Car Question For New Big Dog (Don't Laugh)

MAZNAT

We are eagerly awaiting the new arrival of our new ridgeback puppy, we know he's going to be a big dog, so want to upgrade our 'little car', all for his comfort of course.

Does anyone have a subaru forrester and if so, do you think the trunk space will be big enough when he is a fully grown rhodesian ridgeback?

He'll be in the back seat probably more than anything, but should some humans want a seat, he'll have to be put in the back area.

Thanks in advance.

(I can't find any heigh specifications online of the car).

Thanks Ranga. Much appreciated.

SIL borrowed one of these after some scary driving by another driver.

Adult male Ridgeback and adult female Mareema were most comfortable.

Must have been an great set of wheels. The ridgeback did not try to eat seat belts.

:eek:

I went from a hatchback to a wagon for two reasons. We became a three dog family and my parents were getting rather old so if there was a flood or cyclone or something and we had to evacuate I'd need a car big enough for the parents, three dogs AND all our gear!

I love my subi :) I've only got a mini schnauzer but I often have a family member's two border collies as well and they all fit. When I've got all three I put the two borders in the boot and the schnauzer in the back seat but that's because one of the border's is quite dominant and needs to be watches around other dogs.

I have a friend who fits her two Aussies in the back of hers very happily :)

Were about to have the same problem, needing to go from a hatchback with a car with a boot that can fit a dog! Great problem to have though :)

My parents have a landcruiser that is brilliant, takes as many dogs/ goats and baby cows as you want but if you want something a bit smaller my mums Subi is amazing, im hoping to get a 2nd hand one.

MAZNAT - I think this is a very reasonable Q to ask... in fact I asked the exact same thing on this forum about 6 months ago when I started thinking of upgrading my car... I'm still thinking laugh.gif

I have a female Hungarian Vizsla and plan on adding another to the family next year. Currently drive a Honda Jazz and she sits on the hammock in the back seat. I have been wanting to upgrade my car anyway but ensuring the boot space is large enough for 2 medium dogs is top priority too. I do agility and plan on starting some more sports this year so carry a crate etc in the car often. So I need room! However, I do not have kids so I question my use of an SUV but I have no other choice really... plus I like the ride height biggrin.gif

I have done SO much research - no test drives yet except the Forester. The two brands I trust the most are Mazda and Subaru. Subaru although not the prettiest, are the safest! There ring shape reinforcement frame which surrounds the boot area too is supposedly the strongest in its class - not so crumple zone if rear ended... Many cars rear window slopes down a lot for looks which is impractical for dogs.. I have narrowed it down to the Mazda CX-5 and the Subaru Forester or perhaps at a squeeze the Subaru XV (love the look of this one but the boot is a bit small I think?). I have been hanging out for the brand new 2015 Subaru Forester due out in a few weeks - good upgrades inside and price cut also... this website has all the measurements of every Subaru (last years model) http://www.cars101.c...rester2015.html

I would love to hear how you go with your decision... what other options did you look at?

Edited by Sail_Away