Homeopathic Vaccination

Hi all

I was walking my dog home from the park and got into a chat with someone who was watering a "Say hello" friend's garden, about dogs and dog training and dog care...

She's into homeopathy and homeopathic vaccination.

I'm wondering what that is.

She also said that one of our SA dog clubs will accept Homeopathic vaccination as proof of immunity for joining their dog club. Which makes me want to cross them off the list as far as competition or visits go.

Tho it's not as bad a parvo area as the north side of Adelaide.

I was thinking of getting my dog titre tested for immunity against the vax that can be given tri-annually.

has anyone had their dog vaccinated "homeopathically" and then done the titre test for immunity?

Does anyone know of it working in an area where the virus is active?

I don't think the homeopathic 'vaccination' is an actual injection but homeopathic pills that are given to the dogs. I seriously doubt they work and I wouldn't spend the money.

If your dog has previously had all puppy shots plus a booster 12 months after the last puppy shot he/she probably has strong immunity. The only way to tell for sure is to have a titre (or titer) test done.

My dogs now 10 1/2yo and 9 1/2yo have not been vaccinated since their booster at 16 months of age.

This link has some info about them - http://www.antivaxxers.com/?p=3671

I think the bold part says it all really :laugh:

“… Vaccines made from infectious organisms are used to prevent the very diseases they’re made from. The big difference between homoeopathic prophylaxis and vaccination is that vaccines contain numerous additives that are harmful for health, work at a chemical level, and bypass the body’s early detection and defence mechanisms when injected directly into a muscle.

In contrast, a homoeopathic remedy has no dangerous additives and is prepared so that there are no remaining molecules of the infecting organism or virus. While the method of action is not yet fully understood, the remedy (prophylactic) appears to carry an energetic imprint of the original substance into the body that in turn stimulates resistance to the targeted disease.

Oh - personally - I think the whole concept of Homeopathy is crazy... but I'm willing to look at a double blind study or some sort of testing to see if the dogs have immunity.

I did a bit of google and they're not allowed to call it "vaccination" when relating to humans. Ie some homeopaths sell something they call "vaccination" to human mums for their human babies and it's lead to problems where the human mums genuinely thought they had babies immune - wrong.

But I haven't seen much that says that someone (or some dog) who had homeopathic vaccination - caught the disease either.

The way they'd do it in the lab would be to force exposure tho not just wait for it to happen naturally (eg visiting a dog park in Salisbury). Don't know if that's been done either. (poor mice).

Hi all

I was walking my dog home from the park and got into a chat with someone who was watering a "Say hello" friend's garden, about dogs and dog training and dog care...

She also said that one of our SA dog clubs will accept Homeopathic vaccination as proof of immunity for joining their dog club. Which makes me want to cross them off the list as far as competition or visits go.

Tho it's not as bad a parvo area as the north side of Adelaide.

I was thinking of getting my dog titre tested for immunity against the vax that can be given tri-annually.

has anyone had their dog vaccinated "homeopathically" and then done the titre test for immunity?

Does anyone know of it working in an area where the virus is active?

I agree with this, I would want to know who they are and avoid them like the plague.

While the method of action is not yet fully understood, the remedy (prophylactic) appears to carry an energetic imprint of the original substance into the body that in turn stimulates resistance to the targeted disease.

I don't want pretend resistance - I want actual resistance. Should be detectable with a titre test even.

There's plenty of medicine that works and can be shown to work with double blind study - and they still don't understand how / why it works. So the fact that it is not "fully understood" doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

All the studies I've seen that do double blind studies on the performance of homeopathic remedies - show the same result as the control group - ie the one which did not get the "active" therapy. And that's pretty scary.

While the method of action is not yet fully understood, the remedy (prophylactic) appears to carry an energetic imprint of the original substance into the body that in turn stimulates resistance to the targeted disease.

I don't want pretend resistance - I want actual resistance. Should be detectable with a titre test even.

There's plenty of medicine that works and can be shown to work with double blind study - and they still don't understand how / why it works. So the fact that it is not "fully understood" doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

All the studies I've seen that do double blind studies on the performance of homeopathic remedies - show the same result as the control group - ie the one which did not get the "active" therapy. And that's pretty scary.

Scientific studies routinely dismiss the concepts of homeopathic medicine, veterinary and otherwise. See, eg:

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/10/new-systematic-review-of-veterinary-homeopathy-still-no-reason-to-believe-it-works/

Quote from the above: "This systematic review emphasizes that even with the darkest of rose-colored glasses, it is impossible to see the scientific study of homeopathy as anything other than an utter failure to find real, meaningful benefits, and that the best thing medical researchers could do for patients, human and veterinary, is to give up on this failed idea and move on to more promising research."

Edited by sandgrubber

Quote from the above: "This systematic review emphasizes that even with the darkest of rose-colored glasses, it is impossible to see the scientific study of homeopathy as anything other than an utter failure to find real, meaningful benefits, and that the best thing medical researchers could do for patients, human and veterinary, is to give up on this failed idea and move on to more promising research."

I think with humans there is the placebo effect it's amazing how the placebo does seem to work with some people. This of course is not the case with animals.

efs

Edited by cavNrott

Yep I know of someone down here who homeopathically "vaccinated" her litter of pups and de-wormed them that was as well. Oh and yes and homeopathic flea treatment as well. Some pups came to the vets to be properly vaccinated and were full of worms, felas and looked bloody terrible. After a good few dewormings they picked up a lot.

The ones who went to people who believed that shit ended up one - very sick due to worm infestation, two others died from parvo.

Hi all

Serious risk taking based on zero scientific evidence as far as I can see. If it works, it would titre. It doesn't.

When it goes wrong, animals pay the price. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Homeopathy- Tim Minchin explains it best.

I am also in the puppy vaccs and first booster and all done for life camp. The more I read and hear, I am even becoming less inclined to go with the booster. Puppy vaccs and it's all done. My current dog had a C5 coming out of the shelter at 9 months of age. No idea if he had anything as a baby. I have no intention of vaccinating him again.