Car Question For New Big Dog (Don't Laugh)

MAZNAT

Sail away: the Subaru xv is exactly the same (except slightly taller) as the impreza and the impreza has a bigger boot because it doesn't have a full replacement tyre like the xv does. So if the xv suits you in other ways maybe look at the impreza?

I looked at the x-trail but I didn't love the way it handled or the feul economy compared with the subi's. The size however was just right!

Sail away: the Subaru xv is exactly the same (except slightly taller) as the impreza and the impreza has a bigger boot because it doesn't have a full replacement tyre like the xv does. So if the xv suits you in other ways maybe look at the impreza?

I looked at the x-trail but I didn't love the way it handled or the feul economy compared with the subi's. The size however was just right!

I'm drawn to the 8.7" ground clearance and ride height of the XV though... I figure the ground clearance is an advantage when going off the beaten track... This is one reason I keep coming back to Subaru as well as the AWD system.

We had a a Forrester but when we looked at the new model (had an 09 and were looking at a 2013), we found that the boot had actually decreased in useful space. They made it deeper so there was more height, but it had less floor room so we couldn't fit our then two greys in it.

I have a Hyundai wagon for my dogs but also drool over the new Mini cooperS... double sigh.

My first 2 cars were minis including a little hotted up number. The new minis are heaps bigger though. So cute.

The X-trail is THE best dog car for it's class - especially if you need to go off road like I do (plus the raised seating position for my back). I agree the economy can be average - I would go diesel. However the new shape makes me :(

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The X-trail is THE best dog car for it's class - especially if you need to go off road like I do (plus the raised seating position for my back). I agree the economy can be average - I would go diesel. However the new shape makes me :(

Economy is wonderful if you were driving a Discovery prior :rofl:

Economy is wonderful if you were driving a Discovery prior :rofl:

Not to mention mechanic costs :scared: Now there's the perfect dog car if you have money to spare. And a tow truck :rofl:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• 1 month later...

We are eagerly awaiting the new arrival of our new ridgeback puppy, we know he's going to be a big dog, so want to upgrade our 'little car', all for his comfort of course.

Does anyone have a subaru forrester and if so, do you think the trunk space will be big enough when he is a fully grown rhodesian ridgeback?

He'll be in the back seat probably more than anything, but should some humans want a seat, he'll have to be put in the back area.

Thanks in advance.

(I can't find any heigh specifications online of the car).

Bumping up this post... MAZNAT - Did you end up getting the Forester?

Just chiming in as usual...

I proudly fit a 26kg Labrador, grocery shopping, assorted dog and kid paraphernalia, a bunch of rain gear, netball chairs AND two lanky teenage girls plus one friend in my little Hyundai i20.

I reckon we look like the clown car at the circus. Thank Maude it's not painted yellow.

I proudly fit a 26kg Labrador, grocery shopping, assorted dog and kid paraphernalia, a bunch of rain gear, netball chairs AND two lanky teenage girls plus one friend in my little Hyundai i20.

I reckon we look like the clown car at the circus. Thank Maude it's not painted yellow.

Wow that's impressive!eek1.gif Apparently the i30's have a decent size boot too.

:)

Go on ... go the whole hog & paint it yellow!

Wow that's impressive!eek1.gif Apparently the i30's have a decent size boot too.

They do biggrin.gif

People always doubt his boot space and are then amazed when we can fit whatever it is into it.

I actually feel like we had more room in my ford fiesta hatchback than my mitsubshi lancer sedan too. The seats folded down, we had the back seat AND the hatch for canines.

With the lancer, while it is an awesome car, I do have concerns about dogs and babies in the back seats together. Dogs might be riding shotgun and OH in the back with baby until we can afford a second car. Will def be another hatch though!

:laugh: :laugh: Your hilarious SM..

I have an i30 wagon.2011 model.I brought the run out model & saved $$$ Fabulous car. Very reliable & cheap to run. I'm really happy with it. Dogs seem to have enough room in the back. Mr BCC fitted a cargo barrier for me so they travel safely. They both lay down & Sonny is a big lad. i30's are deceiving as they look rather small on the outside.

Edited by BC Crazy