A Friend Rescued A "fox T X" From Pound About A Year Ago

Tintin Jac

Not sure where to post this. It made me smile :)

We have friends in Cairns who rescued a "Fox Terrier x" from YAPS last year. Yesterday, our friend happened to be browsing a Fox Terrier breeders site and saw photos of her dog, Mr Darcy!

She has now made contact with the breeder who is pretty darn pleased to have been contacted. The breeder had thought he went to a good home but he somehow found his way to the pound. He was her first home bred Grand Champion so is pretty special to her.

We've met the wonderful Mr Darcy. He's a bit bonkers but totally adorable and has landed himself an awesome family :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could rehome their first grand champion. Obviously they have different priorities to most breeders I know who keep all their successful dogs for life.

Maybe they had cancer, motor nuerone disease or something severe & drastic, maybe they lost their home & possesions in a fire. Maybe they had a mental breakdown of some kind.

There could be many reasons that they have not mentioned. Who knows ?

Happy ending to what may not have been.

Good to hear the little guy has landed on his feet again :thumbsup:

And just because breeders can keep their ex show dogs doesn't necessarily mean they should. Perhaps these breeders recognised that this guy was better off receiving some more 1 on 1 attention and their focus was on the next generation. Although hopefully next time they'll be a bit more selective when it comes to rehoming

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could rehome their first grand champion. Obviously they have different priorities to most breeders I know who keep all their successful dogs for life.

Success has little to do with it surely - if the dog doesn't thrive in a pack situation what is best for the dog is more important to me than how much it won/could win/might win.

Funny "foxie cross" being the real deal :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

Welcome to the reality that every breeder with a limited number of dogs faces.

No matter how good the dog, if its no longer being used in your breeding program, only rehoming can open up a space for another dog. Some choose to keep everything, others will rehome to pet homes.

Very easy to judge sitting on the outside.

Well i now plenty who rehome there successful dogs to awesome homes because there retirement life means more than sitting in a kennel because it has a "title".

Getting a grand title is so easy these days so the significance is no big deal & you can achieve it at a very early age in some states that by the time the dog reaches its ideal prime its gone off .

Im presuming the dog was microchipped & those details matched what the breeder has then just saying it matches a photo ?

We nearly always put 'cross' on dogs, even if we are fairly confident they are pure as without confirmation we can't be sure and we want people to understand we are not guaranteeing that the dog is the breed we've put on it.

Fair point, but a pure bred Fox Terrier is a very distinctive animal!

We nearly always put 'cross' on dogs, even if we are fairly confident they are pure as without confirmation we can't be sure and we want people to understand we are not guaranteeing that the dog is the breed we've put on it.

So are greyhounds, the ear tatts make it fairly obvious, but for some reason the RSPCA quite often list them as GreyhoundX.

That's pretty cool Mr Darcy, even if you are a little bonkers :laugh:

Edited by HazyWal

Yes absolutely, shelters can't claim a dog is something they have no proof of.

Anything without papers is a x.

I'm afraid I don't get that "logic" at all. Why can't the story about the animal say as much. Sorry, shaking my head.