Have You Already Picked Out Breed/name For Your Next One?

Picked out breed and sex for my next one. All going according to plan that shouldn't be for a few years yet though. I usually have a list of names written down that I like then choose the one that suits the pup best after I've brought it home. I did this for my last one but my husband who was working away when I brought him home took one look at the pic I sent to him and declared the pup looked like a "Richard". As far as I was concerned no dog looks like a Richard but there you have it, I had to give him some say seeing as he had no say on breed. So now I have a poodle named Richard. :o

:laugh:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My next puppy is probably about 5 years away but even still I'll probably wait for it to be named by the breeder and have it's day to day name along the same lines.

Collie's registered name is Pinewaite Rum and Cola so according to the OH it was either going to be Rummy or Collie

This is such an interesting topic -- I'm loving that there's such difference in how you've all named your pets past and future!

I mostly chop and change when it comes to naming and I guess that's dependant on my situation. With Zeus, he was an on-the-spot, impulse purchase so I didn't have time to really think of a name, but I've always had my sources. My names are heavily influenced from mythology and with him, I'd quickly narrowed down Zeus and Loki as my two picks. I loved the idea of a Loki, but my brothers wanted Zeus and eventually, my bubba became my Zeusling.

With Kirah I spent a year choosing a suitable name -- I had lists everywhere. I put a huge amount of effort in choosing my breeder and she is my first ANKC registered dog so I wanted a special name with meaning. She's a return to my favourite breed so I ended up with an Aboriginal name although I changed the spelling. Kirra is said to mean either 'leaf' or 'boomerang' in a language local to Kirra Beach on the Gold Coast. Alternatively, in the Murri language of Southern Queensland, Kirra also means 'to live' and after losing Poochie, Kirah became my reason for living.

Knowing that Kirra also means 'boomerang' has me laughing at the image of Kirah's recall. She ALWAYS comes back and it's never in a neat turn and return; she has a wide arc in which to turn and come back, much like a boomerang!!

I was going to call him Gomez but it's I think it's too much like Grover.

I'm thinking of naming all my four Pugs (I'm planning to own four) after the original 1978 cast from Dallas... JR, Bobby, Jock, Miss Ellie, Sue Ellen, Lucy, Pam and Ray.

20ff5fb49db57c88136ba7ab9051257c.jpg?itok=X_ibxnQD

Edited by Queen Maeby

• 2 months later...

Our next pup is arriving in five weeks time; another chocolate labby; a bitch this time. We name our dogs before they come home whether we meet them or not. We usually have a list that we all add and remove as we agree and disagree on names. We've decided on Laiken Scout. For some unplanned reason, we tend to name our dogs after book characters laugh.gif

Casper Montgomery was named after the comics Casper the friendly ghost and his second name was a character in the original Fame tv series. Wilbur Atticus named after Wilbur the Pig in Charlotte's Web and Atticus Finch; To kill a mocking bird. Laiken Scout: Laiken from a book series called Slam (i had to compromise on the spelling with Miss21; in the books it's spelled Layken) and Scout from To kill a mockingbird.

Our shortlist for Laiken was (in no particular order):

Prim - The Hunger Games

Katniss - The Hunger Games

Luna - Harry Potter

Laiken - Slam

Scout - To Kill A Mockingbird

We had all agreed on Luna which as miss21's suggestion but she changed her mind after she'd heard too many dogs called Luna. She suggested Prim but I didn't like it. I suggested Katniss and we agreed but then i heard another dog called Katniss so i scratched it. Then i happen to reread Slam and put that at the top of my preferences and everyone agreed. Miss21 chose Scout as the second name; yes we give our dogs second names laugh.gif

Our next pup is arriving in five weeks time; another chocolate labby; a bitch this time. We name our dogs before they come home whether we meet them or not. We usually have a list that we all add and remove as we agree and disagree on names. We've decided on Laiken Scout. For some unplanned reason, we tend to name our dogs after book characters laugh.gif

Casper Montgomery was named after the comics Casper the friendly ghost and his second name was a character in the original Fame tv series. Wilbur Atticus named after Wilbur the Pig in Charlotte's Web and Atticus Finch; To kill a mocking bird. Laiken Scout: Laiken from a book series called Slam (i had to compromise on the spelling with Miss21; in the books it's spelled Layken) and Scout from To kill a mockingbird.

Our shortlist for Laiken was (in no particular order):

Prim - The Hunger Games

Katniss - The Hunger Games

Luna - Harry Potter

Laiken - Slam

Scout - To Kill A Mockingbird

We had all agreed on Luna which as miss21's suggestion but she changed her mind after she'd heard too many dogs called Luna. She suggested Prim but I didn't like it. I suggested Katniss and we agreed but then i heard another dog called Katniss so i scratched it. Then i happen to reread Slam and put that at the top of my preferences and everyone agreed. Miss21 chose Scout as the second name; yes we give our dogs second names laugh.gif

Ahh nice :) I always thought I'd like to have a matching pair called Scout and Jem :)

Not sure what breed yet but after only ever having big dogs, I would like something small and definitely another female.

We are thinking of a pug, dachshund, bulldog or chinese crested but can't decide exactly which one yet.

The name I have picked out is Maggie :)

Our girl is getting old and I would love to get a pup now so it can learn from Simba but my Husband says only 1 dog at a time. I also think a puppy might help Simba get a bit more active, she tends to sleep a lot of the day away.

Not sure what breed yet but after only ever having big dogs, I would like something small and definitely another female.

We are thinking of a pug, dachshund, bulldog or chinese crested but can't decide exactly which one yet.

The name I have picked out is Maggie :)

Our girl is getting old and I would love to get a pup now so it can learn from Simba but my Husband says only 1 dog at a time. I also think a puppy might help Simba get a bit more active, she tends to sleep a lot of the day away.

I agree with you. It would great for Simba as in a new lease on life and also the pup will be taught the necessities of life by her.

Friends of mine had 2 dogs, a Bouvier des flandres and a 13 year old Border collie. The BC was deaf and going blind and just started to "shut down" She had no intrest in anything and went down hill. No obvious reasons (vet checked her over) She just got sad and depressed and basically gave up. They decided she was on her way out and thought they should get a new pup before she went, to help the other dog adjust to a new pup so they got a Rottie pup....

The BC was so very offended by having a young pup in her house she rallied forth and started to get up and go about her business. Total turn around...

She lived for another 4 years, I believe :D

I'm not saying thaat getting a new dog will help, but I have seen it do wonders :D

No names as yet... But we've decided that when Dozer goes over the bridge (we've got a decade at the least), we'll be looking at Miniature bull terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers...

Still bull breeds which we love, but pint sized ones compared to our giant Am-staff..

Our current dog is named after my favourite Harry Potter character, and our breeder was lovely enough to let us tie her registered name in (her registered name has nothing to do with Harry Potter, but it all fits together). I'd love Prim from Hunger Games as my next one, but I have a feeling we'll probably end up getting a boy as our second dog, just due to how troublesome it can be to have 2 girls together! For a boy I wouldn't mind Wheatley, after the companion in Portal 2.

Guest Clover

It's going to be a while before another arrives here.

All I have is breed and only if the lines I like are still available at the time. Must be male and preferably rough coated, definitely not smooth.

Ok this non existent dog has a name now :laugh:.

Edited by Clover