Throwing Up While Eating

Our 9yo lab has always been food obsessed and eats fast, but in the past couple of weeks he's started to throw up while eating. Doesn't slow him down and he eats the sick along with the food.

He gets fed once in the evening, mostly Bonnie or similar. Starting today I'm giving him half in the morning and half at night.

Is he just getting too old to be eating as fast as he does, or could there be another cause?

Try adding some water to help lubricate the dry food going down. Just enough to almost cover it all it can help a lot. My old bitch can do the same thing or gulp so much so fast she just stands there trying to force it down.

I also vote for a slow feed bowl. I came very close to losing my 12.5 year old a month or so back because of the way he eats. It was enough to make me realise that I needed to do something about it and I now find it takes him 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds to eat his dinner. So they really do work, at least in my case.

I don't think he likes the bowl though because whenever we don't pick it up straight away he picks it up and takes it to a remote part of the yard. :laugh:

Edited by Airedaler

Ours have brekkie Kongs. It too makes them work for their food. Helps Stella eat slowly. I usually just half fill them with kangaroo mince or something. They love them :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Our 9yo lab has always been food obsessed and eats fast, but in the past couple of weeks he's started to throw up while eating. Doesn't slow him down and he eats the sick along with the food.

He gets fed once in the evening, mostly Bonnie or similar. Starting today I'm giving him half in the morning and half at night.

Is he just getting too old to be eating as fast as he does, or could there be another cause?

My boy is a gulper & gets acid reflux, I just found Sunday Pets Deliganics & the fat% is only 5% fat nice & low & stops the acid reflux..the Deliganics are not kibbles they are like a small baked weet bix & the dog has to chew them, I break in half then in half again & add water to the Deliganics biscuits for about 1-2 mins then I drain all the water the. I sit with Patch & slowly hand feed him 1 by 1....In 1 cup there's about 20 biscuits but I feed 4 smaller meals thru the day, he loves the Deliganics & is starting to enjoy his food cause he is eating slowly & chewing these baked bisuits & they are all organic & healthy & Sunday Pets make a senior deliganics, email Sunday Pets & see if there's a Pet Shop close by that sells a 1.5kilo bag of Deliganics Senior or I buy a 11.81kilo bag from Pet Circle excellent next day delivery & free delivery for orders over $99 http://www.sundaypets.com/deliganics

Muffin tray slow-down bowl deployed tonight. I can report that D1's dinner has gone from 15 seconds to about a minute and a half, with no vomit.

Thanks all. The only down side is the teflon coating might have a limited life...

Does he throw up on other foods? Bonnie is predominantly wheat and corn, and fish meal is usually of suspect quality in the pet food industry. When dogs throw up their food it's a reaction from the oesophagus because it can't be digested properly, either from your dog eating too fast or what they're eating. This is what I think of Bonnie (understood that people have differing opinions).

Love the tennis balls :)

Ernie is a typical lab gobbler. I use a slow down bowl and it helps, but his dinner is still gone in 2inutes.

I used to feed twice a day but he's (gasp!) become uninterested in food in the morning. Can't figure out why - his dinner is at 6pm so he should be hungry. My only thought is that the kennel he recently boarded at fed only once a day.

But back to slowing them down... I may try a muffin tray. Throwing on the grass doesn't work as he's too lazy.

we have two labs; one is a guzzler and one isn't. For the guzzler we use a slow-feed bowl and it's helped enormously with slowing her down. We also use a Kong Wobbler, Bob-a-lot, tu-a-jug and some other food dispensing toys for kibble but since we primary feed raw, the slow-feed bowl has been essential. I also feed them their turkey neck/lamb neck bones frozen all year round which slows our piggy girl down too.

Does he throw up on other foods?

Yes. Throughout his adult life he's had mainly Supercoat (tho I guess I'd get the same review!), Bonnie recently and he's also had some other one that I can't recall at the moment. It hasn't been a change and it looks like a speed rather than reaction issue. But I'll try him on something else and see if it makes a difference. They also get chicken necks.

The muffin tray is working at the moment and we're back to once a day feeding. Also, the concept of a dog refusing breakfast is completely alien to our house. They would both be very fat dogs if they could open the food bin themselves.