Fighting Over Food

I'm new to this whole multiple dog thing as an adult. In the past all my family dogs (2) and my OH's family dogs (too many) were just given 1 bowl of food, no issues. It seems like with my two the mere presence of food can set off a shit fight.

We had one incident on the weekend, fritz had a food toy, Esky approached/ challenged. Fight ensued.

Tonight was preparing their dinner in the kitchen. And another biig scuffle. Had to drag Fritz off Esky. He struck first, but as my back was turned I didn't if there was any body language cues leading up to the fight. Esky's got a few marks on her after tonight. Fritz was worse off from Sunday's..

These aren't the first incidents we've had. But 2 in 3 days is enough for me to be more concerned. I already contain them at feeding time in crates. They're not allowed around us now when we have our meals. No more dinner scraps thrown to Esky.

Just don't know if I could be actively doing something else about the issue. Or if its just a 'know thy enemy' type of thing..

*cries* all stressed out now

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the size and strength of both dogs, prevention and intervention is needed.

This would apply to any 2 dog or more situation. You are on the right track to address the issue.

Try not to stress too much....Hugs

I know the experts will define what to do better than I could, Esky.... I need that info too

Edited by VizslaMomma

Oh :( don't cry and stress! More dogs = more stuff to worry about but also more fun!

Resource guarding from other dogs is totally natural, albeit dangerous so for now I would be having no dogs in the room when preparing meals and serving and letting them eat in separate rooms.

I'm tired and about to go to sleep but I'll come back and mention more about the guarding issues in my little pack of four (including foster puppy) :) oh, and how I manage them without too many dramas.

Edited by Simply Grand

They're not supposed to be in the kitchen at all.. so that's totally a fail on my part for not shutting the door .. or whatever happened.

They get fed in their crates. Given the size and strength of Fritz I'd rather Esky not be starting something. No question as to who will come worse off.

Poor you, Fritz and Esky. :( I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice as I've been lucky with my guys in that they just seem to understand the 'this is my bowl, that's your bowl' concept -- I don't think I did anything training wise to cement this either. The only thing I did do was always feed them sitting next to each other and make them wait for my release word before eating; I've always fed them with less than 1/2 a metre between them.

I know you said they're crated at meal times but do they wait for your okay to start eating? Also, how are they both if you want to take their food away? I've always made sure to pick their bowls up mid eating at random times and days and I also mildly annoy them whilst they're eating by doing things like excited patting all over the body, picking a leg/foot up and just being crazy.

On the other hand, some dogs I guess are just wary/cautious of their food. :(

Hope you can get some really helpful advice EtH!! :hug:

Edited to ask: I know you've also just moved recently (not sure how long ago actually). Has this behaviour just started or has it been stirring for a while?

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

This is common unfortunately but not a drama if you manage it.

I have 7 dogs to feed much of the time and there are no fights unless I take my eye off the ball, don't separate the food aggressive dog and let him go unsupervised.

Put your food aggressive dog in another location. I used to feed one in the bathroom so no one stole his food, he's gone now.

My Jack Russell is very protective of her food so she eats outside the back door. My other food aggro terrier eats in the kitchen - I put all the bowls down in the same locations and the same order every night and then I stand near by terrier in the kitchen so he doesn't go off and try and knock the others from their bowls.

It's all about management and doesn't have to be hard or stressful but you do need to take control and work out how to manage it so you don't have to deal with fights and nor do your dogs.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Completely different breed but Pugs are notorious for guarding their food. It's the only time a normally placid sweet pug will become a fierce little horror. I've even had one pug have a go at me when trying to take a bone from him! If you knew pugs, you'd realise what a shock that was to have happen.

Pugs are obviously very easy to control though due to their size. Couple this with the fact they don't have the best jaw and bone structure to do much damage, I can control them relatively easily. I would never leave my pugs together when being fed though without me standing over them at least.

It's just become a routine. I place them a distance apart and I stand between them. I always make sure I have a treat for each if I am giving them something. As I said though, little dogs without strength in their jaws so it's easy for me. They still manage or have a fight at least once a fortnight though or more.

Isn't Fritz only very young? I would be getting a good trainer in to assess what is happening and give you some ideas. I know food guarding is natural, but you don't want two dogs going at it every time they smell food or find a toy etc.

Isn't Fritz only very young? I would be getting a good trainer in to assess what is happening and give you some ideas. I know food guarding is natural, but you don't want two dogs going at it every time they smell food or find a toy etc.

I totally agree with this. Fritz is going to be a strong boy so I'd be getting this sorted before it gets any worse.

Until then crate them before you start getting dinner ready and seperate when they have food toys and always remove the toys once they've used them.

My BT is food aggressive, first dog in all my fostering that ever did it, bit of a shock when it was me and I walked past her when she had a bone! I called in Steve.

I started NILF ,and its worked, however, never any bones in this house and she is fed in the garage.

Totally agree with getting a reputable trainer in, and having them crated when you cook / when they have a food dispensing toy / for meals etc...

Is there a way they could be separated during the day? I'd be worried the resource guarding could escalate over anything (a stick, possum droppings, a dead mouse....)

Have you spoken to Fritz' breeder? It would be interested to know if there is a propensity to resource guarding in his lines, as he seems to have been displaying the behaviour from a very young age.

I would separate them now until you can see a reputable trainer/behaviourist. As you said this isn't the first incident and the behaviour is escalating, you need professional help or it will get worse very quickly.

I have 2 female Frenchies and 1 is food agressive. Frenchies are again smaller so more managable, but she has given the other dog some decent bites when we have incidents. The non-food aggressive one is only 8 months old so she doesnt fight back and has quickly learnt not to go near her at dinner time, but being a puppy, she forgets sometimes.

We used the NILF method. Plus also if there is a incident, we put the older one on her side and she needs to lay there while the younger one eats. She learns quickly that we are the boss and decide who eats.

We have got them them a good level where we can feed them in the same room WITH supervision. And we can give them both treats while they are next to each other. The risky moments are when puppy drops crumbs of treats on the floor and they both go to pick the crumbs up. So we only give very small treats that they dont have to chew up much.

I always worry when puppy reaches maturity if one day she will fight back.... but as long as we stay on top of it, I think we should be okay.

Around my house it is MY food until I've given it to them. And I will not have pushing and shoving when I'm prepping MY food (it's theirs, but mine until it's handed over). If there is pushing, shoving or posturing then everyone is kicked out or told to sit.

No treats until everyone is sitting and behaving. If you try and snatch someone else's? Well, that's tough. No one gets one then. I'm walking away. They learn quick.

Importantly, when I have given them food I try to ensure that each dog feels safe and secure.

Escalating frequency of aggression, low level triggers.

Separate them and call in a decent trainer before they, or you, get badly hurt.

The fact that you have a young male prepared to go a bitch would worry me big time.

Edited by Haredown Whippets