My Dog Suddenly Hates Me.

Hi all,

First time poster looking for some advice.My 22 month old bull arab cross mastiff has suddenly started to seem fearful of me to the point where if I get to close he will give a warning growl.

This behaviour started about 2 weeks ago and lasted for about a week and then he just as suddenly came good and seemed to go back to normal and as of yesterday he's become fearful again.

I can't pinpoint what's triggering it and am unsure as what to do so was after any advice from anyone who may have experienced something like this before.

I'm in Tassie where there is limited resources in reference to behaviourists etc, but i've had a phone consultation with one who is also a vet and she recommended him having a kidney and liver function test done to see whether he can be put on the doggy version of prozac if needed.

I have him booked in at the vet on Friday to get his blood tested to see if anything unusual stands out but not sure what exactly to get them to check for.

At this point I'm not really sure what to do with him so was after any advice or suggestions.

Thankyou.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thorough all over checkup as well as the bloods would be my first step.

Has anything at all changed with his or your routines? Are you wearing a different cologne, new boots, etc?

Is there possibly something that could be happening when you aren't there that has freaked him out?

T.

ETA - at 22 months, he's also starting to come into his maturity - and it may not be "fear" that you are seeing.

Edited by tdierikx

I believe DoLer Aidan is in Tas and does behavioural work, I would be contacting him. And getting a full vet check.

Edited to correct the name.

Edited by Diva

(This is a very very basic outline)

Kidney and liver function tests will show if they are functioning within normal parameters. Often in dogs where there have been abrupt behaviour changes the tests can show a chemical imbalance so it would be a medical issue which is causing the erratic behaviours. If it is a medical issue then the vet may look at medication that may be able to correct the imbalance and thus the erratic behaviour(s).

If nothing shows on bloodwork then you may be looking more at behavioural issues that need addressing with a qualified behaviourist. Doggy prozac can help calm the dog whilst other behaviour or training methods are being introduced and can then be weaned off once the triggers are indentified and worked with.

I believe DoLer Adrian is in Tas and does behavioural work, I would be contacting him. And getting a full vet check.

DOLer aidan2 is in southern Tasmania..... might be able to help, but he would probably want to know the result of the bloods and any other vet checks... Be worth PMing him.

Thankyou all for your replies so quickly.

There is nothing I can tell that has changed. I still work the same hours at the same job. Nothing in my routine has changed nor anything i wear etc.

My boyfriend works away during the week and then comes home for the weekends. The dog is fine to him. Just seems to be me.

The only thing I noticed when it first started was that I had the flu and my voice had changed from being phlemy.Don't know if that has any relevance at all.

I live on acreage so no one around to disturb him.

The behaviouralist i spoke to recommended the liver and kidney tests to make sure everything there was ok before putting him on medication.

The dog is male and desexed if that helps. I also have a 13 year old desexed female of similar breeding and she's fine with me.

Is there anything in particular in the blood tests that I should be getting the vets to check for?

Not sure if Adrian travels up my way as i'm on the north west coast of Tassie but will give him a pm and ask.

On the assumption that the aggression is inappropriate and inexplicable (which it seems it is), I would run a thyroid panel test. But I wouldn't bother with running it here in Australia - I'd run it via Dr Jean Dodds (Hemopet/Hemolife) in the USA. Their tests are more thorough/sensitive than the Aussie Laboratory tests, which tend to not pick up thyroid issues until later on, when the thyroid tissue is considerably more deteriorated (which means a "negative" result might not really be "negative"). Even in the absence of physical (i.e. clinical) signs, a thyroid imbalance symptom can be inexplicable aggression. I have picked up on a number of dogs out here with inappropriate and inexplicable aggression behaviour and where the USA thyroid tests conducted have shown sufficiently positive to suggest this could be the cause of the behaviour.

That would be my first step and I'd definitely want this done before entertaining the idea of drugs such as prozac.

Agree with consulting with Aidan.

Edited by Erny

I would run a thyroid panel test. But I wouldn't bother with running it here in Australia - I'd run it via Dr Jean Dodds (Hemopet/Hemolife) in the USA.

Is this something a normal vet can get done for you? Sorry to sound ignorant but the vets around where I live seem to be a bit limited in what they can do sometimes.

Thankyou all again.

p.s I have sent Aidan a pm as well.

Edited by ringer

You're not being ignorant, Ringer.

It's not that complicated, once you're used to the routine.

First step is to go to Dr Jean Dodd's website - HEMOPET

For a first thyroid test, I think "Thyroid Profile 5TM" is all you need, rather than the "Thyroid Profile 5TM PLUS" - but this would be worth double checking with Dr Jean (you can email her direct - she's fantastic with prompt responses).

Scroll down the page to "TEST REQUEST" and read through so you have a heads-up on what information you will need to include.

Go back to the page I gave you the link for and move your curser over the tab at the top, labelled "FORMS". Click on "SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS" in the drop-down box that appears. Scroll down a little until you see the heading "International Sample Shipping Instructions". This provides instructions to your Vet as to how much blood serum is needed, spinning down instructions, colour tubing required etc. It also tells you how to package etc. I always print this off and provide it to my Vet, even though we've done it many times over before.

Having made an appointment for the purpose, I take my dog to my Vet, weigh my dog, and the blood is drawn. We wait for 30 minutes and then the blood is spun down to serum. The Vet puts the serum in the appropriate tubing (making sure the amount of serum accords with Hemopet's minimum requirements) and gives it to me. I pay my Vet's bill (lol).

I return home, fill out the Hemopet On-Line Form and submit it with the appropriate payment. I package the serum according to directions and include a copy of the On-Line Form that I've printed out, with it. I then take the package to the nearest FedEx (International Courier) drop-off point. I don't seal the package down before I get there, in case they want to inspect it (sometimes they do), but once they've given the nod, I box it down and tape it up. FedEx will have forms for you to fill in as well. Pay FedEx for the courier fee, and it's done.

Takes about 3-4 working days to arrive at destination and I tend to find I have results in 7-10 days total.

The FedEx International Courier fee from Victoria is about $80.00.

As to your Vet drawing the blood for this purpose? IMO, any Vet should agree to it, even if they do roll their eyes and think "thyroid" couldn't possibly be the problem. An earlier Vet (before my current one) gave me that attitude and I just calmly said "humour me". As it turns out, my boy was thyroidic. He was only 15mo at the time of the test and certainly would have been too young (the thyroid would not have degenerated sufficiently in such a short life-span) for our Aussie tests to pick this up.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Erny

The other thing to check for (although I assume this would have been done when you took your dog to the Vet) is for any soreness, including ears, teeth, etc.

Edited to included teeth.

Edited by Erny

Thanks very much Erny.

There's no fedex in Tassie so i'm hoping australia post will suffice if I send it express mail.

I'm assuming my vet has a centrifuge available as they did stem cell treatment on my older dog.

It's funny that they can do this but can't do a cruciate ligament on a big dog and they have to go to Launceston for it.

Really appreciate everyones help.You are all a great bunch to help out. :thumbsup:

Body language wise he will avoid direct eye contact with me and look at me from the corner of his eye with his head turned away.

He will sometimes come up for a pat but if I pat him for more than a few seconds his tail goes between his legs and he will back off from me.

If i raise my hand suddenly he will almost cower, as if he thinks he's going to be hit.

I've never hit him but it seems like he thinks I will or have before.

If i persist on being near him he will start to growl and give direct eye contact, staring you down.

As it is at the moment I am avoiding direct eye contact with him and leaving him alone. If he comes to me for a pat I will pat him once and leave him alone.

I can distract him from this behaviour by saying moth or ball or walk or a word he associates with something he likes. He likes chasing moths and will go looking for one.

Thanks Persephone, it is a bit scary.He's a big dog at 70kilos. I don't think he will just attack me for no reason but i think if i stayed in his personal zone for too long he may bite me.

How old is he?

Dogs around the 8 to 18 months of age - adolescent - sometimes develop irrational fears (and selective hearing).

He might be having trouble with his eye sight too. Talking to him as you approach and letting him use his nose - should reassure him if this is the case.

And some dogs (and children) - if you change your hair style - will not recognise you eg from fluffy halo of dry hair to a wet cling rat hair - not the same person. hat on / hat off will do it for my dog.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Just something from another angle, if this all started when you got sick are you all better because some dogs can react strange if they smell illness on people.

When I was younger my grandmothers german shepherd showed fear after she had an asthma attack.

I would video his body language around you as well. As if visited by a behaviourist he may act differently. He doesn't have to be growling and you don't want to force the behaviour incase you inadvertently escelate it.

Just videoing his body language generally.

Just quickly read through this thread. Very unusual behavior. Can't help but think their maybe some underlying health issue with your boy. I'm another who thinks I'd be off to the Vets with him. Get him checked out.

Sorry this is happening. Must be very unnerving for you.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks very much Erny.

There's no fedex in Tassie so i'm hoping australia post will suffice if I send it express mail.

There has to be some sort of international shipping service available. I know some people have used Aussie Post but I'm not sure what method. When I tried, they said "no" because it was animal serum (even though I had all the signs/notices saying it was for prognosis purposes and non-contiguous). Others haven't had an issue, so perhaps it was only my post office not being familiar with it. Perhaps the others didn't announce what it was? I'm not sure.

As an aside - does your dog show this behaviour with anyone else?