problem in this case though. Things like toilets have to work but not sure if they have to supply pet proof fencing?

That was my thought also. As long as the fences that are there are in good repair I don't think the owner would consider it their responsibility to extend the fencing - unless some commitment had been given to do so. Best to work together with the neighbour and rig up some sort of barrier that the dog can't get over. Of course if he can get into other resident's yards as well then there may be complaints from other neighbours as well and the neighbour would be obliged to contain him somehow.

I think the best bet is to get someone to drive a couple of star pickets in to the garden bed up the top there and attach some wire to it and extand it at least a little way across the top of the timber fence. It's a shame you aren't near me as it's about a ten minute job for someone with a star picket driver and I would have happily done it for you. The materials would set you back about $40, could you maybe see if she has a partner/son/friend who is up to the job and go halves in the cost?

CavnRott I get the impression that they are courtyards/small yards with fences between and a large rock wall at the back. I am sure that for most dogs a large rock wall would be more than adequate to keep them contained, clearly not the case with this dog. No different really to the clever staffy that can scale the 6 foot fence despite it being a perfectly good fence. ;)

In this case it would seem that the new neighbour has failed to adequately assess the fence in relation to THEIR dog, not the other way around.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Guest donatella

Thank you everyone for your input. The owner wasn't home by the time I went to bed last night so I didn't get a chance to grab her might try get her phone number from the RE today.

I have a couple of options though, I can block my dogs from going to the side of the house which is where the brick wall is, they would still have the undercover courtyard and grassed area.

CavNRott, the fencing is more then adequate for my dogs, they couldn't climb the brick wall if they tried :laugh: I didn't for a minute anticipate a rock climbing breed would be moving in next door, there was a Pom when we moved in lol!! I'd say the poor guy is a bit bored and may climb the walls (literally) but the fencing was immaculate for my needs I never thought to consider about a dog climbing over the rock wall lol!!!

I went out and supervised this morning and the dog is interested in my dogs through the fence and sniffs but barks when I move up to the fence. I haven't seen it climb up since yesterday.

CavnRott I get the impression that they are courtyards/small yards with fences between and a large rock wall at the back. I am sure that for most dogs a large rock wall would be more than adequate to keep them contained, clearly not the case with this dog. No different really to the clever staffy that can scale the 6 foot fence despite it being a perfectly good fence. ;)

In this case it would seem that the new neighbour has failed to adequately assess the fence in relation to THEIR dog, not the other way around.

No doubt at all that the neighbour is at fault for not safely containing their dog. Looking at the pic I couldn't quite work out which fence was where. Thanks for the description. Now I get it.