Greyhound Carcasses Found In Bundaberg Bushland

Maddy

M-J,

There is no other breed of dog killed in the numbers that Greyhounds are every year by the racing industry.

If Greyhounds live such happy and active lives, why are so many healthy dogs in the PRIME of their lives killed every year?

Exactly.

I'm sure there are track bred greys out there living comfortable lives with trainers, but no amount of wonderful treatment of any or all of these dogs will EVER justify the fact that thousands and thousands of 'surplus' track bred greyhounds will continue to be killed year after year after year. No matter by what means they are killed, the plain outrageous fact is, that thousands will be killed, and nothing can ever justify that.

For our greed, entertainment and viewing pleasure :mad :mad

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I think this is why I have changed my mind over any/all practises involving animals and lots of money passing hands. I can't justify to myself the unnessecary loss of animal life for my entertainment anymore.

Here's a question for those of you in the know. What would happen to the greyhound racing industry if the public gambling aspect was removed? Would owners/trainers with great dogs still want to meet? Would those who love to see great dogs achieving great things still come and watch? Would it reduce the number of dogs bred and discarded? Would it stop blooding? Would/could it become like obedience trials or the range of other sporting activities that enthusiasts and their dogs like to participate in and watch without it being about money?

M-J,

There is no other breed of dog killed in the numbers that Greyhounds are every year by the racing industry.

If Greyhounds live such happy and active lives, why are so many healthy dogs in the PRIME of their lives killed every year?

Exactly.

I'm sure there are track bred greys out there living comfortable lives with trainers, but no amount of wonderful treatment of any or all of these dogs will EVER justify the fact that thousands and thousands of 'surplus' track bred greyhounds will continue to be killed year after year after year. No matter by what means they are killed, the plain outrageous fact is, that thousands will be killed, and nothing can ever justify that.

For our greed, entertainment and viewing pleasure :mad :mad

Well said. There is NO EXCUSE for an industry thriving on such cruelty and wastage of beautiful creatures.

Yep, I think this is why I have changed my mind over any/all practises involving animals and lots of money passing hands. I can't justify to myself the unnessecary loss of animal life for my entertainment anymore.

Here's a question for those of you in the know. What would happen to the greyhound racing industry if the public gambling aspect was removed? Would owners/trainers with great dogs still want to meet? Would those who love to see great dogs achieving great things still come and watch? Would it reduce the number of dogs bred and discarded? Would it stop blooding? Would/could it become like obedience trials or the range of other sporting activities that enthusiasts and their dogs like to participate in and watch without it being about money?

Yes, how many dogs die for failing Flyball lessons or not winning the Flyball races?

I'd guess it would be zero - I have a failure here, he's been with me for 15 years.

I've been out the back at a vet, holding a greyhound while it was put to sleep in front of other dead greyhounds. That poor dog struggled and was obviously very distressed. Then there are the dogs who fight the drugs- they scream and struggle and it's horrific to watch. And on one occasion a dog who, several minute after receiving a full dose, still had a heartbeat and shallow respiration. A careless vet might have just bagged that dog up and tossed it out the back to die slowly of asphyxiation in the bag.

yep, not always a quick and easy death. I worked at an RSPCA shelter/pound for 10 years.

I'm just sickened by the posturing and obvious lying and arse covering done by officials and those in the regulatory bodies.

Just make it an amateur sport and don't allow betting. Oh wait, all those government talking heads wringing their hands WONT do this because of the revenues generated by gambling.

Honestly, people make me want to vomit.

Well I think if you take out the gambling not that much would change for the dogs - it wouldnt be such a big spectator sport but just as tens of thousands participate in other dog sports which are not normally on the tab each week you would still get sponsors and prize money and the feelings of breeding , training and winning. They will still chuck out the dogs that dont win and they will still look for methods of training them that might help them get the ribbon.

Well I think if you take out the gambling not that much would change for the dogs - it wouldnt be such a big spectator sport but just as tens of thousands participate in other dog sports which are not normally on the tab each week you would still get sponsors and prize money and the feelings of breeding , training and winning. They will still chuck out the dogs that dont win and they will still look for methods of training them that might help them get the ribbon.

Er no Steve,

16,000 Greyhounds are whelped each year for the express purpose of the sport which is inextricably linked to gambling.

So many thousand greyhounds are killed each year due to the rampant over breeding.

Take away the gambling, take away the incentive for over breeding. Then you take away the cruelty and the large scale killing.

Name a single breed in other dog sports where 55 of the breed are found in a mass grave with a bullet to the head or their skulls bashed in and spent cartridges and a baseball bat are found nearby?

Show us any evidence at all from anywhere around the world that has already banned greyhound racing where mass killings persisted 4 or 5 years after greyhound racing was banned.

LG if public or regulated gambling on the dogs was removed there are those who would still gamble and it would go underground, the same way as gambling on dog fighting flies under the radar. Everyone knows it happens but there's no regulating body and no one, in particular the ring leaders, ever seem to get caught.

I can't get the image of that beautiful greyhound on the fence out of my mind :cry: He looks so gentle and trusting. I hope those cruel dregs of humanity are duly punished and incarcerated for a very long time. Sadly I doubt it. For justice to be done these sub humans need to be incarcerated with animal loving inmates who would ensure that some kerb side petty session justice would take place.

Er no Steve,

16,000 Greyhounds are whelped each year for the express purpose of the sport which is inextricably linked to gambling.

So many thousand greyhounds are killed each year due to the rampant over breeding.

Take away the gambling, take away the incentive for over breeding. Then you take away the cruelty and the large scale killing.

Name a single breed in other dog sports where 55 of the breed are found in a mass grave with a bullet to the head or their skulls bashed in and spent cartridges and a baseball bat are found nearby?

Show us any evidence at all from anywhere around the world that has already banned greyhound racing where mass killings persisted 4 or 5 years after greyhound racing was banned.

So now the baseball bat was found nearby?? RE READ THE ARTICLE! Seriously I know you enjoy the hysteria but please try to stick to the facts presented so far.

HazyWal,

I actually hate hysteria and I am mortified and sickened by the turn of events.

This from the Courier Mail:

POLICE say some of the 55 greyhounds found in a mass grave in Bundaberg could have been beaten to death as investigators warn they have barely scratched the surface in exposing the greyhound racing industry’s dirty practices.

The Joint Greyhound Racing Inquiry Task Force, set up to investigate live baiting allegations uncovered by ABC’s Four Corners in February, has arrested 10 people on more than 30 charges in the past six weeks but says the problems already uncovered were just the tip of the iceberg.

A 0.22 calibre rifle and baseball bat were allegedly seized at the home of a Bundaberg greyhound trainer, with bullet casings found alongside the carcasses matching the calibre of the gun, police said.

DOGS DUMPED: Greyhound trainer charged

FALLOUT: Top official quits with warning to industry

A 64-year-old woman and her 71-year-old partner have both been charged with one count of unlawfully possessing a firearm.

Police say some of the 55 carcasses found at a rural Coonarr property, located 30 minutes from the woman’s home, appeared to have been shot, while others had caved-in heads, consistent with being hit.

Thanks for correcting me. The baseball bat which may have been used to bash some of the dogs skulls in was seized from the award winning registered trainer's home, not from the mass grave.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/some-of-the-55-greyhounds-in-mass-grave-may-have-been-beaten-to-death/story-fnn8dlfs-1227290667868

M-J,

Because they legally can kill the slow one to "make room" for the next Brett Lee, change laws, monitor and police with severe consequences for breaking those laws, it will reduce it dramatically.

As Cavnrott said take the industry and gambling away people will find another avenue to feed their addiction by taking it underground where it can't be monitored. That would be very bad news for the animals and the gamblers that can't pay their debt back. If it is monitored and owners are made accountable till the dog is rehomed the dogs lives will be saved, people won't lose jobs, gamblers can receive help (RCG legislation).

Er no Steve,

O.K So you believe that every person who is currently involved in the industry has as their only incentive the fact that the dogs can be bet on?

Do owners and trainers gamble on them more than the public? Im being sincere when I ask this as I really dont know. I don't know any huge grey owners or trainers but throughout my life Ive met many who owned and trained them for the love of the hobby in the hope of them winning,something to get them out of bed and be responsible for and some place to go and meet with other people etc never expecting huge financial gains from what they do - never getting much to even cover their expenses like many of the conformation show breeders.

Its difficult for me to see that if the legal gambling is removed that the gambling would ever really be removed or that there are that many people who do what they do as a hobby for all the other things they get out of it would not continue on.

@M-J,

It would be nice to think that all ex-racers and those that never made it to the track could be adopted.

Greyhound rescues and GAPs have been around for years and last year it is estimated that about 1,000 were saved and upwards of 12,000 were destroyed.

The stark reality is that healthy greyhounds are PTS in vast numbers everywhere in the world where greyhound betting is legal.

Some figures suggest that up to 90% of the dogs are re-homed in the US, a much better result than Australia. They have 35+ States that can take dogs where racing is banned and vastly superior public awareness of the issues.

As Mita states, Australia is the 3rd largest breeder of Greyhounds in the world but we have a small population so the numbers do not stack up.

O.K So you believe that every person who is currently involved in the industry has as their only incentive the fact that the dogs can be bet on?

No I don't. Why would you say I do?

I believe that killing 12,000+ healthy, vigorous, beautiful dogs every year because gambling exists is hideous.

The differences in other dog sports/showing are obvious.

Typically, for other breeds:

Dogs are bred roughly in numbers that meet demand - dogs are sold or shown or go into dog sports- dogs that don't make it go to pet homes

For Greyhounds

Dogs are rampantly over bred - dogs that show good confirmation or promising speed are sold, those that do not are killed, the process is repeated through the racing career cycle, ie, far too many dogs that can't win or placehave their lives ended prematurely.

It is estimated that only 1 in 15 are re-homed. 14 in 15 healthy pure bred dogs are killed.

And this happens year in and year out.

If you take away state sanctioned gambling on Greyhounds, you don't have the same numbers bred and subsequently killed each year.

@M-J,

It would be nice to think that all ex-racers and those that never made it to the track could be adopted.

Greyhound rescues and GAPs have been around for years and last year it is estimated that about 1,000 were saved and upwards of 12,000 were destroyed.

The stark reality is that healthy greyhounds are PTS in vast numbers everywhere in the world where greyhound betting is legal.

Some figures suggest that up to 90% of the dogs are re-homed in the US, a much better result than Australia. They have 35+ States that can take dogs where racing is banned and vastly superior public awareness of the issues.

As Mita states, Australia is the 3rd largest breeder of Greyhounds in the world but we have a small population so the numbers do not stack up.

Yes we have an exsisting problem and something needs to be done about it, but stopping the industry tomorrow won't help the exsisting greys, it will kill them. to change laws etc will save them. If regos are increased by certain % and the extra revenue channelled into an independent body to monitor and police greyhound's lives before, during and after their racing career how can that be harmful?

Er no Steve,

Do owners and trainers gamble on them more than the public? Im being sincere when I ask this as I really dont know. I don't know any huge grey owners or trainers but throughout my life Ive met many who owned and trained them for the love of the hobby in the hope of them winning,something to get them out of bed and be responsible for and some place to go and meet with other people etc never expecting huge financial gains from what they do - never getting much to even cover their expenses like many of the conformation show breeders.

Its difficult for me to see that if the legal gambling is removed that the gambling would ever really be removed or that there are that many people who do what they do as a hobby for all the other things they get out of it would not continue on.

I never bet on my own dogs.

Could never get decent odds on them when I knew they were running well. The track spies made sure of that :laugh:

I have a genuine question. If registration costs are raised, what makes people think that trainers will choose to rehome or place their dogs into rehoming programs rather than opt to euth as many do now?

There are some that use industry funded programs or rehome privately but I've heard first hand what trainers think of GAP and other rescues and it's not positive.

No I don't. Why would you say I do?

I believe that killing 12,000+ healthy, vigorous, beautiful dogs every year because gambling exists is hideous.

The differences in other dog sports/showing are obvious.

Typically, for other breeds:

Dogs are bred roughly in numbers that meet demand - dogs are sold or shown or go into dog sports- dogs that don't make it go to pet homes

For Greyhounds

Dogs are rampantly over bred - dogs that show good confirmation or promising speed are sold, those that do not are killed, the process is repeated through the racing career cycle, ie, far too many dogs that can't win or placehave their lives ended prematurely.

It is estimated that only 1 in 15 are re-homed. 14 in 15 healthy pure bred dogs are killed.

And this happens year in and year out.

If you take away state sanctioned gambling on Greyhounds, you don't have the same numbers bred and subsequently killed each year.

Sorry I thought when you said 'take away the gambling, take away the incentive for over breeding' that you were saying that you thought gambling was the cause of the over breeding and not the will to win whether there is gambling or not.