I Wasn't Expecting This!

Kirislin

I have 2 male whippets who were neutered before they were 12 months old, almost 10 years ago now. Neko is my little Italian greyhound bitch who is being kept intact for now while being shown, and her breeder plans on her having a litter sometime in the next couple of years. She's already had one season and my boys were fantastic, showing no interest in her at all, but this season is a different story! :( She just reached day 12 of her 2nd season yesterday and in the afternoon started waving her rear under Tags nose. Well, it's triggered those primal instincts that males have, whether neutered or not!! Now I've got a love sick boy on my hands and Puck is starting to show a bit of interest too, probably from watching Tag carry on. The last thing I want is an 18kg male mating with a 4.5kg female. She wont have puppies from the mating but she might be split in 2. :( I wasn't prepared for this. I've crated Neko for now and I'll be happy for the next few days to pass quickly.

It was a shock to me when my neutered male not only showed interest in my bitch but also managed to tie her.

That was a fun afternoon for all involved :laugh:

I've seen it happen before and I might not be as concerned about these 2 if there wasn't such a size difference. I have visions of him running around with a tiny little dog impaled on the end of his penis. :eek:

Its because she's gorgeous biggrin.gif

But yes, crate. Covered or a soft one.

ETA: my entire dog came into contact with 2 in heat bitches before he was desexed ay 2yo and didnt give them any attention at all. He just kept looking at me like "where's the tennis ball- you gonna throw it now?"

I am pretty sure he doesn't know he is a male. He still pees like a girl too laugh.gif

Edited by denali

She just reached day 12 of her 2nd season yesterday and in the afternoon started waving her rear under Tags nose.

I've crated Neko for now and I'll be happy for the next few days to pass quickly.

If she is only on day 12 you will need to be waiting for the next 18 or so days to pass. Girl on day 19 here & the entire old boy is trying to hump the old desexed girls who are putting him right back in his place. He whinges & barks a lot too :banghead:

I have had a girl in the past who would only mate from about day 20. I always seperate for 4 weeks.

Our neutered male goes crazy when our two girls come onto heat. He will certainly attempt to mount them if he gets the chance so when they are right on we have to separate them. Then we have to sit and listen to him crying and carrying on.

He is a real Casonova. He really adores our oldest girl so she gets gentle ear nibbles and sweet nothings whispered to her :laugh:

But yes, a crate is helpful until all those hormones settle down.

This is why, as a rescuer, I will never rehome desexed dogs with undesexed dogs. for the average dog owner it is very difficult to manage the situation, different for those set up as breeders.

I've had the misfortune to bring home dogs that then went on heat and have had a hellish fortnight or so to deal with, some of my desexed males were fine but some were not. It usually ended up in me having to pay for boarding of my own dogs in order to manage.

If I were you, i'd reconsider breeding if this is going to happen every time.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

It wont be like this for a fortnight. She's only going to "stand" for about 4 days. At the moment they're all out and calm. If they get frisky again, I can crate her. I have also had an offer from a friend to take the boys for a couple of days if needs be.

As far as breeding her, it's not up to me. I have her on breeders terms, I was aware of that when I took her.

Tags amorous behaviour certainly took me by surprise, but now that I've gotten over that I think I'll be able to manage it, I just wasn't expecting it, that's all.

Edited by Kirislin

Dory and Willow get quite frisky with each other here. Drives us a little nuts mostly because Willow flirts outrageously and will nuzzle Dorys ears. Which Dory loves no matter who is doing it. (Cats will sometimes oblige) So then Dory spends a lot of time pawing at Willow and then shoving her ears in Willow's face.

It gets really silly when Willow starts flagging. Somethings cannot be unseen. :eek:

And they are both girls!!!! Desexed and Entire.

Saxon was desexed at 6 months, he's now 5.5 years, he doesn't particularly like Quinn normally but he falls in love with her when she's in season :laugh: He follows her around humping her whenever she isn't moving. Fortunately he doesn't seem to be able to figure out where exactly he's supposed to be aiming for!

Just a normal house here with an entire male and entire female. A couple of things I do that help (apart from separating!) - Em wears pants so she doesn't drip scent everywhere. Even a clean bitch will drip scent. I use old sheets to cover furniture that she will sleep on. She only gets to exercise and pee in a separate yard. I do extra training with both dogs - even crate games side by side during the first 10 days. I will often take one dog with me to work or Uni if I can. The mental break does help!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I'm not a breeder or have any entire animals, but reading this thread makes me wonder WHY the ordinary person wouldn't desex their animals?!? I know in this case the bitch is on breeders terms and I'm not talking about that... more so just your average Joe who refuses to desex their dogs.

Really? who could be bothered with all that! My hats off to all the breeders out there! its an awful lot of work.