Blackhawk Sells Out To Foreign Ownership

Dr_Joan

Does foreign ownership matter?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather buy an Australian Owned & Made product?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic is in southern Australia (SA) :D

Do Masterpet actually manufacture under licence or are they just distributors?

They have exclusive distribution rights for Eukanuba I believe.

They have it along with many others But will lose it once Mars aquires it which is one of the reasons for the Black Hawk acquistion

Edited by casowner

Just red an article that Australian pet food manufacturer BlackHawk has sold out to foreign ownership... such a shame, is this inevitable for all Australian companies?

It it likely quality will change. Mesterpet (also owned by EBOS) have all their products in Coles, so atleast this may see Blackhawk available in superrmarkets! :)

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/ebos-chews-into-australian-pet-market/story-e6frfkur-1227108409823

EBOS also owns 50% of Animates Pet Store in NZ. The other 50% is essentially Greencross Vets (after they merged with Mammoth Pet Holdings).

And of course, it was that same merger that gave Greencross Petbarn in Australia.

To me it seems more likely that Black Hawk will become the private label brand for Pet Barn/ Animates and won't be in supermarkets.

[quote name='RuralPug' timestamp='1414941730' post='6588330'

New Zealanders can manufacture decent pet food - Ziwipeak is a fantastic brand made there. It is not as readily available in Australia as it is in the US, oddly enough. :shrugs:

You made me curious. I'd not heard of Ziwipeak. Went to their website where there's a search you can do, using your postcode, for nearest locations where it's available.. I got a pleasant surprise when at least 2came up, within easy distance... one is the Pet Cafe at Ashgrove. But they suggest phoning the store first to make sure that stocks are in:

http://www.ziwipeak.com/where-to-buy-ziwipeak/

Edited by mita

You made me curious. I'd not heard of Ziwipeak. Went to their website where there's a search you can do, using your postcode, for nearest locations where it's available.. I got a pleasant surprise when at least 2came up, within easy distance... one is the Pet Cafe at Ashgrove. But they suggest phoning the store first to make sure that stocks are in:

http://www.ziwipeak.com/where-to-buy-ziwipeak/

I was speaking to their reps at the I Love Dogs Show on the weekend.

Bowhouse Online is their go to site for info etc....

Appears that the amount to be feed is quite a lot less than other brands.

:)

They have it along with many others But will lose it once Mars aquires it which is one of the reasons for the Black Hawk acquistion

Yep, that makes sense. I believe Mars completed the acquisition a couple of months ago.

I use Ziwipeak and I really like it. It is rather expensive and we had to switch to a cheaper brand when the OH lost his job but I still use the dry food as treats and Jager just loves it. I have been ordering it online but I just did a search and the website says that there is a store near me that stocks it. So might go in a have a look.

You do feed a lot less - they go off their own scoops which are rather small, I think each scoop is about 50g. Jager was getting 1 scoop in the morning and 1/2 scoop at night (he was also getting chicken necks at night though).

I haven't tried their can food or the treats through so no idea what they are like.

Just looked at the websites for feeding amounts.

Ziwipeak - 10kg dog - ~97g per day

What I am currently feeding - 10kg dog - ~140g per day

Yep, that makes sense. I believe Mars completed the acquisition a couple of months ago.

http://registers.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1182387/fromItemId/751046 - they actually only got ACCC clearance 2 weeks ago.

I rarely end up feeding the "recommended" amount of any food to my dogs - they all have different requirements regarding how much food per day to maintain their respective body weights/condition.

eg. Pickles eats at least twice as much as the recommended amount of any food, as her mobility issues mean that she uses a lot more energy to get around than most other dogs. If I fed to the recommended for her weight, her weight and condition would drop dramatically. She is 14kgs and eats roughly the amount as a dog twice her weight - and that amount maintains her condition.

Zeddy gets a little less than the recommended, as she is older and her exercise levels are lower - don't want her getting fat now... *grin*

T.

I ticked the "only Oz" box, but I would like to point out to you that you have your facts wrong....

Here is a copy & paste from Black Hawk...hope this clears things up a bit :)

We would like to take the time to officially announce some changes that have occurred over the last two weeks and also address some concerns people have about Black Hawk the brand.

An announcement was made on 31st October 2014 that Black Hawk had been sold to Masterpet Australia (part of the EBOS group of companies). This was a difficult decision to make, but one that we feel is a positive step forward for Black Hawk.

We are still proudly Australian made and owned. Masterpet Australia has a sister company called Masterpet NZ, which is also where Masterpet originally began their amazing journey. We understand there is some confusion about Black Hawk being made or owned “off shore”. We can assure you this information is from an uninformed source, who may have had only half the story.

All Black Hawk products will continue to be manufactured here in Australia, in the same factory as before the sale. All our recipes will remain unchanged and we will continue to deliver new product extensions as needed.

The same team will be managing the brand from our Victorian head office and we will still have the same passion for the brand as always. Our sales team will remain the same and will now have an added support structure from Masterpet Australia’s sales teams.

All our distributors will remain the same and they will still have direct access to our office as needed, so business as usual there.

So, apart from ownership, nothing has really changed, but we will have an opportunity to give our customers more benefits moving forward.

We would like to thank our loyal customers for their support and understanding during this period and we look forward to an exciting future for Black Hawk.

Kindest Regards,

The Black Hawk Team

to answer the poll would I rather buy Australian, the answer is no not really I buy the best food for my dogs and if it's imported then so be it, Black Hawk is pretty ordinary and being "Australian" didn't make it any more enticing to feed the dogs

I would never feed it to my animals, I get offered free food by most Companies but would rather pay for the one that are best for my dogs

to answer the poll would I rather buy Australian, the answer is no not really I buy the best food for my dogs and if it's imported then so be it, Black Hawk is pretty ordinary and being "Australian" didn't make it any more enticing to feed the dogs

When it comes to kibble, that's more or less how I see it. I tried BH as a backup food, it didn't work for us. Tried Ziwipeak and even though they LOVE it, it's just too rich and gives them sticky, black poo (we do use it for treats though). Ended up going back to TotW for emergency food/food for stuffing treat toys.

If there was an Australian product with the same ingredients, I'd probably buy it but similar is not the same as "the same".

I do try to support Austalian owned, made, ingredient etc products. Even with our food there are certain things I just don't buy due to where they are from. However If i cannot find the right food for my dog that is Aussie owned, made, ingredients etc then I will buy the best food I can no matter where it is from.

I am going to be watching with interest.

When I am shopping for food (human) I always try to buy Australian produce/Australian Owned, but if this is not available, & there is a NZ one available I will always go for that, 2nd to Australian. I posted above BH's response to peoples queries over whether or not it is still Aus. owned & you have all read the response. It is probably a bit of a fine line between whether Masterpet Aust is Australian seeing it is listed on the Aust. stock exchange etc. But even if it were now NZ owned, I would still buy it over everything else that is available, as long as it continued to be made from Austrlian Ingredients & manufactured here providing jobs for Australians. I am sure if someone offered me over $57 million for my homegrown business ...it would be very hard to knock back. I think BH have done a great job in securing the future of BH here in Australia, keeping Aussie farmers & Aussie workers in a job. :)