Fruits For Dog

pawsitive

Gorgeous pics! I give Nixon new things to try all the time, and we'll often share a banana. The only thing he won't eat so far is mushroom. I love giving him new things, he's always very considered, and gently mouths whatever it is before tasting. Last night he had some cucumber for the first time, and seemed to enjoy it.

We do have 2 macadamia trees and it's a constant worry! Once they're ripe it's fine cos they're too hard to crack, but the tiny green immature ones are a big concern. When they're falling I try to pick them up every day.

about the only things mine dont seem to like are mushrooms and celery, but I'm sure they'd eat both of them cooked.

Mine even love the left over salad dressing I make that is very lemony and garlicky.

Any of the brassica family is always eaten with pleasure, especially the thick stalks of things like broccoli and hard ribs of cabbage leaves.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:laugh: love the pictures, Kirislin. I had a similar one of my Kirra when she was younger inside the netting over the raspberries that I had then. And I love the way dogs peel their lips back when they're eating blackberries - and how they know to go for the ripe ones.

My first BC boy was known as Banana Dog in the palliative care centre he visited as a therapy dog. His party trick was peeling his own banana as he ate it. He's carefully break off the stalk end, then eat his way down, bending the peel back as he ate. It used to be a great hit with patients and staff.

Now I have 2 apple trees here myself, but I dont expect to get to eat many
:laugh: Kirislin - I feel your pain - my current BC gets the low hanging fruit, while the parrots get the higher ones. If I'm lucky, I get a few apples, apricots and pears from the middle levels. I've had to stop Rory many times after he's brought in his third after dinner Granny Smith. I used to worry a bit about the stones in the apricots, but the dogs seem to be able to spit those out quite easily.

My two love a variety of fruits and vegetables. Cucumber is one of their favourites.

Ernie hates all fruits and vegetables. I've watched him delicately (and he's a lab) pick his way around a green pea.

He's a teenage male in more ways than one.

The first time I gave Nixon a carrot he was probably about Ernie's age, and he refused to eat it. It was still there when I got home in the arvo, with about 2mm nibbled off the end. I just left it out there, and the next day when I got home, it was gone! He now goes mad for carrots and thinks they're an awesome treat :) So don't give up on Ernie - he may become a super veggie loving dog yet!

My lot shared a mango with me the other day. They all had a try at nibbling the fleshy seed as I held it :laugh: Ivy seemed to be the best at realizing she couldn't take it from me and nibbled off some flesh. And they LOVED the flesh I gave them too.

Raw broccoli stem is also a fave here.

eta - The buggers always find the almond shells that the Eclectus tend to throw out of their cage too.

Edited by english.ivy

1418263359[/url]' post='6609490']

mine like apple, banana, and carrot ... and anything else that you make them think is a treat by making them sit and wait before they can have it :laugh: They also think ice cubes are the best treat ever... cheap dogs haha

I have ice cube lovers here.

Henry waits by the fridge in the evening to get his ice cube laugh.gif

Not a 'bad idea' ;)

Our dogs love bananas- apples are one of their first toys! They also enjoy strawberries/pears/tomatoes & figs. :)

Be careful with tomatoes Perse, they contain tomatine which is dangerous, but less so in very ripe fruit. Tomatoes also contain atropine that can cause tremors, dilated pupils and heart arrhythmia . These things are more concentrated in leaves, stems and unripe fruit.

I don't think it is super dangerous but just something to keep in mind :)

We have our Mulberry tree in full fruit right now, so it has been purple poo for a while now. Ronin picks out the juiciest ones :D

Ronin likes most fruits and veggies as treats, carrot is always good and watermelon as seen on his first birthday "cake" :D

post-49154-0-19963800-1418272462_thumb.jpg

Nova picks his own fruit on our various fruit trees laugh.gifThe peaches get eaten as do any berries, the mandarins and pomegranite just get taken off the tree and played with before they are ripe icon_smile_mad.gif

He loves tomatoes so much they were the treats I used over meat to get him used to grooming as a pup laugh.gif

He does not appreciate leafy green vegetables.

I have stone fruit trees in my new yard, the birds have pretty much trashed them and they are all over the ground. I don't know what they are as they are just little green balls but Maddie has decided to pick as many up as she can and hoard them in her bed. I have planted my tomatoes in the front yard as Stan is obsessed with the cherry toms. He picks them off, squishes them in his mouth and spits the skins out, I watched him doing it out the kitchen window at my old house. I had random tomatoes popping up all over the yard but I just mowed over them...I know where they'd been :laugh:

Can I ask what part of the macadamia is toxic to dogs. We have a macadamia tree in our yard bug it hardly ever produces nuts. When it does though there's not many but the dogs do run around chewing them.

Mostly our nuts are have a soft green shell covering the hard inner shell. My dogs love chewing the green but can't break open the hard brown shell to get at the nut.

I don't actually think they even eat any -- just destroy then spit out.