Your Favourite Leash?

Jemmy

As the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new leash ????

Spring has brought some surprisingly harsh winds, and I've found my hands have been chafing a bit on the edges of my current leash... It's quite scratchy where the edges are stitched together.

I'm looking for something soft, but strong. I'll also happily take recommendations for long lines while we're here!

Edited by Jemmy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two leather ones from Ruthless Leather - I will never buy another lead again, other than theirs.

Awesome leads (and collars)..

You can't see it that well here but this is his shorter lead and flat collar

14904685419_99a4200638.jpgZig Noseworks 30.8.2014 1 by jamoore photos, on Flickr

We also have a double length lead (no photo) that matches this collar.

8230940821_a37d8ed9bd.jpgZigs new collar 11.12 by jamoore photos, on Flickr

The leather is the softest leather I have ever had - just love it.

Zig flogs his collars - swims in the nearly every day. I give them and the leads a rub over with the leather conditioner and they still feel brand new.

Soft and strong, can't go past leather. I would love a Ruthless one when I can afford it, but at the moment I have a lovely soft yet very strong leather leash made by a local leather maker. It's not anything fancy like Ruthless, but the hardware is solid brass and the leather is soft right from when you get it, only cost about $30 or so from memory.

He made it to my specifications and I recently got him to make me a show leash too ($25), he had never made anything but very basic dog stuff until he met me laugh.gif Now he's making special leashes for our clubs christmas raffle!

He's situated in the Riverina NSW, but I'm sure he might ship, find Nathan here at Skyline Belts. Otherwise just hit up your local saddlery or leather workers at fairs and markets and see if they would make you one smile.gif

These are the leashes he's made me

10701967_10152525440490787_3299070882260538308_n.jpg?oh=72f92757fd354a05c4061959e36395e3&oe=54F5647F

I love my tug lead. It's braided strips of polar fleece. It's lasted over a year and I use it as a dual purpose lead and tug toy.

It's really soft to hold and obviously quite strong. I'm not sure whether it would be suitable for a chewer but I've swung my 25kg lab on it while she is tugging numerous times and it's fine.

I also like my k9 pro leather leash and collar but we only use it for special occasions.

Edited by aussielover

I love my K9 Pro leather trial leash... so soft and light and I especially love that the buckle is small and compact too not one of those huge chunky ones that bash into the dog with every step!

For everyday walking I use their Syntek leash, also very nice on the hands.

Edited by silentchild

I bought a gripper lead as I wanted something with the solid brass buckle but didn't want to ruin an expensive leather one at the beach and park... it's fine except for the fact that everytime I use it my thumb gets covered in tiny but painful papercut sized slices. I have to wear a bandaid now otherwise I'll get home and my thumb is a stingy bleeding mess... and Didi doesn't even pull that much! Not sure exactly why it happens (i suspect something to do with the impregnated rubber) but I'm going to have to buy a different lead and just retire the gripper to backup/emergency car lead.

My favourite leads are leather and from Germany. They're so soft and lovely quality - best part is they're not even very expensive. I have them in all different widths and lengths!

If you're interested I can put you in touch with my friend who does the orders of these leads for the GSD club :)

I bought a gripper lead as I wanted something with the solid brass buckle but didn't want to ruin an expensive leather one at the beach and park... it's fine except for the fact that everytime I use it my thumb gets covered in tiny but painful papercut sized slices. I have to wear a bandaid now otherwise I'll get home and my thumb is a stingy bleeding mess... and Didi doesn't even pull that much! Not sure exactly why it happens (i suspect something to do with the impregnated rubber) but I'm going to have to buy a different lead and just retire the gripper to backup/emergency car lead.

Oh no That's terrible! I wouldn't be putting up with that, you need to get yourself a new leash young lady :)

I have a gripper leash too, but it doesn't do that to me, it must be my hard washer-woman's hands or something.

Those leather ones look beautiful, I have bought a book of raffle tickets Lisa, so maybe I'll win one, that would be fabulous!

I use Gripper Leads. At first they did cut my hands, but no no problem. I can't say they are soft. They aren't. And I use mine daily. I prefer it over webbing/cloth any day.

But they do give good grip, which is what I have needed. Hands just aren't as strong as they once were. :(

One day I'll have leather again.