Which Breed?

jesse_083

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

My husband and I have decided we are ready to expand our family. He thinks a Weimaraner will suit us. I'm not so sure, hence the post. I don't really want to waste a breeders time if they aren't going to be the correct fit for us of that makes sense.

Getting a dog is something we have been talking about for years so while I've done a lot of research, I still don't really feel confident choosing a breed. we are only just now deciding we are ready for the life time commitment of dog ownership. So this isn't a rash decision, we've literally been talking about adding a dog to our family for years!

A bit about us:

We own our home, it's on a large block

We already have a bird, a galah. She is primarily an inside bird (is put in her outside cage on weekends when we are home only).

Live in the blue mountains, west of Sydney

Are fairly active - I alternate between walking and riding my mountain bike, my husband rides his bike about 5 days a week

Are away for work between 7 and 4 usually, 5 days a week.

We don't have a lot of recent dog experience. We had a guide dog puppy about 13 yrs ago when I was a teenager and my husband had a German Shepard cross (family dog).

What we can offer

Daily exercise either a brisk walk for an hour or out with the bikes

Regular grooming - we'd prefer short hair though

Inside while we are home, outside while we are at work (with access to large covered deck and enclosed under house area)

Weekly attendance at local obedience club plus training at home

After reading about crate training it's def something we'd look at doing too

So my question is do you think a Weimaraner is for us? If not, can you suggest a suitable breed for us please.

Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :) Whichever breed you get - if you get a puppy , it will be 12 mths or so before it can safely go cycling etc with you - because of possible damage to young ,growing joints .

Have you read the info on Wei's HERE ?

That is included in Dog Breeds 101 , found HERE.

Why does OH think a wei would suit your home?

What would YOUR ideal dog be?

How high are your fences..and of what material?

*as an aside- to be able to cycle around the Blue Mtns sounds lovely * :)

Weis are known as a velcro dog & can be very hard to live .

I would suggest talking to breeders ,you will not be wasting there time ,a good breeder should be very honest as to whether the breed is for you & there experience is what you need.

Maybe attend a couple of mixed breed dog shows. So you can see a lot of breeds at the same place.

Check out the dog breeds 101 forum here to look at some that might be suitable. We also have the breed forums, where you can ask questions of those that already have a breed you might like to know more about.

Good luck, I think researching is half the fun of finding your new family member.

Wei's can be neurotic and destructive in the wrong environment. Definitely make sure you meet a few before deciding! The longhairs are generally more laid back than the shorthairs.

Suggestions:

Labrador

Standard Poodle

English Pointer

Collie Smooth

Edited by *kirty*

Generalised preference can be narrow down the choices.

Inside dog or outside dog?

Long coat or short coat - sounds like you are erring to short coats

Giant, large, medium or small - sounds like erring towards larger breeds.

Research breed traits & temperament

When you have narrowed down to 2 breeds then VISIT the breeder's kennels or visit at a dog show. If you are open and honest and prepared to wait be upfront about researching and that you are not planning to be a time waister. I have people ring and I offer them the chance to visit if they wish (few take up the offer) but those who have are grateful for the opportunity. When you have narrowed down a couple of breeds visit a dog show and check them out and the breeders too. If it is worth you time to make a 12-15 year commitment to a furry family member then research is worth your time. IMO how the puppy is raised in the first 16 weeks sets the behaviour for the future so seeing how a breeder raises their puppies is important. Ask questions if the breeder reacts rather than responds to questions go somewhere else. This is just my opinion.

Edited by Tapua

German Shorthaired Pointer..However a Weimaraner may suit you too.Visit some breeders and dog shows,spend time with the breeders adult dogs and ask lots of questions.

Remember every dog is an individual and a good breeder will be able to advise which pup in a litter would be the best match for you..

Tapua you type faster than me.

Edited by Purdie

I don't see why a Wei wouldn't fit.

Its cold where you are, so I would put a coat on in the winter when its outside and a good kennel and bedding.

My Wei was outside 24/7,but did have 2 other dogs ,and I work from home.

Just watch the bird, mine killed many birds who came into the garden.

They are a strong willed dog who need a strong leader.

Have you considered a slightly older dog perhaps? You may find a breeder looking to rehome a young adult that might suit if you work a lot could be easier than a pup.

German Shorthaired Pointer..However a Weimaraner may suit you too.Visit some breeders and dog shows,spend time with the breeders adult dogs and ask lots of questions.

Remember every dog is an individual and a good breeder will be able to advise which pup in a litter would be the best match for you..

Tapua you type faster than me.

Just call me speedy Gonzalas :rofl:

German Shorthairs can be just as needy as Weis .

For many people they are the perefct breed but you do need to be the right owner & someones who understands the worst of the breed to ensure training is on the same page from day 1

We had Weis when I was a kid - don't remember them being velco or needy. Lovely pets, loyal and kind dumb was my overall impression of my dads 3 girls. (no offence to any one)

I'd have another in a flash - but we rent and I wont get another big dog until we own our own home.

You've told us about the practical YOU and what you can offer but you haven't spoken about what you want .... Does it have to be a big dog, can it be a cattle dog, terrier, do you melt every time you see a weim?

We have fox terrier. I've always had a little dog and a big dog. As I said, my lifestyle restricts the big dog side of things so we just have the foxie at the moment. But for me - it was a no brainer. My little dog of choice is a foxie/Jack russell / tenerfield style dog. Not a pom or a poodle - nothing wrong with eiter - they just dont speak to me.

Just to state the obvious - each breed has its pros and cons. Every single person on this board will be able to give you reasons for or against any breed, mutt, rescue. Some people really want to go through the puppy stage, others might be happier with an adolescent who;s ready to hike and bush bash with you, others - myself included wanted an older companion for not much more than cuddles (we adopted a senior).

It sounds like you're going with your head, which is important, but give your heart a little bit of a say too.

good luck :)

Guest donatella

This is my experience with Wei's:

We had 2 purebred sisters growing up. We were a family of 4 kids and 2 adults. They were always outside dogs, they would go hunting with my dad on the weekends. They both lived to 15 and died within months of each other (heart condition then the other rapidly deteriorated without her sister so was PTS). They were very easy going friendly dogs and I have nothing but fond memories of them :heart: Good luck in your decision

Guest donatella

We had Weis when I was a kid - don't remember them being velco or needy. Lovely pets, loyal and kind dumb was my overall impression of my dads 3 girls. (no offence to any one)

I'd have another in a flash - but we rent and I wont get another big dog until we own our own home.

You've told us about the practical YOU and what you can offer but you haven't spoken about what you want .... Does it have to be a big dog, can it be a cattle dog, terrier, do you melt every time you see a weim?

We have fox terrier. I've always had a little dog and a big dog. As I said, my lifestyle restricts the big dog side of things so we just have the foxie at the moment. But for me - it was a no brainer. My little dog of choice is a foxie/Jack russell / tenerfield style dog. Not a pom or a poodle - nothing wrong with eiter - they just dont speak to me.

Just to state the obvious - each breed has its pros and cons. Every single person on this board will be able to give you reasons for or against any breed, mutt, rescue. Some people really want to go through the puppy stage, others might be happier with an adolescent who;s ready to hike and bush bash with you, others - myself included wanted an older companion for not much more than cuddles (we adopted a senior).

It sounds like you're going with your head, which is important, but give your heart a little bit of a say too.

good luck :)

Yes this is my memory of ours too!!

Best advice ever :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Walter the Weimaraner used to live around the corner from me (family rented and have just moved). He barked a bit, but then He was left alone for most of the day and I very rarely saw them walking him, so I don't hold that against him. He regularly got out when tradesmen were there and when his people would leave the front door open. He didn't seem to have a mean bone in his body and, though I was not one of his people, he would obey me and go home. As I would have my little dogs in tow, he didn't show any interest in them except wanting to be friendly.

I once saw a couple of LH Weimaraners at a show and, whilst I can't say anything about their personalities, I nearly swooned :laugh: :laugh: at their beauty.

on 14.6 there is DOGS ON SHOW at Orchard Hills showgrounds

All sorts of dogs are shown in the All Breeds Show plus there are competitions in many other dogs sports representing a variety of anything and everything.

Come along, starts at 9am

Luddenham Rd Orchard Hills

BTW I cant see a reason why a Weim wouldnt suit you.