• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest donatella

The man is an idiot.

I remember when he visited the purebred 'miniature Pomeranian'. That was the nail in the coffin for me lol

"Dominance" is not about dogs on beds, couches, pushing out of doors or even eating before you. It's rather simple, teach your dog some basic manners and give them consistent guidelines in which to follow you, they are fine. Some dogs may be harder than others to do this to. Not the fault of the dog, it's the fault of the owner in not providing clear consistent "rules" .

Let a dog get away with what ever it wants to, of course it is not going to "respect" you.

Unfortunately, there are many old myths that keep getting circulated. This is just another one.

IMO there is no question dominance exists in dogs, but truly dominant dogs are quite rare and the word is used too frequently and IMO incorrectly to describe behaviour that usually has nothing to do with dominance.

Edited by huski

Susanne Clothier said it best:

"The issue is not whether your dog gets on the couch [or bed] but whether it will get off it if you ask it to."

Dr Harry should stick to what he does best. Sadly, I'm not sure what that is but it sure as hell isn't dog training or behavioural consults.

Susanne Clothier said it best:

"The issue is not whether your dog gets on the couch [or bed] but whether it will get off it if you ask it to."

Dr Harry should stick to what he does best. Sadly, I'm not sure what that is but it sure as hell isn't dog training or behavioural consults.

My cats are planning to usurp the throne. The stray bites me if I try and kick him off

Mine take 'shifts' on the bed. Though it can get crowded sometimes. Two humans, two cats plus a couple of Pyrs can be cosy! Common saying in our house 'we need a bigger bed'. DH says no as it would just mean more of the dogs would fit, not more room for us. The Pyrs generally don't stay on for long though as they get too hot.

As many have said, beds are only really a problem if the dog won't move or get off when you ask. I have had only one that pushed the boundary. She was a very dominant girl who tried it on at about 6 months of age. Bed became off limits until 'attitude adjustment' was complete. Once over that stage she was a sweetheart and never ever tried anything on again. And she regained bed priveledges too with never another issue.

Edited by espinay2

Funnily enough, the only bed that Pickles hasn't eaten yet is mine... *grin*

Probably because that's where SHE sleeps too...

Harper's not allowed on the bed because she tends to use it like a trampoline and keeps everyone awake... *sigh*

T.

Mick, Min Pin is a cold bod and is always under the bedclothes unless it's extremely hot. Abby, Silky depending on the weather, hot - on her bed on the floor or on the lino, cool - on the bed, cold - I get a tap on the head and lift the blankets so she can get under. Often get the 'tap' about daylight when the frost starts to bite.

Gus tries to 'sneak' on limb by limb in the dead of night. Hilarious! 37kg of dog, who isn't stealthy at the best of times, crawling onto the bed and freezing when he's busted. Sometimes you just gotta let him win. He gets off when asked though. That's always been the condition.

Hahaha, Steph that reminds me of the Off the Leash cartoon where the big dog 'sneaks' onto the lounge chair with his owner and says "hehe, she didn't even notice" :laugh:

Pebbles, Saxon, my poodle x, tends to start nudging the blankets to get underneath at around daybreak too in this winter weather :)

Hahaha, Steph that reminds me of the Off the Leash cartoon where the big dog 'sneaks' onto the lounge chair with his owner and says "hehe, she didn't even notice" :laugh:

Pebbles, Saxon, my poodle x, tends to start nudging the blankets to get underneath at around daybreak too in this winter weather :)

Gus tries to 'sneak' on limb by limb in the dead of night. Hilarious! 37kg of dog, who isn't stealthy at the best of times, crawling onto the bed and freezing when he's busted. Sometimes you just gotta let him win. He gets off when asked though. That's always been the condition.

This is what Mosley does haha how do they think we won't notice?!

The best is the freeze when he's caught, two legs on the bed and trying to scramble the back end up. We call him the black ninja. Such a fool!

Mosley sounds like a spunk. Gotta admire their style!

And SG, That is exactly it! Then he starts to snore...

Mine sleep on their side of the bed - mostly - all three of them. My biggest problem is getting Sarah out of bed in the morning - she likes to sleep-in - every morning. rofl1.gif

ETA: she's never nasty about it - she just dives under the covers and won't get out ! Particularly in the winter! Smart girl if you ask me!smile.gif

Edited by westiemum