18 Month Old Kelpie With One Floppy Ear.

Maffra

My 18 month old Red and Tan kelpie has one floppy ear,The good one has been always pricked from about 3 months. Have tried all types of taping to no avail. Been to a vet who said nothing pHysically wrong with ear,Both his parents and brothers also have erect ears ,Sometimes it may stay up for about a minute but then flops down.Have had Kelpies all my life and have never had this problem before.

Would appreciate any new advice. Getting to the stage that am considering having a Vet inserting a stiffener, just so my Grandkids might stop calling him LadyBoy.

Edited by Maffra

Some Kelpies just have floppy ears :) . I know several who have floppy ears, they are related, soft ears are genetic. Breeders of working line dogs value their working ability above ear carriage, so some lines of working Kelpies have floppy/soft ears. If his ear is not standing up now at 18 months, it won't stand up. It won't make him any less of a Kelpie, will give him character :)

Edited by Kavik

Yes, I have a gorgeous BC girl who has 1 flat ear & the other is perfect. Just like an envelope as they should be.

When she was young & her little ear didn't come up I was going to try & correct but I'm so glad I didn't as they so suit her. She's a very quirky girl so her "different" ears fit right in.

Unless you plan to show him. I would just leave them. Why mess with cute imo ????

Edited by BC Crazy

Thankyou all for your replies,All your answers are what I have now come to accept,he is still a beautiful dog,just have to get used to "Whats wrong with his ear ?". Its much the same as having a one blue eyed dog that I once had.A great forum I've found. All have a great Christmas & Safe & Healthy 2015.

My first dog as an adult was a 1U1D eared BCxKelpie. Like everyone else here - I liked the way she was - part of her character - and when both ears would stand up (wind assisted) she actually looked a different dog - and not so cute.

You and your boy will have lots of fun together. :D

He's finished growing in that respect so don't bother. You've missed the mark for taping that has to be done from 8 weeks of age consistently not just holding the hear itself vertical but stiffening around the base so it has the strength to hold it up. Give your grandkids a clip around the ear for being disrespectful ;) problem solved.

20140126_214653.jpg

My bitches ears never stood straight up either. I tried taping for a bit, OH said he didn't want me to keep doing it so we have a Womble. Never diminished her working capacity or affected her in any way so oh well, she's just special :D